Iggy

HOLA441
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

A little bit of movie trivia.

Hombre is basically a remake of which earlier Western?

Which actor was in both films? (Clue: Same part was basically played each time)

Give up ! It's not on IMBD ? Looks like a good film.

I've just watched Confessions of a Dangerous Mind which is an interesting film. Not sure how much of it is true. Clooney directed this and his role as a CIA agent is solid. Drew Barrymore is hot as always,I like her. Great end scene with Julia Roberts.

Also started watching Insidious but haven't finished yet. This is an above average horror that doesn't take itself too seriously. I liked the injection of humour midpoint (no spoilers from me). Rose Byrne is very good as the troubled mother. Worth a look.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

A little bit of movie trivia.

Hombre is basically a remake of which earlier Western?

Which actor was in both films? (Clue: Same part was basically played each time)

I'm calling shenanigans.

Hombre is sort of a remake of Stagecoach with a bit of Broken Arrow chucked in. I can't come up with any shared actors though.

Richard Boone and Martin Balsam played the same part in pretty much every film they were in.

HOLA447

Not a great lover of films so not seen that many but out of the ones I have managed to sit though to the end, always a good sign was: ;)

Pan's Labyrinth.

Wizard of Oz.

Gone with the Wind.

Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

HOLA448

Summer Of Sam

Not a favourite film but its above average and one worth watching if you are sweltering at home!

Plot - Spike Lee's take on the "Son of Sam" murders in New York City during the summer of 1977 centering on the residents of an Italian-American South Bronx neighborhood who live in fear and distrust of one another.

HOLA449

I'm calling shenanigans.

Hombre is sort of a remake of Stagecoach with a bit of Broken Arrow chucked in. I can't come up with any shared actors though.

Richard Boone and Martin Balsam played the same part in pretty much every film they were in.

Quiz answer:

You were half right getting the actor - Richard Boone, but you had the wrong film.

Hombre is basically a remake of a film called 'The Tall T' which was one of the many Westerns where Randolph Scott was the lead actor/hero.

In 'The Tall T' Richard Boone plays the leader of a gang who hijack a stage-coach and hold a woman for ransom. In 'Hombre' Richard Boone plays the leader of a gang who hijack a stage-coach for money but end up holding one of the female passengers hostage in order to get the money.

HOLA4410

Next Movie Trivia quiz.

In which well-known film did one of the lead actors unintentionally fall over during one of his scenes but the Director thought it was so funny that he kept it in?

Clue: The film mentioned a fictional plan to mind-control people using fluridisation in the water supply - alas, millions now believe that there is indeed some government conspiracy involving fluridisation unaware that originally it just was a few lines in a film script.

HOLA4411

Next Movie Trivia quiz.

In which well-known film did one of the lead actors unintentionally fall over during one of his scenes but the Director thought it was so funny that he kept it in?

Clue: The film mentioned a fictional plan to mind-control people using fluridisation in the water supply - alas, millions now believe that there is indeed some government conspiracy involving fluridisation unaware that originally it just was a few lines in a film script.

'Out There' Fluoride conspiracy theories pre-date Dr Strangelove by almost 20 years*. Ethical and toxicological concerns longer than that.

* 25 years plus if you trace the conspiracy theories back through to rumours about the British Army lacing soldiers' tea with bromine (another halogen element)

HOLA4412

Bonus question: Which other groovy 1960s movie associated concerns about fluoridation with insanity?

Clue: The film features the line 'An actor? As president?'

Second Clue, and practically giving it away: The fluoride nut in the movie I'm thinking of was played by the actor on the right of this photo...

302b0b6.jpg

HOLA4413

Bonus question: Which other groovy 1960s movie associated concerns about fluoridation with insanity?

Clue: The film features the line 'An actor? As president?'

Second Clue, and practically giving it away: The fluoride nut in the movie I'm thinking of was played by the actor on the right of this photo...

302b0b6.jpg

I'll let another off topicer get in on this first.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The trouble with really great movies, they are like really great songs......you get bored with them and then suddenly you find yourself attracted to the dross on the album. I am thinking the Shining and Wicker Man a great the second, third and fourth viewing but by then you have had your fill.

Meanwhile the cult stuff, that were originally turkeys, I can find myself watching over and over again....so the turkey twizzlers are:-

Ghost Story (UK)

Harold and Maude (US) (80 year old woman " marries " teenager and Bud Cort and Ruth Gordon are just bloody brilliant to boot)

Hair (US) (simply the weirdest choreography you will ever see)

Silent Night Bloody Night (US) ( brilliantly terrible)

The Haunting (US) (at least that ones a mainstream classic)

Saw the above terrible movie for the first time on Sunday morning when I was looking for the weather on text BBC2, never even heard of it. Deliciously bad, must get a copy from amazon, who knows it might get into my top 5. Don't you just love Clacton on Sea circa 1965.

