SpewLabour

HOLA441
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Interesting notes in your spoilers. I'll add my comments in line to your spoilers

The problems (major spoilers):

1. Is Rey overpowered? She doesn't know she has force powers but quickly masters some techniques and can defeat Kylo Ren in lightsaber combat. This one is a fair point considering the amount of training Luke and Anakin had. Probable explanations are that she is Luke or Han/Leia's daughter. I need a desktop wallpaper of the close up of her face during the lightsaber fight.

A: no...'she' didn't beat him. Luke did, through the oneness of the force channeled thru the lightsabre- note how Leia knew the moment indy dies and her 'flashbacks' at the cantina.

2. Kylo Ren got beaten by Rey. I have less of a problem with that than others do. He'd been shot by Chewie then Snoke indicates that his training wasn't complete. I expect him to be stronger in the next film, he's my favourite character.

3. No explanation of why there is a 'resistance' or the state of the Republic. Seems an odd choice of name.

A: the new baddies are a fringe or underground movement. The resistance are the hardcore remnants who still suspect the order. The Republic is still the large u wield beurocratic mess of management by mega committee that cannot do much. Consider the UN and the Cia.

4. Lack of an attack 'fleet' for the run on Starkiller base. Another fair criticism.

A: run down decommissioned. No longer relevant. Revolution and counter revolution. Always find the gunmen and drivers that form the revolution proper get put aside quite rapidly, often brutally. Seems reasonable that they would be marginalized, or related to hpc hobbyist status.

5. The section on Han's freighter. Easily the weakest bit of the film.

A: But lots of fun.

I'm pretty sure there was a lot lifted from robot chicken. If you've not seen that...you should :)

Despite all that though it was still really enjoyable.

EDIT - Forgot to say the second time I saw it was in 3D, first time in 2D. 3D doesn't add anything at all to the film for me, would recommend 2D.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Saw it, liked it, but felt the casting of the lead had PC stamped all over it. Another interracial couple with black male/white female.......yay for the media agenda gods. If he could have acted well (say, the guy that played LLando), I would have not noticed so much, but I just saw a lot of shouting and gimping.

battles and Han/Chewie stuff was cool though

Final comment - just how much plastic surgery has Leia had to prevent her opening her mouth when she talks!!!

HOLA447

I saw it in 3d and it seemed pretty well done, the plot is essentially that of the first film but I enjoyed it.

I thought the han solo bits worked well. I am actually looking forward to the next one.

Something I haven't said since the empire strikes back.

HOLA448

I'm still annoyed by this film, other than the girl who I thought was good actress.... and there was a good sabre battle.

Don't read unless watched movie.

There was no affinity with the pilots of the rebel craft, and I didn't really get their mission. They took the word of that guy, whereas in first movie the technical plans were smuggled out to show vulnerabilities.

Acting wooden, and dialogue lacking, - some sad faces and hugz - thinking Han and Leia

What a miserable outcome that was. If Han Solo could go back in time to when he was young-and-rangey, perhaps he would have put Princess Leia back in her cell, in New Hope (if that was name of very first release movie), given the outcome of the greatest space-romance, 'I love you' and 'I know'.

It's dark dark dark for younger viewers (and parents) for that outcome. Not right at all. Ok maybe this dark side can corrupt but that's bad - a real crime.

HOLA449

Re the girl and force.

I gave her a pass and didn't think any power came from the lightsabre/saber. Just accepted she might be a very rare individual with a strong natural ability, and super quick learning curve, once she had an insight into it.

It may turn out her parent(s) were strong with the force. How can she be Leia's/Han daughter if they didn't know her. Unless she was abandoned at very young age. Surely they wouldn't have left her. And if Luke abandoned her, living like a monk on isolated nowhere place, he's a bit of a super git.

HOLA4410

Watched it yesterday with my niece and nephew.

I must be getting old.

Yeah, sure it was OK but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it at the cinema with hind sight. Nor will I probably the next ones.

That's not to say it was a terrible film, but for me (as a non-Star Wars aficionado) it was pretty underwhelming considering the hype.

Lead girl was good. I didn't have a problem with the old cast but their scenes did seem to make the film drag.. squeezing in more story than possibly was necessary.

HOLA4411

Here's a comment I've not heard...I think the score was underused/underwhelming.

They're clearly tapping in to the nostalgia of the first film, missed a trick on the music.

