House Price Crash Forum

Rise In Eu Immigration To The Uk

HOLA441

Actually offset by British workers flooding 'there' making it harder for 'them' to find jobs (following your logic)

Worth reading the ONS report to see how horribly you've been duped by the likes of Farage.
Most migrants are from non-EU and are students.

Being duped by no one , only reality sorry.

Farage says what a lot of people are experiencing thats why he is winning votes.

Edited by awaytogo

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I remember seeing on the BBC that EU migrants pay in a lot more than they take out in tax on average. Non-EU immigration was the opposite however.

I think that's well established and not disputed by UKIP supporters on HPC. Their complaint is that even the EU contributors compete with natives for stuff not directly funded by the state, ie. BTL rabbit hutches.

Overall it's still all about the Westminster elections - it is the UK government that sets policy in the EU, not the EU parliament.

HOLA443

Id agree that i like the foreign workers i meet at work - 70% of my department.

However my Hungarian colleague, freshly recruited at half my price, said he would continue working for half his wage and even considered forwarding this information to the recruiter, until i stopped him. I guess the fact is that eventually there has to be some sort of wage parity, thats fine. What isnt fine is at the same time as championing cheap labor, forcing UK citizens fight for ever decreasing wages, they are rocketing the cost of putting a roof over my head (and others) - to now impossible levels. In that respect i will vote UKIP..... anything.....just anything other than the shower of shit that is currently being rained down on us.

HOLA444

Id agree that i like the foreign workers i meet at work - 70% of my department.

However my Hungarian colleague, freshly recruited at half my price, said he would continue working for half his wage and even considered forwarding this information to the recruiter, until i stopped him. I guess the fact is that eventually there has to be some sort of wage parity, thats fine. What isnt fine is at the same time as championing cheap labor, forcing UK citizens fight for ever decreasing wages, they are rocketing the cost of putting a roof over my head (and others) - to now impossible levels. In that respect i will vote UKIP..... anything.....just anything other than the shower of shit that is currently being rained down on us.

Don’t blame EU immigrants for high house prices.

Since 2000 around 800-900k people from new EU countries have come to the UK, they needed 350k properties assuming 2.5 occupancy rate. That’s only 1% of all properties in the UK (28mln). This additional demand was easily offset by increased emigration of British Citizens which was also around 1mln. Net effect is close zero.

In the same period of time around 3mln properties were bought by investors. They priced you out.

HOLA445

Since 2000 around 800-900k people from new EU countries have come to the UK, they needed 350k properties assuming 2.5 occupancy rate. That’s only 1% of all properties in the UK (28mln). This additional demand was easily offset by increased emigration of British Citizens which was also around 1mln. Net effect is close zero.

In the same period of time around 3mln properties were bought by investors. They priced you out.

We know they were bought by investors, to house the immigration.!

HOLA446

I wasnt blaming immigrants if you re-read what i said. I can accept it and what it does to wages , its a natural market force. What i can not accept is how Government has consistently ramped the housing market to the stage its in now. If they wish to do that, then i would wish that immigrants didnt flood in.

HOLA447
HOLA448

3mln properties to house 800k people? That is 10 times more than needed.

Your figure for EU immigration is far to low and you do not even mention immigration from non eu countries or the aslylum seekers who have entered the country.

HOLA449

I wasnt blaming immigrants if you re-read what i said. I can accept it and what it does to wages , its a natural market force. What i can not accept is how Government has consistently ramped the housing market to the stage its in now. If they wish to do that, then i would wish that immigrants didnt flood in.

House prices and immigration are weakly linked.

Government encouraged immigration to help business and delay collapse of retirement Ponzi scheme caused by ageing population.

High house prices are welcome because elites are heavy invested in property.

HOLA4410

House prices and immigration are weakly linked.

Government encouraged immigration to help business and delay collapse of retirement Ponzi scheme caused by ageing population.

High house prices are welcome because elites are heavy invested in property.

Weakly in that it is just an added bonus. The main beauty of the quick fix is that they can hire professionals at a fraction of the cost and spend nothing on their education. Good for the indigenous who have already made their nest, pretty bad for the rest.

I am not convinced that high house prices are directly because the elites are heavily invested, though i would say that it is inked.

HOLA4411

Your figure for EU immigration is far to low and you do not even mention immigration from non eu countries or the aslylum seekers who have entered the country.

This number is based on ONS data for the new EU countries. See my previous post on this thread which shows a relevant graph from the ONS report. I've cross checked this with Polish stats, they report total emigration to the UK to be 600k.

Total net immigration to the UK was 2mln during that period. Total number properties in the UK increased by 2.5 mln.

HOLA4412

Weakly in that it is just an added bonus. The main beauty of the quick fix is that they can hire professionals at a fraction of the cost and spend nothing on their education. Good for the indigenous who have already made their nest, pretty bad for the rest.

I am not convinced that high house prices are directly because the elites are heavily invested, though i would say that it is inked.

I am just saying that the government is not doing much to lower the house prices because the elites are heavily invested. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

House prices are high because of investment demand. I estimate that there is around 600k supply (new building + recycling) , last year 300k were bought by investors, another 300k by FTBs. In early 2000s most of properties were bought by FTBs.

