House Price Crash Forum

For The Love Of Floorplans

HOLA441
I've no idea where this thread should go. I'm filing it under 'Another reason why I'm not paying your delusional asking price.'

How do homes end up like this? How many bathrooms does a two bed flat or a three bed semi need? What possessed someone to extend there? Do architects get certified from Lego HQ?

Let the despair commence.

vebr51.png

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Prepare for more extensions....

Estate agents listing properties for rent or sale should be forced to list its floor space according to academics, as data reveals more than half of houses in England are failing to meet modern standards on size. According to Cambridge University research, 55% of modern homes do not have a big enough floor area while one in five is short of space when taking into account the number of occupants. The report found that newly built homes in England are the smallest in a league table of floor space of 15 European countries with an average floor space of 76 square metres, compared to 137 in Denmark

HOLA448

Prepare for more extensions....

Older cottages tend to be smaller than modern shoeboxes, but a whole lot nicer to live in if well-modernised.

Size standards like Parker-Morris are aspirational. We have more house-per-person than ever in history, but still a long, long way from everyone having enough space by modern standards. Denmark has the advantage of a much smaller population!

Place I lived briefly in 1986 (between spells out of the country) was a 2-up, 2-down, maybe around 50 sq m. That was as a lodger in a landlord's house, but next door was a big asian family. I never figured out for sure how many children must've been sharing one tiny room there! And that wasn't even London, it was Bristol (just near Stapleton Road station, for those who know it).

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Indeed, who on Earth would (choose to) sleep in a windowless room?

That place is a shell, to knock down and start again with the available space. I wonder if the price reflects it?

me.

I like sleeping, but im a light sleeper. A bedroom with zero light penetration would be most welcome. also if the house is in a city it eould mean less outside noise entering the room.

HOLA4412

The same person that enjoys cooking in a windowless kitchen.

:P

I think I could just about cope with that. One doesn't spend such long times in the kitchen, and when in there one is active, doing something, coming and going. Keep an air flow with the aid of the doors and windows or doors to other rooms.

Not that I'd choose any such thing! And a kitchen without daylight would be a bit miserable.

HOLA4413

"Estate agents listing properties for rent or sale should be forced to list its floor space", They do, its called the EPC.

One use of the EPC that may help. As long as they use an EPC provider that can measure a house. Certain areas of space are not included in the size measured, but the EA will help to explain how the EPC works out total floor area, LOL.

HOLA4414

At least with the total floor area on there you can take one look and work out whether or not it's good value. Unless the walls are structural, it probably wouldn't cost that much to improve the layout...

I suspect this place will feel considerably less roomy than the gross floor area might suggest :)

HOLA4415

Bedroom 3 cannot legally be called as such - you need an exit window you can step out if to the outside to call iita ' bedroom'

Well that's the case in Jockland anyway

HOLA4416
I've no idea where this thread should go. I'm filing it under 'Another reason why I'm not paying your delusional asking price.'
How do homes end up like this? How many bathrooms does a two bed flat or a three bed semi need? What possessed someone to extend there? Do architects get certified from Lego HQ?
vebr51.png

Well obviously Games Room and Utility room was the original entrance hall, Bedrooms 1 thru 4 and associated ablution centres were the Living Room and the Reception Room was the old breakfast/dining room. You'd sleep upstairs. But hey, just suck it up kids!

HOLA4417
vebr51.png

There's space to pack in a heck of a lot of Poles. I'm sure some canny BTLer has already thought of it.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
vebr51.png

Maybe they take you in and refuse to show you the way out until you agree to buy.

Edited by Gigantic Purple Slug

• 1 year later...
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
vebr51.png

That's hilarious. I hope the person in bedroom 1 doesn't want to go to the games room too often.

I thought that bedrooms without windows were illegal (should be!). Imagine the stink sleeping in an airless bedroom.

HOLA4424
Guest BillyNI

That's hilarious. I hope the person in bedroom 1 doesn't want to go to the games room too often.

I thought that bedrooms without windows were illegal (should be!). Imagine the stink sleeping in an airless bedroom.

I think bedroom 3 windows into the utility room. I'd love to see the pictures.

HOLA4425

"One does not simply walk upstairs to take a dump."

6tjzw6.gif

"Something smells good in the kitchen."

"That's Grandad taking a shit."

Let's face it - you can't have 4 bedrooms and an extra toilet. Why not make the 2nd floor a nice big room with an en-suite and take the crapper out of the ******ing kitchen!

20rlaux.png

Why share a bathroom when the study has so much spare space?

2mxqxj.jpg

Who needs storage space when you have toilets!

vmvjv5.jpg