House Price Crash Forum

Young Adults 'bearing Brunt Of Recession', Says Leading Thinktank

kjw

HOLA441

You too could earn £2.35 an hour. Actually you probably couldn't as you'd need to speak Ukranian to converse with your fellow workers.

Bearing brunt of recession or having been intentionally dumped on? Based on work and housing, the latter, definitely.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28306798

Protest in Portsmouth over overseas workers' ferry wages
_76271302_condor_vitesse2.jpgCondor said about 90% of its crew were recruited within the European Union

A protest has been held outside a Portsmouth ferry port over the amount a firm pays some overseas crew members.

The RMT union says Condor Ferries pays Ukrainian staff £2.35 an hour for working on ferries between the UK and the Channel Islands and France.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

The Irony.

For the record, The Xbox would be in the bin and I would be out on the Town.... drinking, smoking, taking drugs and shagging.

LOL +1 to that

most of the young folk I know have taken the xbox basement route and given up. Meanwhile the pensioners I know lecture them about being lazy whilst taking everything they can off the gov and blaming immigrants.

I really dont blame young folk at all if they p!ssed off abroad or spent there life in a geordie shore style.

HOLA443
HOLA444

I was expressing concerns to colleagues today about science Mres courses, of which there has been a large increase in the number of both courses and students. Increasing lack of graduate employment prospects and competition has stimulated the quest/provision for ever higher qualifications and intermediary steps.

It's been a creeping advance.

In the sciences, the students are conducting research projects and paying for the privilege of doing so through the fees they are charged. And an Mres is a non-trivial addition to student debt.

Students are encouraged to publish their Mres results as it's good for their CV and, of course, the paper wiill bear the supervisor's name on the author list ;)

Often, the Mres project may be the only research the supervisor (scientist) may conduct, since a 'free' Mres student does not need a successful grant application, and research funding is hard to come by.

So, the scientist's career is advancing through someone paying for their privilege, while the student is getting themselves into greater debt.

A 'twist' or 'step up' upon a volunteering, free intern, if you will. The interns are now paying for the 'opportunity'.

Personally, I can't sign up to that - more fool me as I appear to publish less (although personally, I go for higher impact papers than a short Mres project might attain).

I feel that so many systems are broken in the economy.

(The Mres fees also include provision to cover research costs. Although some lucky students will join projects where they access infrastructure and consummables beyond their wildest dreams.)

[edited for rough first draft punctuation, and again for spelling, and again for clarity (?)]

Edited by LiveinHope

HOLA445

You too could earn £2.35 an hour. Actually you probably couldn't as you'd need to speak Ukranian to converse with your fellow workers.

Bearing brunt of recession or having been intentionally dumped on? Based on work and housing, the latter, definitely.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28306798

Protest in Portsmouth over overseas workers' ferry wages
_76271302_condor_vitesse2.jpgCondor said about 90% of its crew were recruited within the European Union

A protest has been held outside a Portsmouth ferry port over the amount a firm pays some overseas crew members.

The RMT union says Condor Ferries pays Ukrainian staff £2.35 an hour for working on ferries between the UK and the Channel Islands and France.

What a failure the EU freedom to work has been for us, How did they not foresee the problems it would cause, here we have a company who pay £2-35 a hour and they state this is 4 times the pay they would get at home, i work in industry which employs many EU workers and are they are happy with Minimum wage+ tax credit + family allowance etc when most have no skills what ever. they also claim they are getting 5 x plus their homeland wage who can blame them,What i want to know is which EU country can are young jobless go to in the EU and get 4x the pay of that country.

HOLA446

What i want to know is which EU country can our young jobless go to in the EU and get 4x the pay of that country.

None, but carry on working in the UK for a few years, learn to speak Ukrainian, save up a load of cash, and buy a house over there.

HOLA447
HOLA448

I was at meeting today, a presentation on how millions (£100m+) of Lottery money is to be spent on connecting with the youth unemployed (NEETs), those beyond hope, to given them hope... to find their inner talent through mentoring. No mention of actual jobs for them, just another scheme where those doing the scheme benefit financially while the young are told to 'believe in themselves' and everything will be OK. A sort of soft love.

I was listening to it with some cynicism, and heartfelt sorry for those kids who are fodder. Kids are in education or training until 18 now - still it seems not able to function in society/the workplace; and are 'children' until they are 24 (firmly believe University has now become an extension of school, to be paid for over a lifetime).

As was said earlier, these kids are conditioned, taught how and what to think and if they don't make the grade are made to feel pretty worthless and lost. It is desperately sad.

Edited by tinker

HOLA449

I was at meeting today, a presentation on how millions (£100m+) of Lottery money is to be spent on connecting with the youth unemployed (NEETs), those beyond hope, to given them hope... to find their inner talent through mentoring. No mention of actual jobs for them, just another scheme where those doing the scheme benefit financially while the young are told to 'believe in themselves' and everything will be OK. A sort of soft love.

I was listening to it with some cynicism, and heartfelt sorry for those kids who are fodder. Kids are in education or training until 18 now - still it seems not able to function in society/the workplace. Are children until they are 24 (firmly believe University has now become an extension of school, to be paid for over a lifetime).

As was said early these kids are conditioned, taught how and what to think and if they don't make the grade are made to feel pretty worthless and lost. It is desperately sad.

It is desperately sad, many are being sold false hopes.

I can't make out whether it's through naive good intentions or just deliberate deception.

Edited by LiveinHope

HOLA4410

I can't make out whether it's through naive good intentions or just deliberate deception.

