House Price Crash Forum

2K Bathroom Cabinet

HOLA441

I've no idea what you're talking about.

:D

Have had issues with dry skin for much of my life. So i do use moisturiser , not for any poncy reasons !

I like to exfoliate and moisturise on a regular basis :ph34r:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

:D

Have had issues with dry skin for much of my life. So i do use moisturiser , not for any poncy reasons !

I like to exfoliate and moisturise on a regular basis :ph34r:

Don't worry, you're in good company. Nothing wrong with using moisturiser. Just so long as it's not expensive and/or perfumed. You know, manly moisturiser!

No need to justify it ;)

HOLA443

Yes, that's very likely with the 2K number.

One of my old friends is a raving queen and has probably that much or more of cosmetics, and 100's of bottles of designer colognes scattered about his bathroom.

I won't let my woman go mad with duplicate cosmetics and such, I 'guilt' her out of spending willy-nilly on potions and lotions by reminding her that she really doesn't need it because she's attractive to begin with.

I can't see £2k as an average. An average from ultra-consumers who buy every brand of perfume going as your friend does maybe.

In my non-extensive experience of women I'd say about £500 cost but as most of it will have been opened / used so say £250. This may be biased as I won't consider going out with any woman who I regard as high-maintenance (see the delusional scrappers thread for examples).

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Don't worry, you're in good company. Nothing wrong with using moisturiser. Just so long as it's not expensive and/or perfumed. You know, manly moisturiser!

No need to justify it ;)

I use the fresh fat of a hare i have just hunted down with my bare hands.

But sometimes nivea does just fine. :D

HOLA447

I have tried compliments..subtle hints about saving..its all water off a ducks back...there`s too much peer pressure out there..and they believe adverts too..cause they are worth it :huh:

Speaking as an over-indulgent toiletries obsessed "bird", here's a tip. EBAY. This will mean nothing to most of you, so try not to glaze over...among my 2k bathroom accessories, I've got some oxygeniating facial mask (£95 a tube), some diamond peel face scrub (over £100) and various other probably pointless things that make me feel great, but I never ever ever buy anything retail price ever. Ebay is full of cut price toiletries, or rich women that buy things they don't want and flog them off for nothing - steer your lady-friend in that direction.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

The same article could be done about male garages (there's an idea) - all the stuff for people who own nice cars; waxes, oil additives, dashboard wipes, polish, microfibre cloths, Karshar pressure washer etc. 2K. Yup.

HOLA4411

You can't go to cheap though, remember the story last week of the guy burning his genitals with the pound shop shower gel?

I only use the imperial leather shower gel which doubles up as shaving foam too and Johnson's baby shampoo.

HOLA4412

The same article could be done about male garages (there's an idea) - all the stuff for people who own nice cars; waxes, oil additives, dashboard wipes, polish, microfibre cloths, Karshar pressure washer etc. 2K. Yup.

Ssssshhhhh! We're keeping that quiet and pointing at the overpriced conditioner instead.

HOLA4413

Speaking as an over-indulgent toiletries obsessed "bird", here's a tip. EBAY. This will mean nothing to most of you, so try not to glaze over...among my 2k bathroom accessories, I've got some oxygeniating facial mask (£95 a tube), some diamond peel face scrub (over £100) and various other probably pointless things that make me feel great, but I never ever ever buy anything retail price ever. Ebay is full of cut price toiletries, or rich women that buy things they don't want and flog them off for nothing - steer your lady-friend in that direction.

I used my wife's shampoo the other day and asked how much it was as i quite liked it.

She told me "£40".

"Surely you mean £4?" I replied, having never spent more than £1.50 on shampoo.

"No, it's £40." was her reply.

I was using it quite liberally before, but will now restrict myself to a pea~shaped amount each time, which should suffice.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Wow!

Yet again I'm reminded how fortunate I am to have a wife who is both sane and instinctively frugal.

Asda own brand shampoo that we share and we laugh together at her peers who spend a fortune having their toes waxed and bits polished.

I think the only pricey stuff is from Body Shop which the kids buy her as presents.

I am also fortunate in her looking bloody good "undressed" (that's a sort of pun, btw)

HOLA4417

You realise most of that stuff will be fake right?

These huge companies protect their profits, they don't sell stuff cheaply to the retail market. If it's cheap, especially significantly so it's not going to be the same thing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2210884/The-toxic-trade-fake-make-How-counterfeit-cosmetics-containing-dangerous-levels-arsenic-sold-online-unsuspecting-bargain-hunters.html

HOLA4418

I used my wife's shampoo the other day and asked how much it was as i quite liked it.

She told me "£40".

"Surely you mean £4?" I replied, having never spent more than £1.50 on shampoo.

"No, it's £40." was her reply.

