House Price Crash Forum

Gp's Get Bonuses For Diagnosing Things

ccc

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Next they'll get paid for doing the job.

They don't, I have seen this with older relatives...quite obvious that there is a problem, the person is showing frailty for no reason or overly slowing down...sure enough dementia has followed. Meanwhile the GPs have just shown no interest in the obvious.

Older people can spot this....I once heard a group of old ladies saying so and so was slowing down and they were heading for dementia. What's obvious to lay people not obvious to GPs just out of short trousers.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Is it statins they get a bonus for getting people on?

Certainly the main reason life is extending six months for every year that goes by...heart attacks falling off a cliff and cancer becoming the new killer as we all live a decade longer. My dad can eat any old crap these days (basically biscuits and cake) and gets a cholesterol reading of 4 instead of 8.

HOLA447

Certainly the main reason life is extending six months for every year that goes by...heart attacks falling off a cliff and cancer becoming the new killer as we all live a decade longer. My dad can eat any old crap these days (basically biscuits and cake) and gets a cholesterol reading of 4 instead of 8.

Just google "statins mental fog".

HOLA448
HOLA449

Anyone would think diagnosis of dementia is a magic bullet. All too often all it does is slap an official label on what you already have a good idea of. There is no cure and meds are not always appropriate and don't always work, or may even make some symptoms worse. At best they can slow it down.

Far more to the point with dementia would be better (or any) training for medics and social workers, so many of whom are utterly clueless about the practical realities. One of most frequent despairing complaints I see all the time on a forum for carers, is the utter uselessness and lack of knowledge of so many professionals who are supposed to be helping.

HOLA4410

Anyone would think diagnosis of dementia is a magic bullet. All too often all it does is slap an official label on what you already have a good idea of. There is no cure and meds are not always appropriate and don't always work, or may even make some symptoms worse. At best they can slow it down.

Far more to the point with dementia would be better (or any) training for medics and social workers, so many of whom are utterly clueless about the practical realities. One of most frequent despairing complaints I see all the time on a forum for carers, is the utter uselessness and lack of knowledge of so many professionals who are supposed to be helping.

Prevention for those in middle aged might be also a good place to start. I know you have previously stated that one of your relatives (might have been your mother) didn't do anything wrong and got the disease anyway. There will be always some that are destined to get a disease come what may, but it certainly doesn't mean we should assume that there are no preventitive answers. Just doing more exercise and eating healthily are shown to help, but obviously not in every case.

HOLA4411

The current "go to" media GP Sarah Jarvis was on Sky News talking about this today.

She said GP's were so overworked, 2/3 were thinking of retiring early, clearly missing the fact they are ABLE to retire early through daft remuneration schemes like this

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Decades of not diagnosing people with dementia have left many thousands with out some of the support that they should have. Pushing for more diagnosis, awareness and recognition in this area is long overdue. Though why GP's should get bonuses for doing what they are already paid to do is beyond me. Surely any extra cash should go towards services.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/dementia-diagnosis-to-be-overhauled

Completely off topic but the highest personal credit card debt I ever came across was held by two GP's, high to the extent that their monthly income barely covered the interest due. Extreme cluelessness.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Decades of not diagnosing people with dementia have left many thousands with out some of the support that they should have. Pushing for more diagnosis, awareness and recognition in this area is long overdue. Though why GP's should get bonuses for doing what they are already paid to do is beyond me. Surely any extra cash should go towards services.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/dementia-diagnosis-to-be-overhauled

Completely off topic but the highest personal credit card debt I ever came across was held by two GP's, high to the extent that their monthly income barely covered the interest due. Extreme cluelessness.

