House Price Crash Forum

Rise Of The 'super-Commuter': Number Of Britons Travelling Three Hours Each Day For Work Soars By 50 Per Cent In Five Years

what.posting on here?:-0

Completely arrse-over-tiit. It's not posting on here that is a complete waste of time. How could it be? It is having to read the utter tripe that other people post!

this must shurely lead to an uptick in imputed taxi fares and the sort of GDP bounce the tractor production fairies have been dreaming of.

In economic term commuting is just fixing broken windows, it a vast amount of money that could be being spent much more productively. Personally I have about £350 month less effective disposable income because of the distance I drive to work. If we assume 7p per mile then that equates to roughly 11 billion a year wasted.

In economic term commuting is just fixing broken windows, it a vast amount of money that could be being spent much more productively. Personally I have about £350 month less effective disposable income because of the distance I drive to work. If we assume 7p per mile then that equates to roughly 11 billion a year wasted.

no, thats 11bn in GDP.....we need people to move further away.

I love my commute. All 40 mins of it.

But walking is a bit muddy. So I usually cycle.

Guest unfunded_liability

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2325262/Rise-super-commuter-Number-Britons-travelling-hours-day-work-soars-50-cent-years.html

'The number of ‘super-commuter’ Britons who take 90 minutes to get to work has soared by 50 per cent in the last five years, according to a new report.

90 minutes is a typical journey time from one side of London to the other. A couple of trains, long walks in tunnels, a bus or DLR plus waiting time for all of them. All adds up.

I commute around this time...the main reason....Cost of moving/Buying a house !!!

commuters to London from here have the 20 mins in the car, 55 mins on the train plus the walk/tube London end.

Even driving to the next major Town, Ipswich or Chelmsford, could be 45 minutes in rush our traffic.

Good idea. Perhaps this would help:

mercedes-sv12-r-ibusiness-car-office-solutions%20(2).jpg

Yes but if I had the money to buy one of these to get to work, I'd probably decide I didn't want to, or have to work ;)

I commute around this time...the main reason....Cost of moving/Buying a house !!!

Me too...and if I miss a train or they get mucked up it can very quickly hit 4 hours. The shortest road route reckons about 22miles.

In the last 12 months, I've gone from being a walk-to-work person (20 min a day total door-to-door) to a quasi-supercommuter (160 min a day door-to-door via bike-train-bike). It's been hard to adapt to, and if fact I'm looking to move a little more optimally to get this down to about 130 min a day door-to-door. Anything over about 120 minutes gets too much, probably doubling in difficulty for every 15 minutes beyond the 120 minutes.

It's actually not so bad form me as it was for a while. For 6 months, I worked away from home during the week, staying in cheap hotels in London, and that really was the pits. At least commuting gets me to a stable home life with all my comforts, my own kitchen and wife/support network every day.

I've noticed a few things:

+ The jobs market has forced many people to find work away from where they live. I noticed the late trains on a Thurs/Friday night to Liverpool/Manchester getting very full of people working the week in London.

+ Its actually bad to live so close to work like I did before, or certainly it is for a stressful job. I needed a bit more 'me time' and unwind time than the walk home allowed. Its good to not be that close to your job environment.

+ If you can make commuting 'me time' - reading a favourite book, planning your weekend, doing crosswords etc. - it really helps.

+ You need a seat to make it bearable, and ideally a non 9-5 job - I start later and go home later.

+ I sleep in the mornings - that last bit of half-awake sleep is the most refreshing and valuable.

+ I live in a country setting so it feels nice at wekends - I can dip into country life and city life.

+ When kids arrive, this commuting arrangement will be a pain and put a lot of pressure on the wife.

90 minutes is a typical journey time from one side of London to the other. A couple of trains, long walks in tunnels, a bus or DLR plus waiting time for all of them. All adds up.

It just shows what a small percentage of the total population actually live/work in London. For London commuters, three hours is often quite standard.

I commute in from Surbiton (zone 6) to zone 1 and the train only takes 20 minutes. But by the time I have had the 5 minute walk at either end and then gone down to the tube and another short walk at the end it is up to 45 minutes in total. There are a lot people on the train when I get on who have come from Basingstoke or even further afield.

Plenty of people I know have a 15 minute drive to their local station, 1 hour plus on the train and then the extra half hour mucking about like I do, so that is over 3 hours a day without any delays. There are legions of people in this position.

Guest eight

+ The jobs market has forced many people to find work away from where they live. I noticed the late trains on a Thurs/Friday night to Liverpool/Manchester getting very full of people working the week in London.

+ Its actually bad to live so close to work like I did before, or certainly it is for a stressful job. I needed a bit more 'me time' and unwind time than the walk home allowed. Its good to not be that close to your job environment.

+ If you can make commuting 'me time' - reading a favourite book, planning your weekend, doing crosswords etc. - it really helps.

+ You need a seat to make it bearable, and ideally a non 9-5 job - I start later and go home later.

+ I sleep in the mornings - that last bit of half-awake sleep is the most refreshing and valuable.

+ I live in a country setting so it feels nice at wekends - I can dip into country life and city life.

+ When kids arrive, this commuting arrangement will be a pain and put a lot of pressure on the wife.

Sorry but your existence sounds awful.

If you need a longer walk home from work to switch off then go round the long way!

Me too...and if I miss a train or they get mucked up it can very quickly hit 4 hours. The shortest road route reckons about 22miles.

I often cycle almost exactly that distance into work and back (45 miles total), quickest time one way last year 57 mins10secs. Although average speed slower than this. I couldn't do it every day though. Never had a combined journey more than 2h:45m's though.

Not for most people though i'll admit.

Edited by motch

For London commuters, three hours is often quite standard.

Yep, the average London commute is over an hour each way. Takes extra time to get past the million or so houses in zones 1-3 where the unemployed lie soundly in their beds.

Utter waste of your life

Not if you only have to do it twice a week due to lower housing costs.

I'm at home watching the cricket today and tomorrow.

But Monday i will be up at 5am, then the same on Wednesday. Then 5 days off.

This time last year i was renting in nth London, working extra days to pay rent, and then paying tax on all the extra landlord cash i had earnt.

****** to that.

Wish i'd done this years ago.

I'm earning less, but spending MUCH MUCH less.

Edit: Commuting with all the modern trickery and diversions is actually ok.

Plus I always remember to stick a couple of tinnies in my bag if im doing a late one.

Shot Cookie!! :)

Edited by shindigger

I'm probably a mega-commuter. Eight hours round trip in a day.

But I do it once a week at most - and most of it is on the train (the rest on a bike). I work on the train in the morning, sleep/read/watch stuff and eat dinner on the way back.

Beats existing in London, when I can live in the beautiful countryside around here. The only time I wondered if I'd made the right choice was cycling along a lane in the pitch dark one morning and coming across a flood which came half way up my wheels.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

Wife did her last day commuting on the train. For the first time ever, neither of us are relying on over inflated transport costs to get to work. The Train network has simply priced themselves out of the market. Even travelling to parents I would rather cycle 35 miles each way than hand money over to them. And of cause tandems are a lot of fun :). After 3 years the mortgage will be so small there is no way I can be coerced back into a long commute.

what sort of average speed for the journey?

Around 45 mph.

My wife was commuting into london by train and that was 2 hours from Northampton....the cost was horrendous,

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere