House Price Crash Forum

Rise Of The 'super-Commuter': Number Of Britons Travelling Three Hours Each Day For Work Soars By 50 Per Cent In Five Years

HOLA441
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I often cycle almost exactly that distance into work and back (45 miles total), quickest time one way last year 57 mins10secs. Although average speed slower than this. I couldn't do it every day though. Never had a combined journey more than 2h:45m's though.

Not for most people though i'll admit.

Very tiring. I used to do a similar journey. Didcot to Thatcham but it was mostly off road on tracks. But only in the summer (back in the days under John Major when summer's were hot and dry and lasted about 6 months).

Last 5 years I've been doing over 4 hours a day round trip across countries too but have stopped now. I was doing the equivalent of going around the world every 10 months by bus.

HOLA443

Wife did her last day commuting on the train. For the first time ever, neither of us are relying on over inflated transport costs to get to work. The Train network has simply priced themselves out of the market. Even travelling to parents I would rather cycle 35 miles each way than hand money over to them. And of cause tandems are a lot of fun :). After 3 years the mortgage will be so small there is no way I can be coerced back into a long commute.

That is the ideal, but it is not really doable in London. I live perhaps 11 miles from work, but the route would be so busy it would be dangerous to cycle, not to mention that my fitness level would mean that it would take twice as long as the train to start with!

The problem with London is that the train can never really price themselves out of the market. Cycling is out of the question (for most people), driving is far too expensive and takes twice as long and even living closer in is not really an option unless you are mega-rich or happy to live in a scary area.

I am always annoyed by the 'thank you for travelling with South West Trains' automated announcement that is made on the train each morning - I wouldn't travel with them unless I had to, but I don't have any choice!

HOLA444

doesnt sound like a great existence

No it doesn't! My 45 minute commute gets a bit grating at times, but I suppose it is what you are used to. I have always said I would never take a job that involved more than an hour each way commute. If a job came up that was so good I couldn't refuse it, I'd rather move than do a long commute even in the short term.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Very tiring. I used to do a similar journey. Didcot to Thatcham but it was mostly off road on tracks. But only in the summer (back in the days under John Major when summer's were hot and dry and lasted about 6 months).

Last 5 years I've been doing over 4 hours a day round trip across countries too but have stopped now. I was doing the equivalent of going around the world every 10 months by bus.

yeah it is, to be honest i'm getting pretty knacked with it, as much mentally as physically as other routes would just add too much time to my journey, so the same roads day in day out biking is hard going. Been a bit "lazy" as such lately and had quite a few weeks off with holidays and a bit of illness. will get back into it in a week or two. Using the car is so much easier! (which I do get the use of a fair bit) but on the return journey only about 10-20 mins quicker than cycling due to increased traffic.

Unfortunetely my best route is all on road, could possibly find an off road section or two but would need a different bike.

HOLA447

That is the ideal, but it is not really doable in London. I live perhaps 11 miles from work, but the route would be so busy it would be dangerous to cycle, not to mention that my fitness level would mean that it would take twice as long as the train to start with!

The problem with London is that the train can never really price themselves out of the market. Cycling is out of the question (for most people), driving is far too expensive and takes twice as long and even living closer in is not really an option unless you are mega-rich or happy to live in a scary area.

I am always annoyed by the 'thank you for travelling with South West Trains' automated announcement that is made on the train each morning - I wouldn't travel with them unless I had to, but I don't have any choice!

scooter or small Motorbike ?

HOLA448

Sorry but your existence sounds awful.

If you need a longer walk home from work to switch off then go round the long way!

I'm not saying commuting is great, but in the south east, the only part of the UK I can find decent jobs in my field with future development, its the best option for me. I can work in a job with prospects by day and live in a country setting by night/weekend. The aim is to get the commute down to about an hour each way - which seems about normal for this part of the world - at which part family life should be easier. This should be do-able.

The "I will walk around the block a bit to switch off after work" argument is very similar to the "I will buy a years gym membership and that will motivate me to go exercise" argument. People will just head home - the wife will expect you back at a fixed time, it will be raining or cold, you will want to watch some TV programme. Whatever, you wont ever walk around that block and really switch off. A switch off period between work and home life helps me, perhaps as I have a history of bringing workplace stress back to the homeplace, and I know this is a trait I need to stop.

Again, I'm not championing commuting, but people adapt. One advantage of the commuting lifestyle is workplaces also adapt. Boss totally understands I'm in late and have to be gone at a fixed time no matter what in the evening. A day to work at home is OK weekly or so (Although I'm a lazy sod when in the house during the week, so tend to come in). Lets see how I feel in a year or two.

Edited by Does Commute Alot

HOLA449

Not sure why. Cycling levels in London have been going up in recent years. Eg a chap in my office was asking me about my cycle commute as he's fed up with high train fares. People just seem to think it's impossible until they try it. A round trip of 10 miles a day is perfectly do-able for anybody with moderate fitness.

HOLA4410

Not sure why. Cycling levels in London have been going up in recent years. Eg a chap in my office was asking me about my cycle commute as he's fed up with high train fares. People just seem to think it's impossible until they try it. A round trip of 10 miles a day is perfectly do-able for anybody with moderate fitness.

Cycling levels in Northampton must be higher. I dont intend this to be derogatory and I can't provide any evidence of my claim but I've seen what seems to me a lot of eastern European types on bikes around northampton. I guess a great many of them they come here and can't afford a car so opt for the bike, pulic transport or shanks; pony.

Conversely, the Chinese are moving away from bikes and into cars....

HOLA4411

Cycling is out of the question (for most people),

Hardly out of the question - simply less desirable. I do 25-35 mile round trip most days (we have multiple offices) on bike, bed to desk is about an hour inc. showering in the office (admittedly, likely a must if it's more than 4-5 miles). I wouldn't insist everyone do that, but it's a viable option unless you have severe health issues.

HOLA4412

yes, loads more cycling than ever, I know some people might not be able to but far more could if they tried it.

The trick is to have a bike that ideally weighs around 20 pound or less, rather than an old clunker made out of scaffold poles that weighs twice that (or more :o )

an average person on the street could cycle on the flat as fast as Mo Farrah could run 5 miles flat out, once fit.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Yeah, 10 miles round trip is better, but mine would be twice that. No showers at work present a bit of a problem as well and I'd be in a bit of a state after cycling in the rain and snow that we seem to have most of the time in this country.

Safety is the main concern for me. I tried out the 'Boris bike' scheme for a while for the central part of my journey and it was much quicker than the tube or walking, but I didn't feel safe. Funnily enough, it is not the cars & HGVs that caused concern, it was mainly black cab drivers and other cyclists driving/riding unpredictably. I love cycling on the weekends both on and off road, but doing it in central London is just no for me.

So definitely not impossible, but not realistic for a lot of people.

HOLA4415

Here's a tip to cheer you up...

"On behalf on our untrained staff..."

HOLA4416

Yay! I'm a Super-Commuter. Super is probably the last word I'd use for my journey....

20 minute bike ride to station, 1:20 train and 10 minute walk. 4 hours total each day and I've been doing it for 12 years..

Why do I do this ? :-

1) Nearer companies have gone out of business - I had to commute further to get to work with each subsequent position.

2) Jobs are insecure over the long term and moving closer might not be the best option, especially with families/school considerations.

3) Move house when the crash is imminent ? Nope.

4) I cannot afford to live closer to work

5) I like my job.

Of course, given modern technology it is insane to commute this distance everyday. But that is the expectation so that's what I have to do. If you knew what my job was you'd find this extra funny. Well, its either that or cry....

HOLA4417

Yeah, 10 miles round trip is better, but mine would be twice that. No showers at work present a bit of a problem as well and I'd be in a bit of a state after cycling in the rain and snow that we seem to have most of the time in this country.

Safety is the main concern for me. I tried out the 'Boris bike' scheme for a while for the central part of my journey and it was much quicker than the tube or walking, but I didn't feel safe. Funnily enough, it is not the cars & HGVs that caused concern, it was mainly black cab drivers and other cyclists driving/riding unpredictably. I love cycling on the weekends both on and off road, but doing it in central London is just no for me.

So definitely not impossible, but not realistic for a lot of people.

When I first moved to London - the first 3 days of cycling were rather terrifying. But after that I got used to the traffic levels and general madness.

HOLA4418

If you have to drive, there is one simple solution to the utter tedium - get an automatic. Preferably the semi-auto (or "robotised manual") variety like the VAG DSG because that's much easier on the fuel. It amazes me how many people are happy to sit there going up-down up-down on the clutch whilst stuck in traffic for half an hour.

I have to drive to work and getting an automatic was a life saver. It doesn't bother me if I'm not going anywhere fast now - I just put some music on and relax.

The little bit of extra "fun" you get from a manual on an open country road isn't worth the hassle it makes in the daily commute.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Modern auto's are great because you can really blind the person behind you with the ultra bright LED rear brake lights rather than go to the effort of putting the ****ing thing in N.

I approve.

HOLA4421

When I first moved to London, a train/tube journey from Hackney Central BR to South Kensington was one hour or one hour twenty minutes if you missed the overground.

Were talking zone 2/3 travel here. It's not all as rosy in travelling in London as what I first thought.

My commute is now 30 mins min and 45 mins max since I moved to South London.

HOLA4422

Modern auto's are great because you can really blind the person behind you with the ultra bright LED rear brake lights rather than go to the effort of putting the ****ing thing in N.

I approve.

Not quite as clear cut. My Alfa and Audi Q3 both have stop start. The Alfa is a manual do just slip into neutral and engine will switch off. Depress clutch and it starts again

The Q3 will only stop if the foot brake is pressed with the semi auto steptronic gearbox . I don't like it as a biker and IAM member but there seems to be no alternative

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

is it April 1st? There's alot of congestion on the roads. Some roads like the stretch by the dartford crossing on M25 on a Friday afternoon are literally no go areas! In other areas all the school traffic forces many on the motorway to do short hops sometimes quicker to go in the opposite direction to your destination and then double back.

HOLA4425

If you have to drive, there is one simple solution to the utter tedium - get an automatic. Preferably the semi-auto (or "robotised manual") variety like the VAG DSG because that's much easier on the fuel. It amazes me how many people are happy to sit there going up-down up-down on the clutch whilst stuck in traffic for half an hour.

I have to drive to work and getting an automatic was a life saver. It doesn't bother me if I'm not going anywhere fast now - I just put some music on and relax.

The little bit of extra "fun" you get from a manual on an open country road isn't worth the hassle it makes in the daily commute.

Id get a moped if it came to it. I dont fancy arriving somewhere sweaty and smelly like a cyclist, but public transport...