[Video] Why London Is Not The Greatest City In The World

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Has anyone (apart from politicians) said London is the world's greatest city? It has plus points and minus points (particularly the cost) just like any other city. If you don't like it, move to Middlesbrough or Rome!

In fact, given the impossibility of experiencing life in all the world's cities, how can anyone make such a statement?

HOLA448

Has a good point on multiculturalism and globalisation. I went to new york. Felt like I hadnt left London.

But she has a bee in her bonnet about not living in Putney or Clapham. I know id much rather live in Elephant and Castle than those places.

Edited by 999house

HOLA449

It's not even a good place to visit - because of the congestion/congested queues/congested transport/congested events/congestion charges.

Basically living there or visiting there it's a dump - unless that is you are exceptionally rich and even then it's still a dump.

A few years ago say even as recently as in the 70s/80s and even mid 90s it was better (alright a fair bit better). Apart from anything else how can a city with the most expensive and tiniest homes in the world that increasing numbers of people can't afford to buy (even a tiny flat) and are even stretched to rent claim to be anything other than a dump - and that's even without the effect of the awful congestion.

As she said "It ain't that great" - indeed and that's to say the very least.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Shouldnt it read 'London is the greatest ££££hole on earth?'

Indeed it is £££ for a few but even they have to live/work in The Dump. No doubt they pay for some insulation from it with chauffeured cars and flunkies etc.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Has anyone (apart from politicians) said London is the world's greatest city? It has plus points and minus points (particularly the cost) just like any other city. If you don't like it, move to Middlesbrough or Rome!

In fact, given the impossibility of experiencing life in all the world's cities, how can anyone make such a statement?

Hasn't it just become part of the standard marketing blurb for any major city in the world? You have to be seen to be claiming your city is the greatest to be able to "compete on the world stage"

If you try and look at it objectively, there are actually indices for the supposed best cities to live in from a quality of life perspective. The Guardian referenced one recently where Vienna ended up at the top and London was a lowly 39:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/feb/23/vienna-named-worlds-top-city-for-quality-of-life

Seems a bit low to me, but then I happen to live in a fairly nice part of London so I'm a bit biased. If I had been priced out like the woman in the video, I'd probably have a different view

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

It's not even the greatest city in England.

A lot of people in England, even in the south of England, hate London with a passion, that is indicating to me that it is over-rated by the VI`s who are always ranting on about London. London isn`t as exciting as it used to be, and anyone who thinks it offers a great quality of life probably doesn`t get about much outside London.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

London's interesting enough to visit for a day or two, any longer than that and I'm desperate to get out of the place. Still, I suppose I have to be grateful for it being an overcrowded, oversized mess, at least them all being jammed in there (and the surrounding area) means that there are fewer in the rest of the country. That's one of the reasons I view faster transport as a very bad thing, it'll make a London exodus easier.

HOLA4419

A lot of people in England, even in the south of England, hate London with a passion.

Sort of being like a Parisian when your Londoner. Because that is so true. Provincial twats who depend on London for a living, visit the sights, the restaurants and the hundred other things to do and then slag it off.

As for other cities in the UK saying there any that are close is plainly fantasy

It's not perfect but it never was

HOLA4420

Spreading the wealth around would help London to improve.

And we are just going to let that happen ? That's the problem for everyone outside London you think millions of us carve out lives and compete if we are easy going and not brought up in a dog eat dog city ?

HOLA4421

Depends what you want. If you like chauvinism, Riyadh is probably no1. If you like freezing your balls off, Reykjavik. If you like dirt, queues, and being ripped off, London is just the ticket.

Not sure how anyone can define 'worlds greatest city'...its personal preference. Havent been there in over 10 years, but I found Edinburgh just about perfect in terms of size, built environment etc. Weather was chilly and full of scots, but I guess nowhere is perfect.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Not sure how anyone can define 'worlds greatest city'...its personal preference. Havent been there in over 10 years, but I found Edinburgh just about perfect in terms of size, built environment etc. Weather was chilly and full of scots, but I guess nowhere is perfect.

Edinburgh is on my very small list of cities that I actually like (the others - liked York for the few years I was there, and always seem to end up somewhere with good beer in Sheffield). Never got to know any abroad.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

....it is said that poorer people especially the young move to the cities, the place where the streets are paved in gold, opportunities galore, and the rich work from the cities where they have a ready supply of people to sell to and who are willing to work at the right price.......what about the rest?......not a lot going for it. ;)