House Price Crash Forum

Back To 2007

HOLA441

Looking at rightmove now I am seeing houses that didn't sell in 2007/2008/2009/2010 before the owners gave up. They are coming back on the market at least at 2007 asking price, usually more.

I'm seeing new stuff that I've never seem before coming on now, not at 2007 level prices but 2007 level prices + 20% !!!

Is anyone else seeing this ?

It's like 6 years of my life didn't happen.

I was happy to wait for the slow grind down where property prices would eventually make sense, but now, we are back to square 1.

I don't think for a minute many people are going to get "lucky" and find buyers at these prices but it does show the mind set of people and that the media hype has had a dramatic impact.

Lending at 2007 prices was enough to collapse the world economy....wages haven't shifted since then, the only thing we have is lower mortgage costs contracted by a higher cost of living.

I now realise England is full to f-wits.

P.S. Did anyone see scandimania, the nordic countries look like they have got it ( more ) right that the UK. It really is time to get out of here!!!

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

P.S. Did anyone see scandimania, the nordic countries look like they have got it ( more ) right that the UK. It really is time to get out of here!!!

Yes, and that was my overwhelming reaction too. Showed UK up to be a very backwards place.

HOLA443

Yes, and that was my overwhelming reaction too. Showed UK up to be a very backwards place.

Backward

greedy

selfish

corrupt

failing

shallow

empty

disintegrating

croynysm

arrogant

unhappy

overcrowded

elitist

going nowhere

lack of community

no future for the young

All of those words sprung to mind.

Buying a home here now is not an option. The UK government has made the choice easy for anyone with half a brain....get out.

HOLA444

Normally my postcode's Rightmove Price Comparison Search shows lots of stuff that has been recently reduced in price. This week it's all new listings at utterly ridiculous prices. Looks like a lot of vendors who have held of have decided that now is the time. Lots of supply st stupid prices isn't going to get things going though IMO.

HOLA445

Backward

greedy

selfish

corrupt

failing

shallow

empty

disintegrating

croynysm

arrogant

unhappy

overcrowded

elitist

going nowhere

lack of community

no future for the young

Buying a home here now is not an option. The UK government has made the choice easy for anyone with half a brain....get out.

You need to Juice Daily.

HOLA446

Backward

greedy

selfish

corrupt

failing

shallow

empty

disintegrating

croynysm

arrogant

unhappy

overcrowded

elitist

going nowhere

lack of community

no future for the young

I have been back a week and can agree with the above, I would like to add.

Decaying.

It's quite obvious to me that the biggest mistake the UK ever made was with it's restrictive planning policy and the green belt. Watching people commute for an hour to get to Bristol, London, Oxford etc. when there is plenty of space that could be built upon is economic suicide. The amount of productivity lost (time) and fule burnt causing pollution is unbelievable, just to save a couple thousand acres of low grade farm land!

Another huge problem caused by the planning density guidelines is cars and parking. Having so many people crammed into one place means there is no room for them to live and park their cars, thus leading to stress and chaos.

I can see the UK is waking up a little with millions of new homes on green belt passing planning in the last 12 months (for example 6,000 at Bristol). In theory this should reduce overcrowding in the existing urban areas and reduce the traffic chaos being seen.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

A friend was showing me a flat he bought in French Alps for very little. Absolutely beautiful place - hot summers with loads of cycling and walking. In winter dry snow so loads of skiing and snowboarding.

After the last 8 weeks of almost constant rain I am glad that I do not own a house here. This rain might go on for months yet.

HOLA4411

I think in London and many parts of the South East, buyers would bite the sellers hand off to have the opportunity to buy at 2007 prices.

I'm not sure where the idea that 2007 was the peak comes from. The peak being a moving target surely - 2007 was more like a local maximum or inflection point.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

HOLA4412

Backward

greedy

selfish

corrupt

failing

shallow

empty

disintegrating

croynysm

arrogant

unhappy

overcrowded

elitist

going nowhere

lack of community

no future for the young

People with homes have not only been protected they have had wealth increased...low interest rates and HPI have left them with smaller mortgages.The ones without are stuck using Government schemes to try and get on the ''ladder'' or just give up.

HOLA4413

People with homes have not only been protected they have had wealth increased...