P

I thought the point in the lightsabre duel when Rey closes her eyes and they play the "force communion" (?) leitmotif for the first time was one of the outstanding moments of the film for audience emotional response.

HOLA4412

Watched it yesterday with my niece and nephew.

I must be getting old.

Yeah, sure it was OK but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it at the cinema with hind sight. Nor will I probably the next ones.

That's not to say it was a terrible film, but for me (as a non-Star Wars aficionado) it was pretty underwhelming considering the hype.

Lead girl was good. I didn't have a problem with the old cast but their scenes did seem to make the film drag.. squeezing in more story than possibly was necessary.

Sums up my view of it which is why I haven't bothered.

The hype for this was off the scale, every news programme was talking about it. People at work were starting conversations about it.

I thought the original was great so I'm not anti it, but it's the ninth (I think) sequel, even Police Academy had thrown in the towel by that point.

HOLA4413

Sums up my view of it which is why I haven't bothered.

The hype for this was off the scale, every news programme was talking about it. People at work were starting conversations about it.

I thought the original was great so I'm not anti it, but it's the ninth (I think) sequel, even Police Academy had thrown in the towel by that point.

Disney paid I think $4bn for Lucasfilms, they need to make the money back somehow. They need the films to promote the toys and other merchandise.

HOLA4414

Disney paid I think $4bn for Lucasfilms, they need to make the money back somehow. They need the films to promote the toys and other merchandise.

Which is fair enough for Disney.

It's the massive amount of free press from the media that surprises me for what is now a very old and creaky franchise.

The year Star Wars came out I also saw Jaws; now if we were onto Jaws 10 nearly forty years later people would be pointing and sniggering, not queueing up at midnight.

HOLA4415

The fuss about star war is just a reflection on how battered our decaying society really is. It shows that:

1. Corporations are not humans, don't think like humans and cannot create like humans. All the bad decisions in this World, like war, famine, poverty and remaking old films is made by corporations.

2. People are thick, so corporations can get away with above.

3. This country needs a genuine crisis and some genuine hardship to take people minds of trivialities like star wars. Too few people working or doing anything important so they sit around talking about star wars and other shit.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

@ Ghostly.

In the film it's not clear that Han doesn't know her. He offers her a place on the Falcon and then the camera cuts away when he's about to explain to Maz Kanata who she is. Also she and Leia embrace when they first meet even though they haven't met before / don't know each other.

I agree that I don't think she got her abilities/any boost in skill from Luke's saber.

If I had a missing daughter I would be searching everywhere for her - not pulling dangerous cargo jobs. Any girl I met in my space travels who had any features of resemblance and of age to be daughter I'd hook up to scans.

Anyway Han was full of trying to find the Falcon 'Told you we should have double-checked the Western reaches' than any possible missing daughter.

Leia would have been broken by a missing daughter, but her personal misery was focused all on someone else (alive). Later I think it was an embrace of shared emotion that hug (Luke once said his sister also has the force - so Leia felt what went on later) - if it was a missing daughter it would have been total joy like at end of Tangled (Rapunzel), not just a sorry sad embrace. No way did Han and Leia have a missing daughter, unless their memories were wiped.

Clearly there is a mystery behind the parents but no way Han and Leia. And if Luke is her father, than he's a bad Dad.

In either the first or the second movie, didn't Yoda say something about the force even allowing some to see into the future... ? Perhaps she got a glimpse or possible future, from her high curve learning into a becoming. So like you, I don't think Luke was channelling anything to her. Just her being a natural/strong, once she got a little insight into the force, from when it was first used against her. If Luke was channelling stuff to her, than that's pretty sad. Although all this mystic force is a bit on the sad side.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Brief and easy to understand (just as I like it) valuation of the Star Wars franchise here....

Films are c 20% of total revenues. Toys/merchandising is phenomenal & just what Disney are good at.

Ford was reportedly paid c $15-$20m for reprising his role. New actors low 6 figures.

Aswath Damodaran @AswathDamodaran 21h21 hours ago

As a Star Wars fan, I did Yoda's bidding to "Value the Star Wars Franchise, you must", and I did, just for fun: http://******/1Zx3lEH

StarWarsPiechart.jpg

HOLA4423

$4bn was an absolute steal. They've bought an entire mythology, and a very popular one at that. Aside from the main trilogy of trilogies there's a whole timeline stretching back millennia, any number of characters you could make into films, a galaxy worth of stories all under the Star Wars umbrella.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived