House Price Crash Forum

The Bubbly Bitcoin Thread -- Merged Threads

HOLA441
HOLA442

The thing is, it takes quite a lot of USD to bump BTC now, especially with the increased leakage into alts. So there's obviously some big players entering, but just how deep are their pockets?

I have to admit, it is nice to know that at some point those market players who sold big are getting squashed by new money. It happened in every previous bubble and they will always buy back in. That's when the price goes mental. I think the Chinese sold a lot at 1200 due to the exchanges closing withdrawals, and a lot of panic sellers sold there again because of BU FUD and ETF FUD. They'll be sat there on the sidelines now thinking "oh sh1t, how high is this going?" and "I'll buy on the retrace..."

There's so much funny money about. I don't think there's any limit really. The difference now compared to 2013 is that the altcoins are real companies with real employees and real business plans, although most of them are in their infancy. I would not like to be 100% in anything right now, I really have no idea how this explosion is going to end, but I would say it's not about magic internet money anymore.  It's not even Fintech. It's something else.  Decentralized everything and the IOT (Internet of Things). The way we do everything on the internet is going to change.

HOLA443
37 minutes ago, adamLancs said:

The thing is, it takes quite a lot of USD to bump BTC now, especially with the increased leakage into alts. So there's obviously some big players entering, but just how deep are their pockets?

I have to admit, it is nice to know that at some point those market players who sold big are getting squashed by new money. It happened in every previous bubble and they will always buy back in. That's when the price goes mental. I think the Chinese sold a lot at 1200 due to the exchanges closing withdrawals, and a lot of panic sellers sold there again because of BU FUD and ETF FUD. They'll be sat there on the sidelines now thinking "oh sh1t, how high is this going?" and "I'll buy on the retrace..."

There's so much funny money about. I don't think there's any limit really. The difference now compared to 2013 is that the altcoins are real companies with real employees and real business plans, although most of them are in their infancy. I would not like to be 100% in anything right now, I really have no idea how this explosion is going to end, but I would say it's not about magic internet money anymore.  It's not even Fintech. It's something else.  Decentralized everything and the IOT (Internet of Things). The way we do everything on the internet is going to change.

+1

This is a once every couple of decades opportunity to build capital. This stuff is not going away.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

£1,416 It's still climbing a wall this bubble has a lot further to go yet.

To understand Bitcoin you have a rough grasp on history, economics and phycology, its a well crafted bubble machine.  Quite simple yet powerful.

Bitcoin is always going to slowly build in price for years and years, with the occasional massive bubble and crash setting new highs, and new higher lows.

It's had its baptism of fire with the previous crash, its not died. When we are all old, we will look back and smile. Houses 0.5BTC, kids cant afford with their lowly satoshi salary (if nothing changes)

Or alternatively 'why did you just stick £100 in as a punt!, someones dad at school bought a whole 0.2BTC when he heard about it, and hes on his third boat now'

Edited by jiltedjen

HOLA447
18 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

To understand Bitcoin you have a rough grasp on history, economics and phycology, its a well crafted bubble machine.  Quite simple yet powerful.

Bitcoin is always going to slowly build in price for years and years, with the occasional massive bubble and crash setting new highs, and new higher lows.

It's had its baptism of fire with the previous crash, its not died. When we are all old, we will look back and smile. Houses 0.5BTC, kids cant afford with their lowly satoshi salary (if nothing changes)

Or alternatively 'why did you just stick £100 in as a punt!, someones dad at school bought a whole 0.2BTC when he heard about it, and hes on his third boat now'

I agree. The limited supply and the proven (if slightly congested) technological model creates an ever-widening pool of long-term holders who believe in Bitcoin as a store of value, and who will probably never sell. I have doubts about whether Bitcoin will do anything interesting on a technical level now but my interest in it is as an uncorrelated asset now. 

Over the past few years, I've taken profits to keep my holding at a sensible size and I simply won't sell what I have left, unless there is another leg up in prices. If prices fell, I'd probably top-up to get back to my preferred portfolio balance. The bubble machine creates a lot of strong hands and draws in new people all the time. It's simple and it works.

(Ethereum has a very different risk profile, as far as I'm concerned. It could be worth loads if the network and technology becomes valuable. It could end up being worth nothing if the technology fails, or if the technology works and activity ends up in private chains, or if the value of Ether just ends up being low despite the network being a success.)  

HOLA448
52 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

I think the general understanding, adoption and the advancement of blockchain technology is accelerating. I think there are bigger things to come yet that we cannot comprehend at this early stage.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

OK some general musing on cryptos ... the way I see there are three killer apps of crypto ccurrencies: inflation proof store of value, smart contracts and low friction micro transactions.

So bitcoin looks like its going to dominate the store of value end of things. Etherium looks like potential front runner for smart contracts.So that leaves micro transactions - anyone any thoughts on what has good potential here ?.

HOLA4414
23 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

OK some general musing on cryptos ... the way I see there are three killer apps of crypto ccurrencies: inflation proof store of value, smart contracts and low friction micro transactions.

So bitcoin looks like its going to dominate the store of value end of things. Etherium looks like potential front runner for smart contracts.So that leaves micro transactions - anyone any thoughts on what has good potential here ?.

Lightning network built on top of bitcoin. It is extremely unlikely a blockchain will scale well enough to handle micropayments in a decentralised manor. 

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I think the price is correcting ready for its next surge. Strangely people hardly ever seem to buy bitcoin on weekends.

seems there's always quite a softening in price as the weekends comes. must either be something to do with the exchanges work? Maybe it's more professional investors, or simply people tend to buy after work 

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Anyone buying in at these (seemingly insane to me) prices who isn't hedged by having also bought BTC at much lower prices? 

Is it a speculative bubble, or do the fundamentals really justify these dizzying heights?!

(Sort of rhetorical questions, but feel free to share your thoughts!)

HOLA4423

I had an add at the trenbdline on bitcoin, missed my entry by 50c. On lite coin I missed my 60c had a bid at 20$. Added some ether at 82, trying to buy ripple and stellar on a pullback (not happened yet), watching doge, looks like might be a runner and cheap as chips.

HOLA4424

My £15 entry point allows me just to sit and hold. At the time it looked like a crazy bubble so I only put a few hundred on as a punt.

i think everyone should have a punt of a few hundred. Not the end of the world to loose it. And a lot of upside. I'm glad I did.

HOLA4425