House Price Crash Forum

2015: Which Month Will The Collapse Come ?

HOLA441
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

I voted 2016, although I have concerns it will take even longer.

The Telegraph article about the postie really opened my eyes. The fact that people believe that by taking out 50% leverage interest only and buying property to rent out can feed themselves and three kids with basically "free money" appals me. No thought given to the fact that this scheme only "works" at to days ultra low interest rates (if it does at all), that the borrower is underwriting all of the debt, that managing a property 300 miles away is fraught with hassle and the risk of being ripped off, or that the trade will be very difficult to unwind if the market moves against you.

The supply of "greater fools" and lenders prepared to lend them cash seems infinite. Add to this the fact that any Gov't is going to fight like hell to avoid an interest rate rise and the resultant impact on house prices and I think it will be a bit more time yet before we see significant house price falls.

HOLA444

This time it's different. This time it will be slow and horrible (for those over-leveraged, trapped etc).

It was slow and horrible then the pre-election tories made it all "better" with their £50B printed money give away and 20% banker deposit guarantee.

It's not going to be slow and horrible it's going to be hard and fast due to that stupidity.

When london tanks, the UK housing market tanks....

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA445

I think that the gov't will throw more printed money at the market (HTB 3), direct repurchase of CMBS from banks etc. The last time round demonstrated to me that HPI is the only engine of GDP growth in this country (anyone else notice how confidence seemed to improve once house prices started moving?).

Don't get me wrong, I think it's nuts and merely defers the rebalancing that's needed in this country, but I don't see a politician with the vision and toughness to take us through the pain.

Edited by Exiled Canadian

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I don;t agree with a 'collapse' in a single 'month'.

Every thing does not suddenly end. Things tend to fall apart in pieces.

Not everything is connected. You can only look at one market at a time: some are connected; some are not.

I guess London will started showing some noticable negative falls by April.

I would guess the FED will start normalising rates to a low level - 3% - in May-ish.

I think the BoE will have to follow the next month, which, due to the leverage involved in London/Se (postie with 400k mortage + 400k of BTLers) will cause chaos as people find out that the 'government' may try and buck the trend but cannot turn the world's economies to suit UK housing.

I'm on Earth which one are you on?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Labour and SNP in power.

Markets shit their pants.

Cost of borrowing soars as per Iceland.

So about October by the time its worked through a bit?

Here's hoping.

Plus UKIP strongly in the mix, default in Greece or impasse with the negotiations, more countries (France, Italy, Spain) telling the EU to wind their neck in and voting to have less immigrants jumping borders without any checks or accountability, oh and Russia is going to start thrashing about like an angry bear....and HamPish`s hoose in Aberdeen will lose 50% of it`s "value".

Edited by dances with sheeple

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I'm on Earth which one are you on?

Earth.

I'm not saying they will set them to 3% instantly.

I'm guessing they start with very low increases - 0.1 every 2 months.

QE is seen more + more like a failure for the average American, and more + more like free money to the rich.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I see a similar hubris in predicting IRS will never rise to those claims of financial turmoil expected in 2004ish as the US government paid off all its government debt.

How knows - maybe China will get tired of making stuff and decided its easier and more profitable to loan money to west at userious rates.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Maybe longing for a house price crash is a bit like the quest for human-level artificial intelligence? Ask any AI expert when it's coming and they'll predict in about 20 years, but they were saying that back in the 50s. It keeps moving back as it fails to happen. Confess I'm feeling a little that way reading this and the Prime London Crashing thread, given it's February and a lot of posts anticipated something breaking by now, deeper and more widespread. No show.

It's an affliction, being an HPC outsider...

HOLA4425

Sorry I thought this thread was about 2015 and your May related to that.

Well, I don;t think we'll go to bed one night and wake up with everything crashed in the morning.

To be honest, in the towns I track, the crash has already happened - the number of transaction are about 20% of a normal market.

The prices are bound to follow. Its only low IR thats giving a zombie like feel to the whole exercise.

MMR was a good thing - for people taking out mortgages - as its stopped people getting into deals that will bankrupt them soon.

Everything so wierd,so leveraged, so taking too long - FFS the UK has been on its ar4se since 2007 - 7 fcking years!

And we've wasted that time - people still have too much debt.