House Price Crash Forum

Waterloo 1815

interestrateripoff

HOLA441
ROBERT HARDMAN: You don't have to be a historian to know 1815 is an almighty milestone

2407C43E00000578-0-image-a-32_1418603242 The removal of Napoleon helped to redraw the map of Europe and the world. So why is our educational establishment ignoring the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo? asks ROBERT HARDMAN

The First World War is being commemorated but the battle which quite possible set in motion a chain of events that led to the First World War is just ignored.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Waterloo is out of living memory and has been for quite a number of years. WW1 is also but for a much shorter time.

In 2114 I doubt the same 'attention' will be given to WW1.

Waterloo is an important day in the history of the European continent. We should do a few educational items on the TV to outline it and include bits of it in the schools curriculum but maybe not parade troops up and down through town centres or be laying wreaths in remembrance.

Besides we don't want to upset the French do we!!

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Always a bit puzzled that Wellington is seen as tiny in contrast to Nelson. Is this some class snobbery thing to do with the navy. No expert, but it seems to me that Wellington's efforts dwarfed Nelsons and he finished the job too.

Nelson was outnumbered in terms of French/Spanish ships but had a brilliant tactical brain in the way he fought the battle.

Wellington (and the allies) had significant troop numbers advantage over the French armies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Waterloo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Trafalgar

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Always a bit puzzled that Wellington is seen as tiny in contrast to Nelson. Is this some class snobbery thing to do with the navy. No expert, but it seems to me that Wellington's efforts dwarfed Nelsons and he finished the job too.

Trafalgar pretty much put an end to any attempt to invade Britain, so hardly an effort to be dwarfed. There was more class snobbery in the army at the time as far as I'm aware. It was growing in the navy but there wasn't any getting around the fact that sailing big sailing ships is very technically complex and needed to be mastered if you weren't going to come to grief even in peacetime, so a respect for someone good at that was always present whatever their background.

It sounds like Nelson was much more likable than Wellington so it may be as simple as that.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

This was a Spanish one I was thinking of. A sailor on the French side in 1805 - and a soldier on the British side in 1815. Spanish switched sides in between iirc.

(I think I have the above correct !!)

HOLA4414

There was one person (known) who fought on either side first at Trafalgar then at Waterloo.

I found it interesting anyway :)

I heard about him, too. There was a female doctor - well, Wikipedia says she was assigned female gender at birth and who posed as a man, James Miranda Stuart Barry, in order to read medicine at Edinburgh Uni, then enlisted in the Army as a surgeon. S/he might have served at Waterloo.

Funny what you learn from reading the BMJ!

Wikipedia link: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Barry_%28surgeon%29

HOLA4415

You mean physically tiny?

I don't know how it could be a "class snobbery thing" as Wellesley came from an aristocratic Anglo-Irish family while Nelson was a Clergyman's son. Bloody Guardian reader!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

The defeat of the Roman Legions by Arminius' Germanic tribesmen in 9AD actually had a much more important impact on the shape of Europe as we know it today.

+1

Or the victory of a small Norman/Brittany/Flemish expeditionary force against the battle hardened troups of Harold Godwinson in 1066.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Or if the Trojans had won!

True, true. Or if Charles Martel hadn't turned the Muslim tied at Poitiers in 732 we'd all be driving Toyota Hilux with anti aircraft guns mounted on the back and Mohammed would be the most popular boy's name in England.

HOLA4421

True, true. Or if Charles Martel hadn't turned the Muslim tied at Poitiers in 732 we'd all be driving Toyota Hilux with anti aircraft guns mounted on the back and Mohammed would be the most popular boy's name in England.

You mean it isn't already?

HOLA4422

I thought Mohammed was the most popular boy's name in England.

HOLA4423

Archived