That is simply not true. In real terms house prices in most of the country are down 30% in real terms.

Wages aren't up but relative to everything else houses are worth much less than they were.

No one is being protected except the mega-rich and the politicians/public sector with their index linked pensions, the rest of us are being slowly financially destroyed, home owner or saver.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Remember, after the next Recession they will not be able to slash int rates...

Remember, after when the next Recession starts they will not be able to slash int rates...

They will be able to take your savings...pensions...assets...future.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4418

Yep afraid so.

I've seen a lot of crazy asking prices (Stockport area) although I've yet to see evidence of people actually paying it in the Land Registry sold data.

Wonder if the BoE will do anything today to quell it? Wishful thinking I guess.

I suspect that they will follow the Alan Greenspan 'I see no bubbles' methodology.

I've done a quick rightmove search and it's about the first time that our house would be listed for more than we bought it (nominal) in late 2006.

Still.. what the worst that could happen?

HOLA4419

Backward

greedy

selfish

corrupt

failing

shallow

empty

disintegrating

croynysm

arrogant

unhappy

overcrowded

elitist

going nowhere

lack of community

no future for the young

AND WET

HOLA4420

Remember, after when the next Recession starts they will not be able to slash int rates...

They will be able to take your savings...pensions...assets...future.

But int rates will not fall so... effect on HPs...

Answers on a postcard to non-believers at BTL.com, New Build City, Everywhere

HOLA4421

I think in London and many parts of the South East, buyers would bite the sellers hand off to have the opportunity to buy at 2007 prices.

I'm not sure where the idea that 2007 was the peak comes from. The peak being a moving target surely - 2007 was more like a local maximum or inflection point.

2007 is still the peak in most of the country. The rest of the country had larger price falls than London/SE and has taken a lot longer to 'recover'. It is only now that a lot of areas are starting to see 207-type prices again.

I totally agree about London, though. I'd definitely buy now if given a chance to at 2007 prices. The price of a small house in my area seems to have gone:

2007: £450k (the peak)

2008: £400k (the 'crash')

2009: £400k

2010: £450k

2011: £500k

2012: £550k

2013: £650k

2014: Seemingly whatever the vendor wants to ask plus 10% as it will inevitable go to sealed bids.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

People with homes have not only been protected they have had wealth increased...low interest rates and HPI have left them with smaller mortgages.The ones without are stuck using Government schemes to try and get on the ''ladder'' or just give up.

When something comes along to limit buyers from wanting to, or being able to pay, only then might we see some HPC. HTB2 picked up the slack for now. It doesn't really matter that they're paying down mortgage debt. It doesn't have that much of a bearing. OK it might make a few sellers want to hold out for higher prices, having smaller or no mortgage debt at all. For us, it only matters what new buyers are willing to pay, and how many such buyers are out there in the market willing to pay high asking prices. That determines what their homes are worth.

I've seen a lot of crazy asking prices (Stockport area) although I've yet to see evidence of people actually paying it in the Land Registry sold data.

Hmmm. Not what I've been seeing. Put in any one of many areas of South Manchester into Rightmove Sold prices, and plenty of examples of houses selling for way more than 2006/07 prices in 2011/12/13 and 14. http://www.rightmove...use-prices.html

That is simply not true. In real terms house prices in most of the country are down 30% in real terms.

It feels like the opposite of that to me, for areas I follow.

HOLA4424

Looking at rightmove now I am seeing houses that didn't sell in 2007/2008/2009/2010 before the owners gave up. They are coming back on the market at least at 2007 asking price, usually more.

I'm seeing new stuff that I've never seem before coming on now, not at 2007 level prices but 2007 level prices + 20% !!!

It really is time to get out of here!!!

How long have you been saying this Count? Save your breath and JUST DO IT!

We did THANK GOD.

HOLA4425

I was happy to wait for the slow grind down where property prices would eventually make sense, but now, we are back to square 1.

I don't think for a minute many people are going to get "lucky" and find buyers at these prices but it does show the mind set of people and that the media hype has had a dramatic impact.

Lending at 2007 prices was enough to collapse the world economy....wages haven't shifted since then, the only thing we have is lower mortgage costs contracted by a higher cost of living.

I now realise England is full to f-wits.

This is what some of us have been saying is happening. I see it has got to Northampton now.