House Price Crash Forum

Trade deficit getting worse.

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

I'm more relaxed about Trump than Brexit.

Trump will mellow quickly and its all about getting the right advisors.  Brexit is more structural and will mess things up.

HOLA444
35 minutes ago, durhamborn said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37920692

Crash the pound so import prices shoot up with nothing to export.The US election wont divert eyes from our mess for long.

Yeah, often overlooked that bit.

Oh well. At least the Chinese will be able to have a good holiday in London before they tour the area they are going to buy their rental properties.

HOLA445
6 minutes ago, Futuroid said:

Yeah, often overlooked that bit.

Oh well. At least the Chinese will be able to have a good holiday in London before they tour the area they are going to buy their rental properties.

Well, at least you're now seeing one part of why we're in a fundamentally screwed-up, unsustainable situation. Just need to put two and two together now to work out why wanting to get back to importing lots and exporting rather less doesn't add up...

HOLA446
2 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I'm more relaxed about Trump than Brexit.

Trump will mellow quickly and its all about getting the right advisors.  Brexit is more structural and will mess things up.

And Trump is for five years (or ten at the absolute limit).

Brexit is forever.

HOLA447
Just now, Riedquat said:

Well, at least you're now seeing one part of why we're in a fundamentally screwed-up, unsustainable situation. Just need to put two and two together now to work out why wanting to get back to importing lots and exporting rather less doesn't add up...

Is it because the country is overcrowded?

(Or perhaps just the South East really because they told everyone to "get on their bike" and they did). 

We have needed to export more for years. Osborne was going to rebalance the economy. It's easier to say it than it is to do it though. Especially within a two year timeframe.

HOLA448

7 minutes ago, Futuroid said:

And Trump is for five years (or ten at the absolute limit).

Brexit is forever.

I doubt Brexit if it happens will be for ever.

All it does is mean we'll eventually get more tightly integrated in the future as a new applications to join will come with the Euro etc.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

We have not had a trade or industrial policy for decades.

We have had one that pumps up land, house, commercial property prices and the share prices of those companies already in the game.

Result - almost complete blocker to diversification and the creation / growth of new business.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
10 minutes ago, onlyme2 said:

We have not had a trade or industrial policy for decades.

We have had one that pumps up land, house, commercial property prices and the share prices of those companies already in the game.

Result - almost complete blocker to diversification and the creation / growth of new business.

I disagree. It was our EU overlords that prevented us from forming a coherent industrial policy. 

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Just now, onlyme2 said:

Didn't help, big government goes hand in hand with big business interests and lots of lovely regulation to lock out others.

It was the immigrants as well. Don't forget them! They must have been taking lessons from Uri Geller to influence UK trade and industrial policy in the 80s.  

Well, now the EU and immigrants will go away as excuses. What will it be next time I wonder?

As an aside, it's amazing how people have forgotten about the bankers isn't it? It's almost as if you people a simple narrative and keep repeating it over and over eventually they think it's true... a few even think it was their own idea in the first place.

HOLA4415
4 minutes ago, Futuroid said:

It was the immigrants as well. Don't forget them! They must have been taking lessons from Uri Geller to influence UK trade and industrial policy in the 80s.  

Well, now the EU and immigrants will go away as excuses. What will it be next time I wonder?

As an aside, it's amazing how people have forgotten about the bankers isn't it? It's almost as if you people a simple narrative and keep repeating it over and over eventually they think it's true... a few even think it was their own idea in the first place.

Our high street bank's lending to manufacturing business 1.5%.

Too busy troughing on debt and bubbles elsewhere, bankrolled by low interest rates.

So yes, very, very much part of the problem and there was no intention at all to either reform the banks or indeed the direction of the economy in general.

Only more of the same shit from the central bank and Osborne & Co.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
10 minutes ago, onlyme2 said:

Our high street bank's lending to manufacturing business 1.5%.

Too busy troughing on debt and bubbles elsewhere, bankrolled by low interest rates.

So yes, very, very much part of the problem and there was no intention at all to either reform the banks or indeed the direction of the economy in general.

Only more of the same shit from the central bank and Osborne & Co.

I hear ya.

But we've taken back control so let's make America great again.

HOLA4419

Who cares about fundamentals?...this time is different.

Seriously though the attempt to 'rebalance' was a joke...I think because the rebalance would rebalance wealth between the rich and normal folk - assets and labour - and we can't have that, can we?

HOLA4420
2 minutes ago, Wayward said:

Who cares about fundamentals?...this time is different.

Seriously though the attempt to 'rebalance' was a joke...I think because the rebalance would rebalance wealth between the rich and normal folk - assets and labour - and we can't have that, can we?

But now that has all changed right? Because before, it was the Tories who believed in free market Capitalism in charge.

And now it's the Tories who believe in free market Capitalism in charge.

I can see it's all going to change. We've taken back control though, so I'm waiting with baited breath for some sweeping changes to Britain's industrial and trade policy to help reduce the influence of big global businesses.

Giving them access to the PM and agreeing secret deals is a step in the right direction. Power to the people!

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Am I showing my age by remembering when interest rates were raised to help lower the balance of trade deficit?

Make the plebs mortgage go up a bit to stop them spending so much on imported tat.

It just shows what a mess everything is that they cannot even do that now.

HOLA4423
22 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Maybe, but what if campaign Trump really is Trump. 

Well, that would be an honest campaign by Trump if that werethe case. It certainly is clear that campaign Brexit promises aren't Brexit deliverables.

HOLA4424
24 minutes ago, SirGaz said:

Am I showing my age by remembering when interest rates were raised to help lower the balance of trade deficit?

Make the plebs mortgage go up a bit to stop them spending so much on imported tat.

It just shows what a mess everything is that they cannot even do that now.

I wonder how much of that imported tat is bought on credit cards whose balance isn't paid off every month?

Cheap and lax credit has totally unbalanced the economy in general. 

HOLA4425