HOLA4413

I am just saying that the government is not doing much to lower the house prices because the elites are heavily invested. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

House prices are high because of investment demand. I estimate that there is around 600k supply (new building + recycling) , last year 300k were bought by investors, another 300k by FTBs. In early 2000s most of properties were bought by FTBs.

The elites have their fingers in many pies , i dont see any reasoning that hp are high because elite want it, its just a bonus for them.

Government intervention has caused investment demand. Without government interference i doubt we would have had this frenzy. The double whammy of cheap labor flooding in makes it worse.

HOLA4414

This number is based on ONS data for the new EU countries. See my previous post on this thread which shows a relevant graph from the ONS report. I've cross checked this with Polish stats, they report total emigration to the UK to be 600k.

Total net immigration to the UK was 2mln during that period. Total number properties in the UK increased by 2.5 mln.

The people do not believe the figures they keep pumping out, thats why the government are so frightened about the elections.

HOLA4415

Quite bizarre that the entire political debate in a country of c 62,000,000 people has been hijacked by a braying donkey over a few tens of thousands of people from Romania.

It'd be a country of under 50 million, if it wasn't for all the immigration.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I remember seeing on the BBC that EU migrants pay in a lot more than they take out in tax on average. Non-EU immigration was the opposite however.

A single academic study that made some heroic assumptions and estimates suggested they might make a small positive contribution.

It's obviously extremely hard to make these sort of estimates, but I find it astonishing for such a significant issue, that so few studies have been done.

HOLA4418

Step back, if immigration is so good for the economy then come the UK is running one of the biggest deficits in the developed world???

The UK should be running massive year on year surpluses. We are not.

The issues is not immigration, its tax credits, housing benefits and the west's only non-contributory benefit system.

HOLA4419

Step back, if immigration is so good for the economy then come the UK is running one of the biggest deficits in the developed world???

The issues is not immigration, its tax credits, housing benefits and the west's only non-contributory benefit system.

Because UK decided 40 years ago it wanted to shut down manufacturing and be a financial economy.

When that financial economy went bust the City elite decided it needed to be bailed out with public money.

It was. The depression which followed has led to the deficit.

The banks being recapitalised by stealing the money to do so from real wages & taxes & forcing up the govt. debt

The alternative of course was to simply default on all the banks' liabilities to savers/account holders directly. The 'debt' is simply a reflection of 'savings' so destroying savings would of course have 'repaid' the debt.

Think Cyprus.

HOLA4420

Globalisation caused the labour price to go down. Reduced worker income was compensated with credit expansion. When credit bubble burst government was forced to expand deficit to fill the gap. Central banks helped finance the deficit with printing money and lower interest rates.

In the whole process of globalisation rich accumulated money which was created by credit expansion and QE. Without additional money poor couldn't afford products from China. This would push prices down squeezing rich profit margins and China labour causing globalisation to become unprofitable.

Benefit system helps reducing growing rich/poor gap. Without it poor will be very unhappy and try to balance the system themselves. Unfortunately rich are not willing to share their wealth. They prefer to become even richer by enslaving poor (earn yield).

(I am aware that this is very simplified description but I think it captures the core process).

HOLA4421

Because UK decided 40 years ago it wanted to shut down manufacturing and be a financial economy.

When that financial economy went bust the City elite decided it needed to be bailed out with public money.

It was. The depression which followed has led to the deficit.

The banks being recapitalised by stealing the money to do so from real wages & taxes & forcing up the govt. debt

The alternative of course was to simply default on all the banks' liabilities to savers/account holders directly. The 'debt' is simply a reflection of 'savings' so destroying savings would of course have 'repaid' the debt.

Think Cyprus.

Just to note, there was already quite a whopping deficit before the financial system bailouts made things even worse.

HOLA4422

Just to note, there was already quite a whopping deficit before the financial system bailouts made things even worse.

The Deficit has been POLICY for over 100 years.

HOLA4423

Quick question, what is stopping us from introducing a rule that you only get benefits after living here 5/16/18 years?

No problem with immigration or consistent rules for all, but seems like the main argument against benefits is that its against EU laws to discriminate against who gets them. This way we could stay in the EU and bring in a short term rule change.

HOLA4424

If you are an immigrant and witnessed that massive swing to UKIP...would you be worried at what's coming next ?

The british people do not want the immigration of the last 10 years. This could result in a lot of friction in the coming years.

I for one would want not want to be in a country that is becoming more and more right wing fuelled by unlimited immigration.

HOLA4425

If you are an immigrant and witnessed that massive swing to UKIP...would you be worried at what's coming next ?

The british people do not want the immigration of the last 10 years. This could result in a lot of friction in the coming years.

I for one would want not want to be in a country that is becoming more and more right wing fuelled by unlimited immigration.

Hmm let's wait and see.

I'm predicting zero impact on the UK's desirability as a destination for immigrants. They just can't seem to get enough of this tiny, irrelevant place and its foul, racist people.