House Price Crash Forum

login now required for BBC iPlayer from 2017

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

And they will move to requiring a postcode which won't be used for licence enforcement now but "may" be in the future.

Great news IMO.  The BBC has been pushing that everyone should pay for the BBC and the government (John Whittingdale IIRC) has been pushing that user pays and has clearly won.

So no broadband tax and if you watch the BBC then you pay.  Which is entirely fair.

This has happened very quickly so the next step, putting BBC live broadcasts behind a subscription paywall, may not be far behind.

At which point I may get a telly again. 

It's good when things are actually done fairly, even if the BBC had to be forced to do it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37477229

HOLA442

My TV licence is about to expire and I was planning on not paying it for the first time ever, since I don't watch TV or iPlayer.

But yeah, I have no argument with putting iPlayer behind a login system. Tie it to an instance of a TV licence if you want.

At the moment I don't think I'd want to use iPlayer to the point that I'd buy a TV licence; perhaps if the BBC uploaded more archive programming (which they're bound to be doing - upload as much of the archives as you can and then invite the world to pay to subscribe to it) and then then it would become more attractive.

HOLA443

I concur. It's time that us licence payers stopped feeling like mugs for coughing up every year. 

Though because of comments on here I've often felt like a wimp for paying my licence, but am too much of a conformist to avoid paying it. 

HOLA444
11 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

I concur. It's time that us licence payers stopped feeling like mugs for coughing up every year. 

Though because of comments on here I've often felt like a wimp for paying my licence, but am too much of a conformist to avoid paying it. 

Why do you need to watch TV ? Is it because you are a conformist ;-)

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

A postcode is generally for more than one property. And even if they did manage to get it down to your a single place. Unless they have access to your actual streaming records. All you would have to say is you signed up for it but never used it. Impossible for them to prove otherwise.

And it may well be true as well.

HOLA449

The logical thing would be to log in with your TV licence number surely? Each licence (let's be generous) allows six devices to access iPlayer simultaneously. Job done.

It's such a simple solution, you wonder why no-one at the BBC has suggested it...

On a related note I deleted the iPlayer app when the licence requirement came in. I asked iPlayer why the app description does not state that a TV licence is required to use the app (or risk prosecution) - rather an important piece of information I would have thought. The reply I got was they didn't want to discourage people from downloading the app and browsing what was on offer. I prefer my theory that it would make them an absolute laughing stock...

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I just filled in the opt-out form as I've literally not watched any live TV in over 2 years. Very rarely used iPlayer so happy to stop using it altogether now that I don't have a license.

This is what their webpage says when you opt out:

Remember – if any of your circumstances change, such as you start watching live TV on any channel or device or watching BBC programmes on iPlayer - you must buy a TV Licence. It’s the law.

All a bit 1984 sounding, isn't it really?

HOLA4412

Keep us posted what happens Joe, whether there's a follow up visit or whatever.

It used to exasperate my ex that I wouldn't do this, my argument was that the police do not assume that I'm running a cannabis farm in the loft just because I haven't informed them that I'm not so doing so the BBC's assumption that I am breaking the law is insulting and not deserving of a response.

HOLA4413

I looked at filling out the opt out form online but when I got to the bit where they say they will have to send out an inspector anyway I thought F it, If they are going to send someone anyway, why waste my time filling in the stupid form.

2 years later no one has been around to check me out, I just get letters =every couple of months with various level of threat.

HOLA4414
4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Keep us posted what happens Joe, whether there's a follow up visit or whatever.

It used to exasperate my ex that I wouldn't do this, my argument was that the police do not assume that I'm running a cannabis farm in the loft just because I haven't informed them that I'm not so doing so the BBC's assumption that I am breaking the law is insulting and not deserving of a response.

Yeah I don't know whether I've done the right thing by filling it out - I even gave them my bloody phone number. I assume if they contact me to perform an inspection I'm not obliged to make time for them.

Regardless of whether they set foot in my flat or not, they've got nothing on me as I honestly don't need a license.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Don't give any information to the British Buggering Corporation, how many times do people need to be told. 

Go over the TV License resistance forum and education yourself about the 'inspectors' - in reality commission paid goons and go legally license free.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
18 minutes ago, ThePiltdownMan said:

"TV Licensing has access to the information but the BBC says it has no current plans to use it for enforcement purposes."

I am quite suspicious of why they are not linking it to the license in some way. 

Could be data protection issues with passing the information to the goons.

HOLA4420
10 hours ago, Bossybabe said:

If you watch BBC then it's very honest of you to do so.

If I watched BBC I would do the same.  And in fact I'd like to think most here would.

I may actually start buying a licence now..    in part because my wife quite likes some of their programming (beyond my comprehension) but also because it feels like they are becoming more honest about it rather than just trying to hold everyone to ransom.    Now if they'd just produce some programming I'd enjoy watching too that'd be the icing on the cake :)

10 hours ago, ccc said:

I wonder how this will work with TV's that already have i-player installed.

Presumably most TVs will have a live-update functionality ?

HOLA4421

Presumably IPlayer won't work unless I sign up for it. I for one am peed off with "smart" TVs offering dumb facilities and services you don't want! It clutters my screen!:o

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
On 27/09/2016 at 9:22 AM, LiveinHope said:

Why do you need to watch TV ? Is it because you are a conformist ;-)

Because I want to learn. I don't watch soaps, mass-market quizzes, game shows or anything mind-numbing. I watch BBC2 & BBC4 docs. Plus, being disabled, I don't get out much. 

HOLA4424
31 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

Because I want to learn. I don't watch soaps, mass-market quizzes, game shows or anything mind-numbing. I watch BBC2 & BBC4 docs. Plus, being disabled, I don't get out much. 

You conformist!

I watch as much TV as I ever did but am more selective about it.  That is the upside.  The downside is that the quality is erratic and I may have to try several videos before finding one worth watching on a particular subject.  The advantage of the BBC2 and BBC4 docs is that they have already been through that quality control and they may suggest something which I hadn't thought of watching but would enjoy.

I suppose that this would be my ideal; the BBC slimming down to be a genuine public service broadcaster educating and enlightening (but not entertaining) so without the soaps, drama soaps, sport, films, reality, time fillers etc.  If they did this then the licence would be about £20 a year and I would be delighted to pay it.

It won't happen as most of their top paid managers would be made redundant; turkeys don't vote for Christmas. 

HOLA4425
10 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

You conformist!

I watch as much TV as I ever did but am more selective about it.  That is the upside.  The downside is that the quality is erratic and I may have to try several videos before finding one worth watching on a particular subject.  The advantage of the BBC2 and BBC4 docs is that they have already been through that quality control and they may suggest something which I hadn't thought of watching but would enjoy.

I suppose that this would be my ideal; the BBC slimming down to be a genuine public service broadcaster educating and enlightening (but not entertaining) so without the soaps, drama soaps, sport, films, reality, time fillers etc.  If they did this then the licence would be about £20 a year and I would be delighted to pay it.

It won't happen as most of their top paid managers would be made redundant; turkeys don't vote for Christmas. 

Pretty much

I'm very grateful for the BBC that influenced the career I ended up following; during the 70s the World About Us, the single programme A Blank on The Map, Young Scientist of the Year, The Royal Institution's Christmas Lectures, and Horizon were formative. Now I don't need the BBC. But then, for education, it was formative.

Archived