House Price Crash Forum

Help To Buy Phase 3 - 100,000 First-Time Buyers To Get 20% Discount - Merged Topics

ingermany

HOLA441

To be announced by Cameron today. Homes at 20% below market value, built on Brownfield sites with government subsidies. Only for under 40s FTBs.

Quote from Eric Pickles: " the 2008 housing crash blocked millions of hard working creditworthy people from becoming home owners",

confirms that in government's mind falling prices make it more difficult to buy a house and therefore the more prices rise, the easier it is for people to buy a home. They don't apply the same logic to fuel prices of course. The statement does make sense of the government's deliberate strategy to pump up house prices. Link on Sky News.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

http://news.sky.com/story/1391931/david-cameron-to-launch-home-discount-scheme

Please sign up and buy. I liked HTB1 newbuild for it means this fewer buyers competing against us for secondary housing stock, in a hpc ahead. This looks similar. People buying such houses are not really going to pump up house prices, but at some point, make the wider market even weaker. Developers get to skip certain tariffs on these brownfield sites, but so what... that's what they're really heralding as a saving lol.

Eric Pickles is a right pusher for these schemes. Credit worth hard working people, not able to afford locked-in protected HPI house prices, then reflated with QE/HTB sentiment.

http://www.bedfordshire-news.co.uk/Communities-Secretary-Eric-Pickles-visits-Silsoe/story-24842319-detail/story.html

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Would be better if the government paid for the houses to be built and then rented the majority of them out as social housing. Would reduce the housing benefit bill and also provide a steady income from the investment. It wouldn't matter if the government borrowed billions to build the houses too and they would borrow at very low interest rates.

HOLA449

I wondered why certain forum posters were attacking me last night for having the temerity to suggest that the problem is one of loose credit rather than lack of supply, now I know.

The problem is the combination of the two - loose credit can only bid up prices if supply is constrained. If it were not the case then loose credit would be also be bidding up the prices of phones TVs and cars. Ireland is a good example of how no amount of credit can keep prices up if supply catches up with demand.

Edited by goldbug9999

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The problem is the combination of the two - loose credit can only bid up prices if supply is constrained. If it were not the case then loose credit would be also be bidding up the prices of phones TVs and cars. Ireland is a good example of how no amount of credit can keep prices up if supply catches up with demand.

Loose credit IS boosting the prices of phones and cars.

It disguises the actual price for the end users...it enables sellers to sell to people who couldnt pay the asking prices for the goods, it therefore allows the market to determine the price as per the monthly contract.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Won't this take further first time buyers out of the "general pool" and also put downward pressure on rents if it is successful?

It is effectively creating an injection of new supply at 20% off market value in the FTB market.

Maybe I'm not thinking straight, but doesn't this hurt the 2nd hand home market?

Those are my thoughts

And of course, every new home becomes a secondhand home

I wouldn't enter the housing market right now

HOLA4423

I think Exiled Canadian might well be right.

I suppose it all depends on how many actually get built, but i see this as deflationary.
Let's say you are a first time buyer. The government is going to build 100 homes in your town.

Do you:

a) Buy one of these homes for £180k, at a 20% "discount"

B) Buy an older home, for £240k, which is actually 25% more

If (a), then other sellers will need to reduce their prices to compete with that strategy.

The only fly in the ointment in this thinking, though, is that house prices are not fixed, so a builder could whack a price on the market at a 25% premium, discount it by 20%, and nobody would be any the wiser, since new build always seems to cost stupid amounts more than older stock, despite generally needing more fixing!

HOLA4424

I think Exiled Canadian might well be right.

I suppose it all depends on how many actually get built, but i see this as deflationary.

Let's say you are a first time buyer. The government is going to build 100 homes in your town.

Do you:

a) Buy one of these homes for £180k, at a 20% "discount"

B) Buy an older home, for £240k, which is actually 25% more

If (a), then other sellers will need to reduce their prices to compete with that strategy.

The only fly in the ointment in this thinking, though, is that house prices are not fixed, so a builder could whack a price on the market at a 25% premium, discount it by 20%, and nobody would be any the wiser, since new build always seems to cost stupid amounts more than older stock, despite generally needing more fixing!

I got my numbers slightly wrong there, but you get my drift. Top figure should have read £192k.

HOLA4425

Won't this take further first time buyers out of the "general pool" and also put downward pressure on rents if it is successful?

It is effectively creating an injection of new supply at 20% off market value in the FTB market.

Maybe I'm not thinking straight, but doesn't this hurt the 2nd hand home market?

No offense to specific tenants like myself but what you suggest will also distill rental tenants down to the dregs, leading to even more hmo daddy type operators in an accommodation race to the bottom.