Plenty of people who HAVE been diagnosed struggle to get any/enough support, or rather more usually their carers struggle on their behalf. One of the biggest problems is often that people do not accept that they have dementia, or truly believe there is nothing wrong with them. And then you have the aforementioned useless GPs and social workers who are clueless enough to believe Mrs X when she says she needs no help, she still does all her own shopping/cooking/washing/ cleaning, when in reality she may have not done any of these for months. My own mother still thought there was nothing wrong with her when she could no longer even make a cup of tea and her short term memory was non existent. She could never remember that she could not remember anything, and this is a simple fact of dementia that so often eludes the professionals.

HOLA4417

Is it statins they get a bonus for getting people on?

Yes. And BP testing. And flu jabs. And various blood tests. When the NHS started, Nye Bevan had to "stuff the doctors' mouths with gold" to get them to agree to give up their private practices and join the NHS, which obviously wouldn't have worked without doctors. The same happened in 1979 when they changed consultants' contracts, again in the 2000's when contracts changed again. So paying GP's extra to work when they get to work is simply traditional. :unsure:

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Apparently going to be given £55 for every dementia diagnosis.

The shocking thing to me from this article is this apparently already happens with a number of other 'ailments' ?!

What's new....they already get paid for all kinds of piece work and procedures.....Thousands of cases of dementia go undiagnosed in this country, many people and their families are living in a state of denial until symptoms get quite severe....doctors are not referring enough people to the memory clinic for a second opinion......once correctly diagnosed and in the system more funding will be required, but early diagnosis can be better for all concerned rather than ignoring it before it becomes too late and more costly...... doesn't seem quite right that doctors/the practice are now having to be paid to do something they should be doing anyway.....how did we reach this point, madness. ;)

HOLA4420

The current "go to" media GP Sarah Jarvis was on Sky News talking about this today.

She said GP's were so overworked, 2/3 were thinking of retiring early, clearly missing the fact they are ABLE to retire early through daft remuneration schemes like this

I liked the one on the radio a few weeks ago who sounded disgusted that he had to pay tax AND towards his own pension out of his salary.

HOLA4421

I am quite sure there have been some behind the scenes pressures to NOT diagnose dementia up until now from care commissioners.

Diagnosis = increased costs. Costs = bad. Ergo let's just see how people get on for now...

Of course that means lots of the cost burden has been going into other unlabelled budget items like a&e & emergency care...

These things come from politicians. Someone, somewhere in government has finally realised that dementia might be a problem, due to the huge care costs associated with it. It may require very expensive supervision, while physically the person isn't necessarily in bad health, so survival can be quite long.

Rightly or wrongly, it has been rather traditional in the UK for doctors to be trained in a rather pragmatic way - if you make a diagnosis of dementia, what difference does it make? You can't prevent (most) dementia. You can't (until recently) treat it. You can't stop it progressing and you certainly can't cure it. If someone is failing to cope at home, then they need assistance from relatives, social workers, assistants, carers, etc. So, you've made a diagnosis, but you haven't actually achieved anything meaningful. As a result, there has been relatively little interest from front-line physicians and GPs, and poor diagnosis rates. Things have changed a bit with some of the new symptom reliving drugs, but they are expensive and only have limited benefits.

As the government has now realised there is a problem, they've realised that they don't even know the scale of the problem as they don't have reliable statistics. It's also politically a big issue, the population is getting older, and hundreds of thousands of registered voters (who tend to vote) are now potentially facing seeing their loved ones develop dementia and are going to want the government to be seen to be doing everything possible.

I'm not sure I agree with the "bounty per head" approach. However, governments in the UK have traditionally had a habit of proposing bad ideas, but paying people off to push the changes through.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

So what would happen if we got rid of all GPs?

An online q and a application would probably cover 95% of gp visits.

At present anything to do with sports injuries and the like - is already better 'treated' by doing a bit of googling.

HOLA4424

An online q and a application would probably cover 95% of gp visits.

At present anything to do with sports injuries and the like - is already better 'treated' by doing a bit of googling.

A machine that dispensed antibiotics or painkillers would probably be useful.

HOLA4425

Archived