It is just people trying to "do something". At some point in a young persons life they may realise that only they themselves can change their own situation, there are Universal principles that govern this that are beyond politics, the money system, even beyond the HPC website. A starting point is taking responsibility, and accepting that you have a hand in everything that happens to you. (Woo Woo!)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

What! Are you saying that they're not going to get on Big Brother, win the X-Factor or become/marry a premiership footballer????

Surely as long as you believe in yourself you can achieve anything, right? Just keep your nose clean, listen to the experts/your 'mentor' and something good is sure to happen!

.... You do have to wonder how long the youth are going to keep believing all the crap that they are fed. They're pretty much programmed from the first days of school to not question authority or think for themselves.

HOLA4414

What! Are you saying that they're not going to get on Big Brother, win the X-Factor or become/marry a premiership footballer????

Surely as long as you believe in yourself you can achieve anything, right? Just keep your nose clean, listen to the experts/your 'mentor' and something good is sure to happen!

.... You do have to wonder how long the youth are going to keep believing all the crap that they are fed. They're pretty much programmed from the first days of school to not question authority or think for themselves.

A lot of them are drugged too. Anti depressents and such, drugging really young kids. Its especially bad in the states but its here too.

HOLA4415

I'm a firm believer that if you believe in yourself you can achieve anything - provided you are not barking up the wrong tree.

Unfortunately, too many of the experts/mentors that you might look to as role models are shallow spivs, charlatans and frauds with nothing to offer other that to feed from you. So you also need skill to avoid those. It was probably ever thus, except the former are now greater in number. See my post on Mres.

Edited by LiveinHope

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Institute for Fiscal Studies finds people in age group have found jobs hard to find

"Pay, employment and incomes have all been hit hardest for those in their 20s. A crucial question is whether this difficult start will do lasting damage to their employment and earnings prospects...

A quarter forced to live at home with heir parents also had higher than average disposable incomes, though the need for parental subsidies is likely an indication of the low pay rates and often insecure working practices on offer to younger workers."

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jul/15/young-adults-bearing-brunt-of-recession

has done....not will do.

HOLA4419

Most old farts don`t understand the game, that is a large part of the problem.

I think it is the younger generation that is being gamed tbh and screwed over, I think the older generation have set the rules of the game and weighted the dice. Something has gone badly wrong if retirement means a higher income than working, where's the quid pro quo.

Look the fact that in retirement you are most likely to be mortgage free or have preferential access to rent free social housing (because those that set the rules have deemed the old you are more equal) should be reward enough, a higher income is just taking the piss. And I speak as a mortgage free boomer.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4420

I'm a firm believer that if you believe in yourself you can achieve anything - provided you are not barking up the wrong tree.

Unfortunately, too many of the experts/mentors that you might look to as role models are shallow spivs, charlatans and frauds with nothing to offer other that to feed from you. So you also need skill to avoid those. It was probably ever thus, except the former are now greater in number. See my post on Mres.

It's not so much 'achieve anything' as 'achieve something'.

HOLA4421

I think it is the younger generation that is being gamed tbh and screwed over, I think the older generation have set the rules of the game and weighted the dice. Something has gone badly wrong if retirement means a higher income than working, where's the quid pro quo.

Look the fact that in retirement you are most likely to be mortgage free or have preferential access to rent free social housing (because those that set the rules have deemed the old you are more equal) should be reward enough, a higher income is just taking the piss. And I speak as a mortgage free boomer.

One way to rectify this may be to get younger people to vote in greater numbers.

Admittedly, politicians are all crooks, but the boomers/elderly do go out and vote and their support in an election is critical.

HOLA4422

Around me I see people collecting final salary pensions that would be greater than the wages of new entrants if there was money to employ them.

Yet these people on their pensions do not retire. They collect both the pension and now also a wage. They can't 'afford' to retire, apparently. In the NHS I'd call them bed-blockers.

All the while youngsters work for free in their organisations in the hope of a salaried job one day.

I am surrounded by a lot of talented and enthusiastic youngsters who are wasting, often doing 'non-jobs' for free, often taking the slack of people who are paid to work.

I also see a lot of youngsters who are bone idle. But they just don't have a role model, or have given up, perhaps ?

I appreciate all the above are huge generalisations, but I don't remember it always being like this - or was it ?

I also try very hard to change it. But it's bl00dy hard work. The boomer generation has a self-serving, strangle hold.

(I class myself as a boomer, but according to Wikipedia I am just outside)

Edited by LiveinHope

HOLA4423

There was a concerted effort by many of "the young" to vote for the lib dems in the last election, as they were going to support/fight for key issues that were important to that particular demographic. Look what happened next. Stabbed in the back. While the selfish boomers/old duffers are the majority demographic, it is them that will be pandered to, and everyone else can pay for it.

Edited by btl_hater

HOLA4424

One way to rectify this may be to get younger people to vote in greater numbers.

Admittedly, politicians are all crooks, but the boomers/elderly do go out and vote and their support in an election is critical.

They don't need to actually vote for any of the established bunch of con artists - if they just register and then turn up and spoil their vote that's going to start sending out a message to the established parties that their game is almost up.

Politicians like to bemoan voter apathy but actually they love it - it helps the established parties with a huge on the ground 'machine' to easily maintain the status quo. Non-voters are counted as acquiescing to whatever the result of the poll is. Large amounts of spoiled votes on the other hand would indicate just how dissatisfied the electorate is with the turds running for power.

HOLA4425

There was a concerted effort by many of "the young" to vote for the lib dems in the last election, as they were going to support/fight for key issues that were important to that particular demographic. Look what happened next. Stabbed in the back. While the selfish boomers/old duffers are the majority demographic, it is them that will be pandered to, and everyone else can pay for it.

You are right about the Clegg Betrayal, but sourmash has a point - turn out in large numbers and spoil ballot papers, or vote Monster raving looney.