House Price Crash Forum

So It's That Time

Soul Reaver

HOLA441
<br />Wifey sees it as dead money and not value.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I also don't get this

surely on such a high salary she should not be above listening to rational criticism and even understanding this pretty basic stuff

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Wifey sees it as dead money and not value.

How much money have you got saved? It sounds as though you ought to be pretty near being able to afford to pay the rent just using the interest. So...

• You can blow your savings to buy somewhere that could lose 50% of the purchase price

• You can rent somewhere, using the interest, still keeping your powder dry and still adding to your savings

Anyway, Bruce Banner will be along in a minute to have a rant at you...

HOLA445
HOLA446

We do VERY much enjoy life but partly because of this site it sticks in my craw to pay a sniveling "home owner" (laughable term) 200 grand over what he paid for a place just because he is a sniveling "home owner" and he put some strategically placed sticks in the living room.

If we bought our dream home at say 800k to 1 mill and then took a 25% hit that's quite a lot of money even for us. At 400k it's not so bad but still quite a lot.

My main issue is that I really did believe in the crash, a big one! And what did we get? We got a damp squibb didn't we! Be just my luck that I held out this long and then buy and then it all kicks off LOL.

Seems like you're cutting your nose off to spite your face. Forget about the 1%ers. You and your Mrs probably fall into the top 0.1% income wise and you're still living with your sister in Slough! HAHA! I thought I was tight ...

Isn't the whole point of being rich that you don't need to worry about money? Even if you lose 250K on your dream home you'll still have your dream home - it's just one year's net pay to you both, you'll get over it. If you have a new kid you won't even think about it. Just get on with your stuff, man!

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

We do VERY much enjoy life but partly because of this site it sticks in my craw to pay a sniveling "home owner" (laughable term) 200 grand over what he paid for a place just because he is a sniveling "home owner" and he put some strategically placed sticks in the living room.

If we bought our dream home at say 800k to 1 mill and then took a 25% hit that's quite a lot of money even for us. At 400k it's not so bad but still quite a lot.

My main issue is that I really did believe in the crash, a big one! And what did we get? We got a damp squibb didn't we! Be just my luck that I held out this long and then buy and then it all kicks off LOL.

Should be quite easy with your (supposed) income to find distressed sellers/auction property/hammer out a cash deal that saves you money on a very decent house?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

My wife and I are considering emigrating too. After all living costs are paid in London, there is very little left over for actually living, let alone saving and pension contributions. The trouble is I am fairly well paid and it's hard to give that up knowing if we did return I might not be employed, let alone be well paid.

You have very little to actually live, save or start a pension.....what exactly are you giving up again?

HOLA4413

Seems like you're cutting your nose off to spite your face. Forget about the 1%ers. You and your Mrs probably fall into the top 0.1% income wise and you're still living with your sister in Slough! HAHA! I thought I was tight ...

Isn't the whole point of being rich that you don't need to worry about money? Even if you lose 250K on your dream home you'll still have your dream home - it's just one year's net pay to you both, you'll get over it. If you have a new kid you won't even think about it. Just get on with your stuff, man!

You know I thought once that when I get to 5k a month ill be so rich all my problems will be over etc etc. It's a fallacy. As you earn more and you learn and understand how HARD it is to make lots of money value becomes more important, security also becomes more important because you don't want to have to go through the dreaded re-set.

You say "even if you lose 250k on your dream home" as though nothing else would have happened in that scenario! Our jobs would also have gone too.

Our jobs and lifestyle (I race cars and am part of a team) would go in a downturn like that and then we would be left with no money coming in but a big house to service. If we don't take on large debt like getting the dream 1 mill home and having a 500k mortgage for example then even if that happened we would have other opportunity's and no large stress.

Were not tight by any means. I spend 2k a month on motorsport minimum every month and last year my yearly costs were over 30 grand but we do everything cash so its affordable. Debt worries me.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Also that would then mean you'd been wrong twice. Not pleasant.

HOLA4421

Very nice, but will it be "snapped up" to rent, or just sit there empty?

Funny that as I have not looked at rentals before but there are TONS of them! Really nice houses too. Makes me wonder where the owners are.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Also that would then mean you'd been wrong twice. Not pleasant.

Double whammy but yes you're right. I was so **** sure we would have a massive 50% crash and I would step in a buy the dream home for a song. WRONG!

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Look if you've managed to get yourselves into a position where you net 20k a month, being wrong about the crash is not that important. Imagine those who were wrong and earn 3k a month or less. They are the ones who were swindled the most, along with the young.

Tell me, is there a chance that you wouldn't be earning anything at all if there'd been a catastrophic crash?

I bet there is, because the economic consequences of such a crash would have been huge.

A little perspective may be in order....