And some clips from Hair (to the fifth Dimension soundtrack)

HOLA4417

The trouble with really great movies, they are like really great songs......you get bored with them and then suddenly you find yourself attracted to the dross on the album. I am thinking the Shining and Wicker Man as great the second, third and fourth viewing but by then you have had your fill.

Meanwhile the cult stuff, that were originally turkeys, I can find myself watching over and over again....so the turkey twizzlers are:-

Ghost Story (UK)

Harold and Maude (US) (80 year old woman bangs teenager and Bud Cort and Ruth Gordon are just bloody brilliant to boot)

Hair (US) (simply the weirdest choreography you will ever see)

Silent Night Bloody Night (US) ( brilliantly terrible)

The Haunting (US) (at least that ones a mainstream classic)

There's no such thing as too much Wicker Man in my book but, yes, twizzlers. The original Predator is one of mine. I sometimes put it on whilst doing something around the house, like I would a music album.

HOLA4418

The trouble with really great movies, they are like really great songs......you get bored with them and then suddenly you find yourself attracted to the dross on the album. I am thinking the Shining and Wicker Man as great the second, third and fourth viewing but by then you have had your fill.

Some films are just only good once. I loved the Lord of the Rings films in the cinema. Bought the DVDs, but have never watched a single one to the end. So slooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. More so with anytrhing that has a big reveal near the end like the Wicker Man, or the Usual Suspects.

5 favourite films that haven't cropped up much in the thread so far:

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Leon

True Romance

Serenity

12 Monkees (worth it just to see Bruce Willis play a different character)

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Some films are just only good once. I loved the Lord of the Rings films in the cinema. Bought the DVDs, but have never watched a single one to the end. So slooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. More so with anytrhing that has a big reveal near the end like the Wicker Man, or the Usual Suspects.

I watched through them when the DVDs came out (and most of the commentaries). That was probably long enough ago that I could re-watch them now. Better than The Hobbit at any rate, I stopped that one and picked it up the next day for my first viewing, which is a massive failure of keeping my interest.

Leon

True Romance

Serenity

Bruce Willis in 12 Monkeys was a real surprise, hats off to him for his perfomance there.

Serenity is probably a favourite but not best (mind you the thread title is favourite - actually it's favorite, hope someone has already had a moan about that). It probably wouldn't be there if it wasn't for Firefly.

HOLA4421

Serenity is probably a favourite but not best (mind you the thread title is favourite - actually it's favorite, hope someone has already had a moan about that). It probably wouldn't be there if it wasn't for Firefly.

Maybe, I wouldn't know, I watch everything Joss Whedon makes. People who liked it generally LOVED it. Film of the year awards from Film 2005 and FilmFocus, SFX magazine's best sci-fi movie of all time.

HOLA4422

Leon

True Romance

Serenity

True Romance is No.1 for me. Thing with fav films is they don't need to be the best shot, acted, scripted, it's just something that clicks with you. True Romance was Quentin Taratino's script (prob rejected by Hollywood before the success of Res Dogs and it was dug out of the bin again). Tony Scott did an awesome job directing and casting it, he knew exactly how Tarantino visualised it. The script was so good I doubt many said no. Christian Slater, Patricia Arquette, Brad Pitt, Dennis Hopper, Val Kilmer, Gary Oldman, Saul Rubinek, Bronson Pinchot, Christopher Walken, Samuel Jackson, James Gandolfini, Chris Penn... So many amazing scenes hard to know where to start. Gandolfini and Arquette in the hotel/bathroom fight stands out.

HOLA4423

True Romance is No.1 for me. Thing with fav films is they don't need to be the best shot, acted, scripted, it's just something that clicks with you. True Romance was Quentin Taratino's script (prob rejected by Hollywood before the success of Res Dogs and it was dug out of the bin again). Tony Scott did an awesome job directing and casting it, he knew exactly how Tarantino visualised it. The script was so good I doubt many said no. Christian Slater, Patricia Arquette, Brad Pitt, Dennis Hopper, Val Kilmer, Gary Oldman, Saul Rubinek, Bronson Pinchot, Christopher Walken, Samuel Jackson, James Gandolfini, Chris Penn... So many amazing scenes hard to know where to start. Gandolfini and Arquette in the hotel/bathroom fight stands out.

That's a great scene, but Hopper and Walken on the the pantomimes of lying is the standout section for me.

HOLA4424

Maybe, I wouldn't know, I watch everything Joss Whedon makes. People who liked it generally LOVED it. Film of the year awards from Film 2005 and FilmFocus, SFX magazine's best sci-fi movie of all time.

When I showed it to my cousin I think he liked it but he admitted to be completely freaked out by River.

HOLA4425

Archived