African Ghost Cities

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

China thinks strategically. When Guangdong becomes priced out of the cheap labour market I would not be the least surprised if Chinese capital switched production to the coast of Africa. Looks like they already have the infrastructure....

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I love this section from the BBC story:-

"However, Paulo Cascao, general Manager at Delta Imobiliaria, the real estate agency handling the sales, told the BBC that the problem was not the price, but difficulty in accessing bank credit.

"The prices are correct for the quality of the apartments and for all the conditions that the city can offer," he said.

“There is no middle class in Angola, just the very poor and the very rich, and so there is no-one to buy these sorts of houses”

"The sales are going slowly due to the difficulty in obtaining mortgages."

A new legal frame work has recently been introduced to allow local banks to give mortgages, but for the majority of Angolans, even the few with well-paid office jobs, just finding enough cash for a deposit would be a struggle."

Sounds familiar to the bulls argument we hear in the UK.

HOLA4412

I love this section from the BBC story:-

"However, Paulo Cascao, general Manager at Delta Imobiliaria, the real estate agency handling the sales, told the BBC that the problem was not the price, but difficulty in accessing bank credit.

"The prices are correct for the quality of the apartments and for all the conditions that the city can offer," he said.

“There is no middle class in Angola, just the very poor and the very rich, and so there is no-one to buy these sorts of houses

"The sales are going slowly due to the difficulty in obtaining mortgages."

A new legal frame work has recently been introduced to allow local banks to give mortgages, but for the majority of Angolans, even the few with well-paid office jobs, just finding enough cash for a deposit would be a struggle."

Sounds familiar to the bulls argument we hear in the UK.

I think calling it an 'argument' gives it undeserved credibility. Its illogical psychobabble.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

When I was down in Luanda I was told they were using Chinese prisoners to build a downtown skyscraper. I wasn't sure whether this was true or just their version of the asian labour seen in the Middle East, though there's probably not much difference.

HOLA4415

Holy s**t.

The Chinese model of GDP growth by means of just building stuff. Unbelievable.

They did this before under Mao, they wanted to be seen as a major economic power so decided to become a leading iron and steel producer. Cue the creation of loads of pointless plants all over producing poor quality metal that nobody wanted, but it got them up the iron and steel producer rankings.

HOLA4416

100k or so for a crappy flat in africa?

this is complete madness, did no one think to ask who could buy these before building a million of them.

at they prices manufacturing will be coming back to europe and usa quicker than we think.

HOLA4417

100k or so for a crappy flat in africa?

this is complete madness, did no one think to ask who could buy these before building a million of them.

at they prices manufacturing will be coming back to europe and usa quicker than we think.

Chinese Timeshare apartments? rolleyes.gif

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Holy s**t.

The Chinese model of GDP growth by means of just building stuff. Unbelievable.

There has to be some sort of logic or plan behind this.

I wonder are they planning to locate large amounts of their own citizens to areas of the World where they have big economic interests, a sort of neo-colonialism?

HOLA4420

Do armed guards protect these buildings?

How long before they just become very expensive slums.

So now they just need the jobs where the people of Angola can afford to buy these new built rabbit hutches?

They seem to be making the same mistakes made in the UK in the 60/70's. Don't build out, build up....

Now I know many African countries are money poor, but surely to God they're land rich!

HOLA4421

Can I coin the phrase "Globalisation velocity"?

It looks like the Chinese are delocalising even before their own bubble has burst. That cycle is getting quicker all the time.

This was my thought.

Good luck getting the Angolans to adopt a Chinese work ethic though.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

The Chinese are suffering from a major cargo cult delusion. They've looked at the west and seen that housing makes you rich ergo they build housing. They have 64 million unsold luxury appts in China just waiting for rich people to turn up and buy them. They are trying to leap frog the industrial revolution, where people get rich first, then buy big houses. :rolleyes: