House Price Crash Forum

Ding Dong The Recovery Is Dead

HOLA441
HOLA442

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24938048

"UK retail sales fall 0.7% in October

UK retail sales volumes fell 0.7% in October, with mild weather affecting sales of winter clothing, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) has said."

Apparently there is going to be huge freeze next week - the Express and Mail said so - so sales will soar :D

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

UK retail sales volumes fell 0.7% in October, with mild weather affecting sales of winter clothing, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) has said."

Extraordinary :lol:

As economists were saying on another thread people are just so unpredictable even using their "models". For sure most people would have thought that the express headline would have had people rushing out and about in October to buy winter woolies and anti freeze etc to boost the sales stats.

Looking for "bargains".

http://

www.express.co.uk/news/uk/436170/Worst-winter-for-decades-Record-breaking-snow-predicted-for-November

But no - it seems that the "early warning" headline has just been ignored.

There's still time of course :) but so far, for November, the weather's been quite good.

Edited by billybong

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

As economists were saying on another thread people are just so unpredictable even using their "models". For sure most people would have thought that the express headline would have had people rushing out and about in October to buy winter woolies and anti freeze etc to boost the sales stats.

Looking for "bargains".

www.express.co.uk/news/uk/436170/Worst-winter-for-decades-Record-breaking-snow-predicted-for-November

There's still time of course :) but so far, for November, the weather's been quite good.

Christmas would be much much cheaper if you celebrate it 2 days later. :rolleyes:

I will be buying everyone I know one of these vouchers this year...hopefully they can spend it before the issuer goes belly up it becomes worthless:

10-pound-note.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

EDIT: Mods are we allowed to display pictures of BoE notes ? if not please delete.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4410

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24938048

What do you think?

They haven't printed enough money and the base rate is too high at 0.5%?

More stimulus?

HOLA4411

What do you think?

More stimulus?

I think so.

I think they will reduce the base rate in line with the ECB of last week. I think that the ECB will print soon and that will be an excuse for Carney/Osborne to do similar.

They will come up with some excuse for doing so - the recovery was faltering, etc.

I suspect the Pound will go lower and more foreigners will buy houses in the UK. I am not sure how best to try and benefit from it though? Share? PMs?

HOLA4412

More stimulus?

There isn't enough residual income around. Printing doesn't fix that.

We can't cut back any more - we rent, never eat out, cars are 10 years and 5 years old. Sky is now min subscription. Not even put heating back on yet.

Probably still some slack in food bill, but ...

Also with HTB a lot of people may be getting a sniff that they might have a chance of buying again - so may have started scraping together a deposit.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

There isn't enough residual income around. Printing doesn't fix that.

We can't cut back any more - we rent, never eat out, cars are 10 years and 5 years old. Sky is now min subscription. Not even put heating back on yet.

Probably still some slack in food bill, but ...

Also with HTB a lot of people may be getting a sniff that they might have a chance of buying again - so may have started scraping together a deposit.

They will try to allow banks to convert increased house values into residual income to drive consumer spending. Back to 2007 style stupid lending secured nominally on crackpot home valuations. It worked last time. There is no plan B.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Printy printy, easy, easy

The benefit of having its own currency and central bank is that the UK can respond quickly and easily to QE and interest rate cuts in the US and Eurozone

The disadvantage of doing so once, is that it has to be done again: every time either the US or the EZ does...

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

What do you think?

More stimulus?

Naaaa, the Queen told them to stop, so they have reverted to talking up the economy. This will only be a blip on a smooth upward ( in a downwardly fashion ) path.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Looking for "bargains".

Weather headlines are a bit like house price headlines in the Express:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulhudson/posts/whats-behind-the-coldest-winte

To quote the article:

"Weather sells newspapers they said; admitting that each and every time they had a front page story on extreme weather, their circulation went up by around 10%."

Express.jpg

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

When it is not cold enough we do not buy our winter coat or boots....when it is not hot enough we do not buy our costume and t-shirts.......no we wear what we have in the cupboard and either put the heating on or air conditioning on. ;)

You don't rush down the shops every autumn and spring to renew your wardrobe??!!! You are a drain on our economy! Report to Dignitas immediately!

HOLA4424

I think so.

I think they will reduce the base rate in line with the ECB of last week. I think that the ECB will print soon and that will be an excuse for Carney/Osborne to do similar.

They will come up with some excuse for doing so - the recovery was faltering, etc.

I suspect the Pound will go lower and more foreigners will buy houses in the UK. I am not sure how best to try and benefit from it though? Share? PMs?

AEP's done another flip flop this morning!

ECB ready to print, Germany ready to scream

flip_flops_.jpg

HOLA4425