House Price Crash Forum

You And Yours: Are You Worse Off Than Your Parents? Today 12:15

HOLA441

Winifred Foley died on 21 March 2009, some three days before her original book was re-released under the new title Full Hearts And Empty Bellies, having reportedly sold over 500,000 copies by that time.[8] The Humanist funeral was held at Cheltenham Crematorium. One of the pieces of music chosen was a recording of I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles sung by the children of Pillowell County Primary School,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winifred_Foley

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Money does not buy your health, money does not buy your friends and family, money does not buy fresh air, money does not buy love and peace of mind. ;)

It certainly increases the odds of most of those. You can enjoy better food, living conditions and health care with money - which all make a difference to your likely state of health.

Ditto fresh air - money means you don't have to live in the grotty end of town next to major roads or other sources of pollution.

A certain minimum level of money will also buy you a degree of piece of mind too. Have tried both poverty and being comfortably off; I'd rather be comfortably off than worrying how I'm going to scrape together enough coppers to buy a loaf of bread.

I will give you friends, family and love though.

HOLA444

Parents mid range boomers (1956)

Me late gen x (1979)

Parents bought modest family home in basis of fathers job (skilled technical industrial) in 70's. Industry decimated in 80s father in and out of low skilled work in attempt to make ends meet mother returns to work full time (skilled technical healthcare).

I admire my fathers work ethic (we never lived off the state as far as I know) but once he found himself a safe public sector job ( low skill public sector) he settled and never tried to climb back up. Spent rest of career blaming thatcher as if that was going to help at all.

My childhood was modest with periods of being poor (I once received a lampshade for my birthday) but not poverty (though maybe by today's relative poverty standards it was). Money always tight.

Having lived through all that when mother was promoted (junior managerial) and labour splurged on health salaries my parents suddenly decided they were middle class and ATM'd most of the equity out of the house, splurged on credit and lived well beyond means.

I took a couple of years before going to uni (working not finding myself) . Arrived in London in 2003 on a modest salary with HPI carrying the chance of buying further beyond my reach every day. Spent 6 years in London lining the pockets of BTL scum before managing to scrape a deposit together to buy in 2010.

I find it hard to judge who has/had it easier.

I'll take home about 70kish this year (I'm fairly sure more than my parents combined income at the zenith of their careers) and my wife is a stay at home mum. But by god I've worked hard for it, swapped jobs, taught myself everything, taken risks, worked crazy hours, pushed constantly to raise my income. And due mostly to housing costs my standard of living is not much higher than my parents (first holiday abroad in 4 years thus year) and their house is considerably bigger.

My parents on the other hand despite periods of hardship really seemed to coast through. Public sector cushy pensions and early retirement now. They never really had to push themselves and they are set til the end of their days something I know I won't get.

It's complicated.

In generational terms boomers had life on easy mode. But it's still possible to screw that up.

HOLA445

Parents mid range boomers (1956)

Me late gen x (1979)

Parents bought modest family home in basis of fathers job (skilled technical industrial) in 70's. Industry decimated in 80s father in and out of low skilled work in attempt to make ends meet mother returns to work full time (skilled technical healthcare).

I admire my fathers work ethic (we never lived off the state as far as I know) but once he found himself a safe public sector job ( low skill public sector) he settled and never tried to climb back up. Spent rest of career blaming thatcher as if that was going to help at all.

My childhood was modest with periods of being poor (I once received a lampshade for my birthday) but not poverty (though maybe by today's relative poverty standards it was). Money always tight.

Having lived through all that when mother was promoted (junior managerial) and labour splurged on health salaries my parents suddenly decided they were middle class and ATM'd most of the equity out of the house, splurged on credit and lived well beyond means.

I took a couple of years before going to uni (working not finding myself) . Arrived in London in 2003 on a modest salary with HPI carrying the chance of buying further beyond my reach every day. Spent 6 years in London lining the pockets of BTL scum before managing to scrape a deposit together to buy in 2010.

I find it hard to judge who has/had it easier.

I'll take home about 70kish this year (I'm fairly sure more than my parents combined income at the zenith of their careers) and my wife is a stay at home mum. But by god I've worked hard for it, swapped jobs, taught myself everything, taken risks, worked crazy hours, pushed constantly to raise my income. And due mostly to housing costs my standard of living is not much higher than my parents (first holiday abroad in 4 years thus year) and their house is considerably bigger.

My parents on the other hand despite periods of hardship really seemed to coast through. Public sector cushy pensions and early retirement now. They never really had to push themselves and they are set til the end of their days something I know I won't get.

It's complicated.

In generational terms boomers had life on easy mode. But it's still possible to screw that up.

In partial fairness to boomers, there were plenty from later generations who also took part in the Gordon Brown public sector salaries for votes scheme ®

Rather galling, but one of the major components of the high deficit that the current govt are struggling to reduce are public sector pensions. They'll be corrected over time with CPI inflation adjustment, but it's a disgrace nonetheless.

Edited by Si1

HOLA446

It certainly increases the odds of most of those. You can enjoy better food, living conditions and health care with money - which all make a difference to your likely state of health.

Ditto fresh air - money means you don't have to live in the grotty end of town next to major roads or other sources of pollution.

A certain minimum level of money will also buy you a degree of piece of mind too. Have tried both poverty and being comfortably off; I'd rather be comfortably off than worrying how I'm going to scrape together enough coppers to buy a loaf of bread.

I will give you friends, family and love though.

