House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

David Cameron To Promise 200,000 'starter Homes

David Cameron to promise 200,000 'starter homes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34460822

AreTheShiresCrashing@ShiresCrashing 3m

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34460822 "David Cameron to promise 200,000 'starter homes'" ...with prices supported by HTB/QE/0.5% IRs ? No thanks.

0 retweets0 favorites
Retweet

The price of the "starter homes" after the discount is applied will be capped at £250,000 and £450,000 in London.

Am I the only person who can't believe what they are witnessing ?

Need less people. How about stop letting 700,000+ people a year in, many from dirt poor former Soviet satellites who bring nothing to the UK other then the need for housing & wage arbitrage. Reverse the damage of mass immigration through a phased repatriation scheme. Been here less then 5 years? Sorry you will have to leave in an orderly fashion. If you still want to come to the UK reapply for a Visa if you have a skill we need. Bring a £5k deposit, refundable after 5 years or when you leave.

Edited by pl1

Funny that the Tories and Labour cheer-leaded HPI outstripping wages for 20 years, and have done all they can to prop-up house prices and continue to do so - and then they say there's a housing problem that needs fixing.

I've just had to turn the TV off.

Cameron, who seems to have dyed his hair today, is on about housing at the Tory conference.

"Help to this, help to that" and the party faithful are lapping it up :rolleyes:.

Can't be done. EU law ........ there is one way of course.

As an aside if you restrict benefits to ALL uk residents then some of these steps could be done. eg NO tax credits for any worker who has worked for less than 5 years and a contribution based unemployment benefits system (which we once had by the way). If you apply the system to everyone then it is not against EU law (see Germany and France who have contribution bases systems ...... hence the queues at Calais).

Correct and correct, there is only one answer and the time fast approaches.

Edited by pl1

It's a pretty uninspiring speech. A speech of exaggerations, delusion, pretence and disney style fantasy. Vague promises galore. Like all Conservative leaders speeches over the years yet look where the UK is now - stale fare. At the end he'll still get 10 minutes of applause from them of course.

Edited by billybong

If the starter homes are new builds and for the under 40s only, doesn't that mean that there will be less competition for older homes which are possibly more suited to the over 40s with families? Isn't this a way to increase supply without increasing demand because they are building new homes?

Gove blustering and denying the "lamentable" number of homes built under the Conservative/LibDem coalition. Daily Politics.

Edited by billybong

I'm less than 2 years away from turning 40 so by the time these houses are built I will no longer qualify for one of these new homes. Mind, I'd rather have a 1950s-70s built home anyway.

So if you are in your starter home as a lady of say 38 (with a massive mortgage) when do you get your family home to have kids in?

You buy an older property and don't get the 20% discount. Presumably none of the under 40s will be forced to buy a starter home?

Andrew Neil just ripped Michael Gove new arsehole on BBC TV, on the subject of Tory housing policy.

Neil finished with "I really enjoyed that, I hope you come back" :lol::lol::lol: .

Edited by Bruce Banner

Andrew Neil just ripped Michael Gove new arsehole on BBC TV, on the subject of Tory housing policy.

Neil finished with "I really enjoyed that, I hope you come back" :lol::lol::lol: .

He's great. I look forward to watching that later :D

Capped at 250k.

That's not a floor. It's a cap.

What's the problem?

It's a market subsidy. You don't subsidise something if you want it to go down in price.

Edited by zugzwang

old holborn has interesting post on this

https://twitter.com/Holbornlolz/status/651664007238127616

Refers to this

http://www.bauprojekt-allkauf.blogspot.de/

IMG_0929.JPG

Kit for 51,900 eur, they'll get their own guys to build the thing for 73.900 (£55,000)

http://www.fertighaus.de/haubis.htm?searchpreis=a75&hausnr=5853

(think thats the correct one, several similar designs...all around the same cost)

Although the establishment here think 60,000 is what you spend on a conservatory...

http://www.lbc.co.uk/incredibly-awkward-interview-with-natalie-bennett-105384

I'm not sure what bothered me more about that interview actually. Ferrari sneering at the Greens correct idea you can build a house for under a quarter of a million, or that moronic communist Natalie Bennett being so utterly awful she actually let him take the upper hand of the debate and failed to challenge the idea in peoples head that affordable housing is an impossibility.

I find it incredible Bennett is still the leader of the Green Party. I have never heard someone as dire at debating as her.

Edited by Executive Sadman

Another nail in the coffin lid of the free market in housing that tories claim to be supporters of

Is the lid sealed down forever? No, it isn't possible for the government to indefinitely over ride the market

But this policy: AIUI replacing 200k of houses that were being built for affordable renting purposes with the same number that will now be built for affordable purchase

Just goes to show how far they are prepared to go - further than many ever imagined

The whole idea is, of course, absolutely bonkers. But it looks like it is coming anyway.

Clearly the government wants more OOs and is going to throw the kitchen sink at trying to make that happen, short of allowing proper price discovery - which would surely be the only solution that worked