Sign in to follow this  
Soul Reaver

So It's That Time

Wifey god bless her is talking more and more about

A. A baby

B. A home

Options on the table are as follows

1. Buy home here, nothing too extravagant 400k tops

2. Stay with her sister and wait, a bit (being doing that for quite a few years now I might add)!!

3. Pack up and move to Dubai. A place we both enjoy a lot. Rent somewhere nice or buy and start a business in the sun.

We are relatively cash rich netting about 20k a month so we save quite a lot.

What do you think?

A. A baby

B. A home

2. Stay with her sister and wait, a bit (being doing that for quite a few years now I might add)!!

3. Pack up and move to Dubai. A place we both enjoy a lot. Rent somewhere nice or buy and start a business in the sun.

What do you think?

With 20K a month, surely you can rent a nice place (and still save)? Alternatively, buy somewhere (where are you BTW?). Your house will hopefully drop in value, but it doesn't sound like that's going to matter - might make you wince a bit every now and then...

A. A baby

B. A home

What do you think?

nothing

What do you think?

You net 20K a month? Buy yourselves a f*cking yacht and don't come back to HPC ever again!

You net 20K a month? Buy yourselves a f*cking yacht and don't come back to HPC ever again!

I know we get all sorts on here waiting desperately for affordable homes, but if I was netting 20k a month I would have bought years ago and not worry about bloody house prices.

A. A baby

B. A home

What do you think?

....don't put all your savings into buying a house.....babies don't require paid for houses, they will live anywhere. ;)

Edited by winkie

A. A baby

B. A home

What do you think?

What is the attraction in Dubai? And why can`t you already have a "home" on 20k a month?

I know we get all sorts on here waiting desperately for affordable homes, but if I was netting 20k a month I would have bought years ago and not worry about bloody house prices.

ha ha good answer. Made me smile.

Bit more info.

We both work in and around London. I used to work in Switzerland but have since come back. We live with her sister in Slough and don't want to buy anywhere near London as we both see houses there as poor value and overpriced. If we buy anywhere else in the country (we look between Northampton and Peterborough down to Luton in a triangle) it becomes a weekend home as we work in London and we still live with her sister in the week. We both loathe long commutes.

I favor just f-ing off myself as let's face it the standard of living in this country is very low compared to other places I can think of, have lived in.

To be fair to the OP it's all relative. You don't know how long the status quo will continue, and with the sort of place you'd buy on that kind of income, a 20% drop in nominal house prices after you've bought equals a ball crushing nominal loss.

That said, I do tend to agree that if the money is comparatively easy come, it's worth just getting on with life and enjoying it.

Earning a very decent wedge doesn't suddenly mean that you stop caring about value for money.

If you're netting that much then with what you have saved already plus careful income investment you could retire in very few years, I'd keep cheapskating but investing in diverse things for income. Once your passive income is in excess of 3k a month there are plenty of nice places you can retire or do something nice and relaxing.

Personally I would not choose the UK as it the quality/price is one of the worst n the world IMO but you may have other things in your life that trump that hard fact, like family, or even your income depending on being there.

Beware, once sprog is older than 4 or 5 wifey will want to dictate where you go and what you do(even more) but it will be dressed up as being all for sprog's benefit.

Bit more info.

We both work in and around London. I used to work in Switzerland but have since come back. We live with her sister in Slough and don't want to buy anywhere near London as we both see houses there as poor value and overpriced. If we buy anywhere else in the country (we look between Northampton and Peterborough down to Luton in a triangle) it becomes a weekend home as we work in London and we still live with her sister in the week. We both loathe long commutes.

I favor just f-ing off myself as let's face it the standard of living in this country is very low compared to other places I can think of, have lived in.

I would just rent the cheapest decent house that was commutable (without losing the will to live) in or around London and wait for the fast approaching crash. If as many people are on I.O only mortgages in London as they say on here then any sharp movement up of interest rates is going to let you pick up a bargain if you want it? You sound like you don`t like London or working in London?

To be fair to the OP it's all relative. You don't know how long the status quo will continue, and with the sort of place you'd buy on that kind of income, a 20% drop in nominal house prices after you've bought equals a ball crushing nominal loss.

That said, I do tend to agree that if the money is comparatively easy come, it's worth just getting on with life and enjoying it.

We do VERY much enjoy life but partly because of this site it sticks in my craw to pay a sniveling "home owner" (laughable term) 200 grand over what he paid for a place just because he is a sniveling "home owner" and he put some strategically placed sticks in the living room.

If we bought our dream home at say 800k to 1 mill and then took a 25% hit that's quite a lot of money even for us. At 400k it's not so bad but still quite a lot.

My main issue is that I really did believe in the crash, a big one! And what did we get? We got a damp squibb didn't we! Be just my luck that I held out this long and then buy and then it all kicks off LOL.

Bit more info.

My wife and I are considering emigrating too. After all living costs are paid in London, there is very little left over for actually living, let alone saving and pension contributions. The trouble is I am fairly well paid and it's hard to give that up knowing if we did return I might not be employed, let alone be well paid.

Earning a very decent wedge doesn't suddenly mean that you stop caring about value for money.

But as we have seen with all the printing and other shenanigans, money doesn`t really have "value" the way many people think. On that amount of money I would just make my life as painless as possible until the inevitable correction. Living with the wife`s sister, unless she has a massive country house, wouldn`t be on the menu.

How many opportunities for a joint 20k/month net income do you think exist outside London ?

Money isn't everything.....he could buy a little bolt hole in Londinium stay awhile until sorted then move wherever and rent in the new town of choice, with a new job of choice. ;)

Well if people are running their own business I would imagine quite a lot, but that wasn`t the question I asked.

Wife likes it I have a very different view as my last job was in Bern for 3 years and apart from the Swiss being rather boring the standard of living is excellent. Being 45 mins from the Eiger makes life very pleasant you know.

I don't get it

I thought that rental value tended to get better the higher up you went, so rent