Everyone requires a certain amount that will cover living expenses... That amount depends where you live on this world....in this part of the world more will be required, but we are more fortunate than many places where we have the security of the NHS for now, but no amount of health care can guarantee your health.

Once the basics have been provided for....extras do not always bring a greater quality of life,it all depends what your expectations are and where you feel comfortable sitting relative to your peers or the people living around you.....who has the better life, someone tied to a desk that ties up their time but lives in a fancy house in a fancy place or another with far less but their time is their own to use as they want to use?.....

So yes, would agree a certain degree of money Is required by us all....after that it is how we think.

HOLA447

In partial fairness to boomers, there were plenty from later generations who also took part in the Gordon Brown public sector salaries for votes scheme ®

Rather galling, but one of the major components of the high deficit that the current govt are struggling to reduce are public sector pensions. They'll be corrected over time with CPI inflation adjustment, but it's a disgrace nonetheless.

I think they'll be corrected by an outright default as in Detroit.

I had someone telling how good GB had been for Public Sector works (teacher).

I pointed out that is true in the short term.

Long term, GB has pretty much guaranteed low future wages increases, large scale layoffs and a default on the pension.

Nothing's for free esp. a GB promise//fiddling.

HOLA448

I think they'll be corrected by an outright default as in Detroit.

I had someone telling how good GB had been for Public Sector works (teacher).

I pointed out that is true in the short term.

Long term, GB has pretty much guaranteed low future wages increases, large scale layoffs and a default on the pension.

Nothing's for free esp. a GB promise//fiddling.

He was good for public sector workers but not for the public sector itself, ie it's service provision

HOLA449

I don't want to shoot you down. I read your post just after you posted it,but then I remembered it when thinking about my Gran.

My Gran was the youngest of 11 children born 1902 (I think) very poor family when she was 13 she went to work in service. For those that don't know this meant she worked in a rich house hold cleaning ect. She was born in the forest of dean. Some one that had a similar life to my gran wrote a book "A child of the forest by Winifred foley" Employing some one to look after your kids just makes me think that things are going around again.

Love the dialect..Cheryl Campbell as Forest of Dean wench (1935) about the right age for your Gran...guess she had the compensation of growing up in a nice area.

HOLA4410

Madness. One of my great uncles got demobbed in 1946. Rejoined the postal service as a postie and became a supervisor around 1950 and was able to buy a reasonable 3 bed semi (his widow still lives in it today) in Eltham on a single wage with wife and child to support.

Not too dissimilar to this

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32572272.html

The scary thing is that Eltham prices have not gone up as much as other parts of London. If he had lived in Islington then that house would be £1 million or something.

Edited by iamnumerate

HOLA4411

The scary thing is that Eltham prices have not gone up as much as other parts of London. If he had lived in Islington then that house would be £1 million or something.

What is so good about Islington that it is worth £1m please enlighten me.....anyone who could secure £1m would I have had thought be out like a shot.....grab the money and run fast....life is too short. ;)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

What is so good about Islington that it is worth £1m please enlighten me.....anyone who could secure £1m would I have had thought be out like a shot.....grab the money and run fast....life is too short. ;)

I really don't know myself. It is bit like people who commute from Woking, why not move to Orpington have a bigger house with a much nicer and cheaper commute.

HOLA4414

I really don't know myself. It is bit like people who commute from Woking, why not move to Orpington have a bigger house with a much nicer and cheaper commute.

Or why commute at all......should have plenty spare to start your own business anywhere...anyway people do have good jobs to go to in other places apart from London...London is pricing people especially families out of working in London......I am sure there are plenty who would jump at the chance of moving out if only they could, or if they could were brave enough to do so. ;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

There is much irony that this is on the pus ridden BBC. I have an acquaintance who admitted that the BBC was staffed with people who where there because of who their parents are/were. Their speciality is spending others money. I look forward to their demise.

You really think that doesn't happen everywhere sport?

In local government and private companies as well.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Someone emailed in to Radio 4's Saturday morning programme the week before last to suggest that the reason that young people did not contribute to gardening/DIY programmes was because they couldn't afford a house. The presenter sounded distinctly uncomfortable as she read that one out.

Did you hear the delicate sound of a penny dropping?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I had to LOL when an old hag came on from the "Land of Let them eat Cake" and was gushing about how marvellously her two 30ish offspring were doing and how tiresome it is that "these discussions 'Come up from time to time with no basis to them".

Three times the presenter forceably asked what these lucky two do for a living and the hag refused to answer. Just about sums this country up - The have nots and the scamsters and leachers.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Someone emailed in to Radio 4's Saturday morning programme the week before last to suggest that the reason that young people did not contribute to gardening/DIY programmes was because they couldn't afford a house. The presenter sounded distinctly uncomfortable as she read that one out.

Not just the young. I have a friend who is 42 and just missed the boat in the 90s and unless there is a house price crash will never afford a house.

HOLA4425

Not just the young. I have a friend who is 42 and just missed the boat in the 90s and unless there is a house price crash will never afford a house.

Thousands more than ever before will never again afford to buy a home......that is how the system has been fixed to work.....owning a home could be made to be very disadvantageous and not owning but renting advantageous....but the collection of assets such as housing/land for investment purposes has become popular because cheap and easy money has pushed newly created money in that direction, few other places to park it.....and banks/lenders will not lend to rent without a AST agreement.....meaning renters will have fewer rights, higher rents, and less freedom as it stands than owners.......it doesn't have to be that way............what it needs is greater, fairer and more flexible choices for all.........or else buying for some will become just like renting with all the responsibility and risk......renting from the lender, only cuts out the middle men. ;)