I was using it quite liberally before, but will now restrict myself to a pea~shaped amount each time, which should suffice.

same thing happened to me but with Bath Gel. £40 a bottle :huh:

HOLA4419

These huge companies protect their profits, they don't sell stuff cheaply to the retail market. If it's cheap, especially significantly so it's not going to be the same thing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2210884/The-toxic-trade-fake-make-How-counterfeit-cosmetics-containing-dangerous-levels-arsenic-sold-online-unsuspecting-bargain-hunters.html

Bet when you were a kid you told your younger brothers and sisters there was no such person as Father Christmas.

HOLA4420

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2210884/The-toxic-trade-fake-make-How-counterfeit-cosmetics-containing-dangerous-levels-arsenic-sold-online-unsu,specting-bargain-hunters.html

My wife works for a multi-brand cosmetics multinational, she buys their own stuff for between a quarter and half the retail prices, gets (well used to when working full time) 'gift' products throughout the year and even a discount of 20% to a third on products in her store.

I'm sure there's plenty of 'leakage' of genuine stuff to the grey market - yoou just need a trustworthy source. It isnt expensive to make but it is expensive to market.

HOLA4421

My wife works for a multi-brand cosmetics multinational, she buys their own stuff for between a quarter and half the retail prices, gets (well used to when working full time) 'gift' products throughout the year and even a discount of 20% to a third on products in her store.

I'm sure there's plenty of 'leakage' of genuine stuff to the grey market - yoou just need a trustworthy source. It isnt expensive to make but it is expensive to market.

There`s plenty of higher end perfume etc, sold in bargain stores that is genuine. The excess branded goods need to be sold off somewhere and in one respect it suits the pompous and big spenders, including the owners of exclusive stores, to promote the belief that anything cheaper just has to be fake.!

HOLA4422

Oh that's priceless my friend, best laugh I've had in ages.

These products are all as useless or as good as each other - fake or genuine.

If anyone thinks spending £100 on a face pack will make them look any more beautiful than pressing their stupid mug into a freshly-laid dog turd then they are completely and utterly barking mad.

Daft thing is, 12-15 quid will get you a product guaranteed to make ANY woman appear more attractive.

It's called a bottle of whisky...

XYY

HOLA4423

Oh that's priceless my friend, best laugh I've had in ages.

These products are all as useless or as good as each other - fake or genuine.

If anyone thinks spending £100 on a face pack will make them look any more beautiful than pressing their stupid mug into a freshly-laid dog turd then they are completely and utterly barking mad.

Daft thing is, 12-15 quid will get you a product guaranteed to make ANY woman appear more attractive.

It's called a bottle of whisky...

XYY

You need to be telling that to somebody who buys them, not me. It's been shown that there is little to no difference between the top stuff and the rest over and above getting moisture in to the skin. However that is vastly different to rubbing stuff like lead in to your skin which is used in the cheap knock offs.

I never said the original was worth it, just that anything cheap on ebay is likely to be a total rip off, it's not an issue of it not working it's a potential health risk.

I'm sure you were too busy laughing to actually read the article.

Out of ten items of designer make-up we purchased online in the past two weeks, eight were found to be counterfeit when the packaging and the product were compared with the genuine article.

When we asked Staffordshire Scientific Services to test the products using the same methods trading standards officers employ, all the fakes were found to contain a cocktail of potentially harmful ingredients ranging from lead, copper and mercury to arsenic and cadmium, a metal which is highly dangerous.

HOLA4424

There`s plenty of higher end perfume etc, sold in bargain stores that is genuine. The excess branded goods need to be sold off somewhere and in one respect it suits the pompous and big spenders, including the owners of exclusive stores, to promote the belief that anything cheaper just has to be fake.!

Excepted that reaction here.

Fake T-Shirts, Trainers and like are one thing, stuff that goes on or in to your body are something completely different.

As I say above this isn't just a case of some harmless snake-oil and it's not an isolated odd one here or there. Sure there will be some genuine stuff for cheap here or there if you are happy to take the risk for the sake of a few quid and a few trips to the doctors go for it.

The accusation is that the big companies charging lots of big money for big ticket items perpetuate a myth that there are fakes, but it is the reality. There is no point for example making counterfeit KitKat there isn't a lot of profit in that, but if you can make a face creme for 20p and sell it as a £100 one then your potential profit will be massive, that is why those brands are the ones being faked.

Of course retail prices have little correlation to actual cost of manufacture, but that's the way it is these days.

Honestly I couldn't give a toss about some companies profit margins and personally I'd be more than happy to buy fake clothes and like (I'm not the type to by brands particularly anyway), but rubbing arsenic and lead in your face seems a bit of risky strategy to me.

Best answer stick to a cheap basic moisturiser.

HOLA4425

XYY

I knew a guy once (considered himself a hard man) who thought that the facepacks his girlfriend made from cucumber and various other chemical ingredients and that she kept in the fridge, were infact spreads to be slapped on bread and eaten after a night out on the town.

She never had the heart to tell him, although she told everyone else...

Archived