House Price Crash Forum

Is This Really Happening In The Uk

geezer466

HOLA441

(Not for the Queasy or weak of stomach)

https://youtu.be/wEGhDEYtOlw

Surely we have more regulation that this..

Edit to add (by popular demand).

Video shows animal slaughter techniques first up the traditional and accepted method with the bolt gun the majority of the content focuses on the alleged barbarity of the halal method.

It was brought to my attention via the change.org site as petition to end the practice but I was of the opinion our legislation into animal protections even with the halal methods were strong.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

No we don't (have more regulation than this).

Nobody cares about animal cruelty unless it involves a cat being momentarily incommoded by a wheely bin.

Or possibly some kind of class-linked blood sport.

Not good news then.......

In which case the link to the online petition is here.

HOLA445
HOLA446

As graphic as that film was, I don't think non halal slaughter is much kinder and if we really stuck our noses into what happens to animals in the human food chain we'd be truly horrified and ashamed

The first few frames showed the application of the bolt gun (the traditional method) steel bolt fired straight into the brain. The animal is dead before it hits the floor. The other method leads to them bleeding to death for 5 or more minutes with their heads practically severed.

The two methods are miles apart.

HOLA447

The first few frames showed the application of the bolt gun (the traditional method) steel bolt fired straight into the brain. The animal is dead before it hits the floor. The other method leads to them bleeding to death for 5 or more minutes with their heads practically severed.

The two methods are miles apart.

I was just making a comment on animals as a raw material in the food chain and how they are treated in general by humans. But yes, a bolt is far quicker and cleaner.

Sorry, wasn't trying to detract from your opening post - what I should have said is "halal slaughter makes the miserable life of meat animals much, much worse"

HOLA448
HOLA449

You have to wonder if eating meat slaughtered in this way, with all the stress and fear induced hormones would make a society more aggressive?

After all, you are what you eat. Could eating halal meat actually be the cause of all the strife in the muslim world?

Baaaaaah!

HOLA4410

You have to wonder if eating meat slaughtered in this way, with all the stress and fear induced hormones would make a society more aggressive?

After all, you are what you eat. Could eating halal meat actually be the cause of all the strife in the muslim world?

Baaaaaah!

Absolute rubbish...However did anyone notice no pigs in the video?

Could it be the absence of pork in their diet?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Baaaaaah!

According to Hannibal Lecter the flesh of a terrified animal does taste noticeably more bitter.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

As graphic as that film was, non halal slaughter is pretty grim and if we really stuck our noses into what happens to animals in the human food chain we'd be truly horrified and ashamed

I'm not sure that you can trust the videos about cruelty to animals.

E.g. foie gras has a bad reputation in this country, based on a number of videos showing cruel (horrific, even) treatment of animals.

But I grew in deep ruralshire, France, where they raise the ducks and geese that make foie gras, and I struggle to reconcile what I've seen with my own eyes, with what various animal welfare groups are claiming is happening.

I'm sure that there are bad farms - the videos exist, after all. But you then have to trust the people who made the video when they claim that this is 'normal', as opposed to an exceptional situation that they deliberately sought out.

I also strongly suspect that the more industrial food chains are grimmer than the smallhold farmers, but that's just a hunch.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

It's pointless having any animal welfare standards in this country when you allow either halal / kosher slaughter to take place or halal / kosher meat to be imported.

If you're going to allow animals being routinely tortured as they die then you may as well go the whole hog and legalise dog fighting and badger baiting.

Edit: dog was auto-corrected to fig, which might have upset Pat.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Is there a difference between halal and kosher? I mean, apart from which particular bunch of evil thugs practices it?

Though a nasty death seems to me a far lesser cruelty than what happens to most farm animals throughout their short, cramped, artificial lives.

Kosher requires the animal to be concious whereas Halal allows the stunning of the animal first. Halal is no different to conventional other than a "prayer" mumbled incoherently by an employee as the knife goes in. Conventional slaughter requires the animal to be alive (but stunned) in order that the heart pumps the blood out of the flesh to avoid the "gamey" flavour you get in a pheasant or similar. As western tastes are for bland meat this bleeding process is a critical part of the slaughter. I believe (although I have seen no evidence to prove it) there a small number of ultra religious people that think Halal should also follow the same route as Kosher. However, in practice the very very large amount of Halal meat produced globally is simply through a standard slaughterhouse with the paid mumbling. Huge (tens of millions) amounts of animals are slaughtered in this way annually and the resultant meat is sometimes labelled sometimes not, depending on the volume of (Halal) demand.

If having some incoherent mumbling whilst unconscious is distressing to an animal as it's throat is slit is debatable IMHO. It's many years since I went to a slaughterhouse (when at farming college) but from what I have read things have improved over the years, mainly due to tightening of regulations and more effective enforcement as the general public get ever more squeamish and anthropomorphic (and ridiculous too)

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived