House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
4 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

That's one side of the equation, the other is our new trade partner will regards a trade deal with the EU as much more valuable than one with just the UK 

Let's just put this nonsense argument to bed once and for all. We are the 6th most important country on the planet for others to do a trade deal with out of 196.

This constant referral to the EU being more important than us really is incredibly weak. 

Countries will be lining up to do deals with us. End of story. 

HOLA442
7 hours ago, Sheeple Splinter said:

Up yours, Cameron!

I don't think anyone in the Conservative party really wants the keys to number 10 at the moment.

Another election would be an indulgence too far at this point (cost £100-200 million down the drain and another 6-8 weeks out of the Brexit negotiating schedule) and imagine if the Tories lost big, which is looking quite likely? 

The DUP MPs apparently aren't even physically at the UK parliament full time, and the "Salisbury convention" (the HOL waving through anything that appeared in the governing party's manifesto) does not apply if there is no outright majority! All it will take is a few Tories or DUP members to get the flu and TM has no majority.

Once her inability to get anything through parliament becomes apparent, there will likely be another GE this year.

HOLA443
3 hours ago, ccc said:

Let's just put this nonsense argument to bed once and for all. We are the 6th most important country on the planet for others to do a trade deal with out of 196.

This constant referral to the EU being more important than us really is incredibly weak. 

They'll be lining up to exploit our desperation to be seen to be doing deals.

If Australia and India, to take two commonwealth examples, were so keen on free trade, why do they not have an FTA with each other?

HOLA444
3 hours ago, ccc said:

Why do you assume Britain will stay the 6th most important country on the planet outside the EU?

HOLA445
5 hours ago, ccc said:

Go on then let's hear your reasoned argument as to why it's nonsense.

Clue blathering on about us being the 6th largest economy doesn't constitute a reasoned argument.

HOLA446
5 hours ago, ccc said:

The EU is the second most important economy in the world (if you use nominal GDP), easily overshadows the UK.  

HOLA447

UK running out of time for Brexit talks, EU's chief negotiator warns

Mr Barnier told the Financial Times: "My preoccupation is that time is passing, it is passing quicker than anyone believes because the subjects we have to deal with are extraordinarily complex. "It will take us several months to draw out the conditions of an orderly withdrawal. Let’s not waste time. "I’ll say it clearly: there’s no spirit of revenge, no punishment, no naivety either. And there is truth. Truth on what Brexit means, what leaving the EU signifies by its consequences. The citizens have the right to know." "Lots" of Britons underestimated what those consequences would be, he added.

The European Union's chief negotiator has said "I can't negotiate with myself". Independent

I have read that the Brexit negotiations could be delayed for a year, on top of a year already passed since the Brexit referendum.

Edited by rollover

HOLA448
5 hours ago, ccc said:

That's right you have to keep thinking positive. I am looking forward to Saturday night at our local disco when hot model-type girls will be lining up for me. Can't not happen. 

HOLA449
2 hours ago, Futuroid said:

I don't think anyone in the Conservative party really wants the keys to number 10 at the moment.

Another election would be an indulgence too far at this point (cost £100-200 million down the drain and another 6-8 weeks out of the Brexit negotiating schedule) and imagine if the Tories lost big, which is looking quite likely? 

The DUP MPs apparently aren't even physically at the UK parliament full time, and the "Salisbury convention" (the HOL waving through anything that appeared in the governing party's manifesto) does not apply if there is no outright majority! All it will take is a few Tories or DUP members to get the flu and TM has no majority.

Once her inability to get anything through parliament becomes apparent, there will likely be another GE this year.

Which is why the queens speech will be very short.

honestly - what a complete mess.

still maybe the pain is needed in order to properly trash the Tories.

Keep your powder dry Labour.

HOLA4410
2 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

They'll be lining up to exploit our desperation to be seen to be doing deals.

If Australia and India, to take two commonwealth examples, were so keen on free trade, why do they not have an FTA with each other?

I have no idea. We are talking about the UK here. And the fact that however messed up this place already is - we are still incredibly attractive for nearly every country in the World to trade with.

2 hours ago, rollover said:

Why do you assume Britain will stay the 6th most important country on the planet outside the EU?

Because I don't know and either do you so what's your point ? We may move up to 5th. We may move down to 7th. Really makes very little difference. Unless we slip massively then we are an important trading nation. End of story.

56 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Go on then let's hear your reasoned argument as to why it's nonsense.

Clue blathering on about us being the 6th largest economy doesn't constitute a reasoned argument.

So ask me for an explanation and in the process point out what I am not allowed to respond with. Brilliant. :lol:

Us being one of the Worlds prime trading nations DOES constitute a reasoned argument. To think otherwise is absolute bonkers.

Why are you so bothered with us trading with the EU because they are an 'Important' trading bloc ? What's the difference ? We are important within the EU - we are important outwith the EU. There's very little else to be said on the matter.

47 minutes ago, slawek said:

The EU is the second most important economy in the world (if you use nominal GDP), easily overshadows the UK.  

Well that's fantastic. It adds nothing to the point I was making though. We are right at the top of the list of trading nations/blocs of the World. This in undeniable.

29 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

That's right you have to keep thinking positive. I am looking forward to Saturday night at our local disco when hot model-type girls will be lining up for me. Can't not happen. 

What's 'positive' about just realising that the UK is seen as a very important global trading nation ? Its just a fact.

HOLA4411
33 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Which is why the queens speech will be very short.

honestly - what a complete mess.

still maybe the pain is needed in order to properly trash the Tories.

Keep your powder dry Labour.

This is at last something I think all on this thread agree upon. :D

HOLA4412
11 minutes ago, ccc said:

Because I don't know and either do you so what's your point ? We may move up to 5th. We may move down to 7th. Really makes very little difference. Unless we slip massively then we are an important trading nation. End of story.

But don't you realise it's only because of the EU that we're not comparable with, say Sudan, and we'll be there within a couple of years!

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
1 hour ago, ccc said:

I have no idea. We are talking about the UK here. And the fact that however messed up this place already is - we are still incredibly attractive for nearly every country in the World to trade with.

So ask me for an explanation and in the process point out what I am not allowed to respond with. Brilliant. :lol:

Us being one of the Worlds prime trading nations DOES constitute a reasoned argument. To think otherwise is absolute bonkers.

Why are you so bothered with us trading with the EU because they are an 'Important' trading bloc ? What's the difference ? We are important within the EU - we are important outwith the EU. There's very little else to be said on the matter.

Well that's fantastic. It adds nothing to the point I was making though. We are right at the top of the list of trading nations/blocs of the World. This in undeniable.

What's 'positive' about just realising that the UK is seen as a very important global trading nation ? Its just a fact.

So you admit you have no idea what drives trade deals, yet feel qualified to opine that the rest of the world will be queueing up to give us favourable  trade deals.    

Anyway its all academic, another one of those great big dots you are unable to join up has just appeared:

https://www.forexfactory.com/news.php?do=news&id=672917

HOLA4415
1 hour ago, Riedquat said:

But don't you realise it's only because of the EU that we're not comparable with, say Sudan, and we'll be there within a couple of years!

Ah yes - stupid me !!

1 minute ago, Confusion of VIs said:

So you admit you have no idea what drives trade deals, yet feel qualified to opine that the rest of the world will be queueing up to give us favourable  trade deals.    

Anyway its all academic, another one of those great big dots you are unable to join up has just appeared:

https://www.forexfactory.com/news.php?do=news&id=672917

I have an idea what drives trade deals at a high level. TRADE. Its fairly self explanatory. I don't know the specific details of the one you asked about and I really cannot be bothered delving deep into it. We are talking about the UK here.

As for the link - can't see any detail. Feel free to explain to us simpletons.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
2 hours ago, ccc said:

I have no idea. We are talking about the UK here. And the fact that however messed up this place already is - we are still incredibly attractive for nearly every country in the World to trade with..

18 minutes ago, cashinmattress said:

Yep. You voted for and still blindly support Brexit...and remain so blatantly ambivalent to Westminster's mishandling of the UK.

EU bad. Haha. Really?

Attention to detail ain't your strong point is it. :lol:

That was barely two hours ago.

5 minutes ago, rollover said:

That explains a lot! Well, an interesting twist.

HOLA4419
2 hours ago, ccc said:

Ah yes - stupid me !!

I have an idea what drives trade deals at a high level. TRADE. Its fairly self explanatory. I don't know the specific details of the one you asked about and I really cannot be bothered delving deep into it. We are talking about the UK here.

As for the link - can't see any detail. Feel free to explain to us simpletons.

There you are, I don't think it really needs much explanation.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-uk-eu-withdrawal-open-doors-change-mind-german-finance-minister-wolfgang-sch-uble-a7787736.html

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Theresa May should admit result is a rejection of hard Brexit, says EU negotiator

Guy Verhofstadt urged the Conservative party to no longer allow “your internal catfight” to put prosperity at risk in both Britain and the EU. “It is currently unclear if the UK government will stick to the hard Brexit it announced in her letter of 29 March, or if they will soften their approach after the outcome of the election,” Mr Verhofstadt said. “In my humble opinion, the refusal of a hard Brexit was one of the elements that influenced the results.”

He told the Tory party: “For years now already, your internal catfight, that started under Cameron, has taken the EU hostage and has been hampering your as our economy. “It is blocking us from further reforming and modernizing the Union. Frankly, we have seen enough of it.”

At a Brussels press conference, he urged Ms May to change direction, saying: “Brexit isn’t just about the Tories leaving the EU, it's about the whole UK. Everyone’s voice should be heard.” Independent

Strong words coming from EU, they are becoming bit impatient.

HOLA4422

Regardless of whether we agree with him or not, Mr. Verhofstadt should probably keep his mouth shut and his nose out of our business. He should limit his comments to matters on his side of the negotiating table only, and not matters concerning elections in other sovereign nations.

Grossly unprofessional, in my view.

I would just cut the EU off now and leave tonight. We owe them nothing and are not obliged to negotiate anything with them at all.

Edited by Errol

HOLA4423

Remainers and EUrophiles seem to love trying to claim that the result of the election is due to the Conservative's Brexit stance. It's about as blatant a case of trying to twist anything to your own agenda that isn't backed up by facts as you can get. Nothing changed in the campaign about Brexit, and the Conservatives were looking strong then. It's just sheer desperation to claim that it said anything at all about Brexit, one way or the other. It had a lot to do with headlines with "Dementia Tax!" and so on.

HOLA4424
1 minute ago, Riedquat said:

Remainers and EUrophiles seem to love trying to claim that the result of the election is due to the Conservative's Brexit stance. It's about as blatant a case of trying to twist anything to your own agenda that isn't backed up by facts as you can get. Nothing changed in the campaign about Brexit, and the Conservatives were looking strong then. It's just sheer desperation to claim that it said anything at all about Brexit, one way or the other. It had a lot to do with headlines with "Dementia Tax!" and so on.

You lost, get over it.

HOLA4425
17 minutes ago, pig said:

You lost, get over it.

What have I lost? I didn't even vote Conservative but spoiled my paper in the end. I voted for no-one, and no-one won! I was considering it when the election was announced but I didn't like anything about all the non-Brexit stuff in their campaign. There is more to life than staying or leaving the EU you know.

From a practical view the election result makes the job of the government pushing through whatever they want much harder, if not impossible. I wouldn't even say that that's a bad thing, but it'll depend upon the details. Stating that it's a rejection of Brexit by the population though is not supported by any evidence and is desperate twisting wishful thinking by Remainers and, it appears, the EU itself.

Edited by Riedquat