House Price Crash Forum

Brexit Leaflet Amusement

SarahBell

HOLA441

From the governments "In" campaign leaflet..
"The EU's Single Market has over 500 million customers and an economy over five times bigger than the UK's.."
Population of europe is ~ 10x population of UK, distributed over 28 countries with 18x the land area.. and they only manage to be 5x bigger than us.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

"The EU's Single Market has over 500 million customers and an economy over five times bigger than the UK's.."

Population of europe is ~ 10x population of UK, distributed over 28 countries with 18x the land area.. and they only manage to be 5x bigger than us.

Sounds like we're big enough to stand on our own two feet to me.

HOLA448

10x the population, 18x the land area, so the point is that there are already far too many people in the UK?

From the economic point of view that still ranges from "So what?" (unless complete and utter collapse was likely I couldn't really care less about the economic arguments) to, as others have said, "Looks like we should be fine on our own."

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Also that market has absolutely nothing to do with whether we are in or out of Europe.

We can easily arrange treaties once we are out.

Easily. According to Boris at least.

The reality is that we will be attempting to negotiate a whole host of different trade agreements against a tight deadline in a position of weakness with the help of lobbyists who will at every turn ensure that our corporations profit at the cost of the people of the UK.

HOLA4412
Guest BillyNI

If the UK is represented in anyway like the posts on the Internet, we are brexiting. Unless of course all the stay people are not bothering to post.

HOLA4413

Quick little factcheck - 508m people /65m = 8x bigger, not ten. E14bn/E2.2bn = over 6x larger, not "only 5".

I know the Brexiteers think they're entitled to their own universe with different facts from the real one, but it would be slightly strange if 8x population of one of the richer states weren't slightly less than 8x (ie over 6x) the economy.

HOLA4414

Quick little factcheck - 508m people /65m = 8x bigger, not ten. E14bn/E2.2bn = over 6x larger, not "only 5".

I know the Brexiteers think they're entitled to their own universe with different facts from the real one, but it would be slightly strange if 8x population of one of the richer states weren't slightly less than 8x (ie over 6x) the economy.

So if it's over 6 times larger why didn't the leaflet say that (could've been removing the UK's contribution though)? Sure, 6 times larger is also over 5 times larger, but putting it that way around doesn't play into the Leave campaign - and the quote marks make me think that the 5 figure was a quote from the leaflet, not the OP. Makes your "I know the Brexiteers think they're entitled to their own universe with different facts from the real one" statement look a bit amusing.

Edited by Riedquat

HOLA4415

If the UK is represented in anyway like the posts on the Internet, we are brexiting. Unless of course all the stay people are not bothering to post.

The 'INs' that I know were the same ones that were very vocal in the run up to the general election (generally Labour voters). Not heard from these people much, maybe less sure of the outcome so less shouty?

Edited by My Name Is ??

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Guest BillyNI

But, but what about those nice, but Oh so poor, politicians. Without trying I have got to double figures, to be celebrated with Champage when I hear they have croaked.

Do you realise that you make almost no F-ing sense? What are you but-ing about?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Guest BillyNI

You aspire to be an illiterate fuqtard. For you sense can only be made simpley, in green crayon.

Well that makes more sense. Well done!

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425