House Price Crash Forum

Munger Says Prepare For Harder World As Buying Power Slides

HOLA441

Seems strange really. The world seems to be getting more competitive so it's harder to make money. But surely more competitive should make things cheaper and everybody better off. If not what is the point?

Mr Marx had something to say about that didnt he.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I think if he concentrated on those born before the war being the gilded generation as far as aquisition of wealth goes, rather than bringing in living standards, then indeed he would have a point. Real estate, equities...they had the ability to get in right at the start of the Ponzi and become multi millionares with very little saving required. Of course, probably enduring lower living standards in the early years.

These are the guys that hit middle age just at the right time with a bombed out equity and real estate market in the mid 70s. Also enjoyed the fruits of early retirement and in the UK free NHS care.

HOLA444

I actually think it will become a harder world for the less educated as the manual jobs will start evaporating due to increased efficiencies and robotics. I genuinely do.

For the average educated its already much harder in the western world to prosper, for the less educated in the developing world it could be argued that working in hotels for a pittance is better than working in the fields.

HOLA445

I actually think it will become a harder world for the less educated as the manual jobs will start evaporating due to increased efficiencies and robotics. I genuinely do.

My experience is that it will become harder for the educated as many of those are now easily out sourced or 'automated'. 'Lean' and developing country technology transfer has already taken a big chunk of the jobs for the less educated. That now seems to be slowing a little with the push now on the 'white collar' workers. So much for the UK knowledge economy... As soon as a lower cost option is available companies will take it.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

No it is not all bad.....it means there is now more scope for opportunity and changes....doing things differently in a better fairer way.....no success without failure.

It was an ironic comment on the prediliction for depression amonst the perma-doomsters.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Mr-Wimpy-225x300.jpg

Seems strange really. The world seems to be getting more competitive so it's harder to make money. But surely more competitive should make things cheaper and everybody better off. If not what is the point?

I would say overall across the world people are becoming better off, problem is for people in the west, we are falling from a high point. People in India and China are rising from a low point, overall the trend is slightly up, but from the western point of view life is getting a lot harder.

HOLA4413

exactly. he knows what's coming. they have 2 choices, let the debt default ot monetise it. He knows its the latter. The former will kill the banking system and we cannot have that.

look,at some stage they KNOW the banking system will collapse...in fact,some of the communist manifesto actually advocated ENCOURAGING the gulf between the haves and have nots to become so wide it would provoke outright rebellion against the haves.

even the feudal overlord system collapses..as seen in revolutionary france, the soviet union,romania...with very unpleasant circumstances for those at the top.

of course the new system introduced will LOOK fair.....ie a quasi communist centrally planned global ledger system,with unfettered access to all resources for all,)

but is in fact a despotic tyranny in itself(think biblical mark of the beast type stuff, where everything is controlled globally by a comittee of 10 and a high councillor.)

needless to say if you look at how these sorts of systems have operated in the past,those who resist or do not comply will be set upon by death squads, just like in bolshevist russia,the spanish inquisition,the reductions in paraguay et al.

for all our sakes I hope uncle sam goes against it,and russia finally breaks free of the shackles of communism wanting payback on those who inflicted the prototype on them 100 years ago.

Edited by oracle

HOLA4414

And yet global living standards are probably better now than any time in human history.

50 years ago one person in the household needed to work and could pay off all major debt within a decade. Now at least two people per household need to work with almost no prospect of paying off major debts.

sure innovation (mainly silicone electronics) have revolutionized production and more and cheaper widgets are available, but the question is how much even better off and advanced would we be if not shackled by increasing debt? See Bastiat's broken window parable.

HOLA4415

So how does capitalism work if nobody has jobs and nobody has money?

at every economic level human input is required to take it to the next level of innovation. maybe requiring more and more people to be involved at each new level. there is no end to this and only humans can provide the innovation. Artificial intelligence is still at year zero.

HOLA4416

The thing is the world could be a great place with prosperity for all. The problem is that the 1%ers, billionaires don't want to share the money and they will do anything to keep the status quo. They are all greedy socio/psychopaths and they are destroying the living standards of everyone else so that they can retain their power and wealth.

A major problem is that there are so many useful idiots willing to help the psychopaths who want to own all the wealth. An example of this is the people who post on the Telegraph comments section after housing articles about how 'it's always been hard, just get your head down and get on with it' and then go and vote for one of the mainstream parties.

HOLA4417

Energy gigajoules available per person world wide has been declining for some time now. He is not talking about money.

The only reason energy output rose so high in the first place was because of investment in production...If our governments had the same statesmanlike outlook today as they did in the 50s and 60s, we'd have thorium plants going up all over the place.

We're being screwed over because the rent seekers have taken over. Producers drive down prices by driving up productivity. Rent seekers drive up prices so their investment and its scarcity is worth more. All so unavoidable.

Maybe the cold war was a good thing...both east and west trying to outperform each other led to fantastic gains.

Edited by Executive Sadman

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

So all the people with the money and the power have mucked everything up and now we're expected to pay for their mistakes?

A world with ever greater numbers of slaves, paying off their parent's debts.

No thanks.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I remember seeing guys working as a sandwich board man on the High Steet of Guildford in supposedly prosperous Surrey during the height of the early 1980s recession. I remember thinking it possibly being one of the most demeaning things I had ever seen. At least when begging you are normally working for yourself not physically labelled as some corporate slave.

I've seen a few poor youngsters wearing sandwich boards recently too.

There were about 4-5 guys and girls in their early 20s along barrack road in xchurch wearing a giant dominoes pizza box holding signs up with £6.99 pizza deal. They were all doing a weird dance and had forced smiles on. Poor sods.

HOLA4423

I've seen a few poor youngsters wearing sandwich boards recently too.

There were about 4-5 guys and girls in their early 20s along barrack road in xchurch wearing a giant dominoes pizza box holding signs up with £6.99 pizza deal. They were all doing a weird dance and had forced smiles on. Poor sods.

It appears it is a national tactic across pizza chains.

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2015/03/14/dominos-pizza-advertising-tactic-in-telford-under-review-after-being-banned-in-one-city/

http://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/letter_to_the_editor_dismay_at_people_using_sandwich_boards_in_ely_to_advertise_domino_s_pizza_1_2244542

"Not only is it dehumanising and humiliating for employees to be used like this as human adverts, it’s also simply incompatible with the flavour and style of Ely." (Don't make me vomit)

Shock horror, it may even bring down the value of OUR HOMES!!!! Think of the children!!!!

Edited by 200p