House Price Crash Forum

Preston Town Centre

HOLA441

Went into Preston (Lancashire) town centre yesterday. All I can say is retail must be utter carnage at the minute. Down the main street, and in the main shopping centre, it's almost 1 in 3 shops shut. Interestingly, a lot of it is belated consolidation (Early Learning Centre closed to move into BHS I think, H Samuel has closed one of its 2 branches that were only 5 mins walk apart etc). When Game goes bust, that wil leave another 3 empty units.

If this is the future for this North West town, then house prices are going to collapse. Funny how Labours economic legacy has been to trash the kind of towns and cities that their core voters reside in.

HOLA442

Went into Preston (Lancashire) town centre yesterday. All I can say is retail must be utter carnage at the minute. Down the main street, and in the main shopping centre, it's almost 1 in 3 shops shut. Interestingly, a lot of it is belated consolidation (Early Learning Centre closed to move into BHS I think, H Samuel has closed one of its 2 branches that were only 5 mins walk apart etc). When Game goes bust, that wil leave another 3 empty units.

If this is the future for this North West town, then house prices are going to collapse. Funny how Labours economic legacy has been to trash the kind of towns and cities that their core voters reside in.

We met a couple from Preston while on holiday a couple of years ago. They said they had lived there all their lives and the place wasn't what it was. They had sold their car because they didn't want to go into the town centre anymore and now just got all their shopping via supermarket home delivery. He booked a slot in advance then edited it every day when they thought of anything they needed. It sounded like being prisoners in their own home.

HOLA443

I think that is a vision of the future you have right there.

Yes it is because more and more people won't be able to afford a car even if they wanted to go into town. With car prices, fuel, insurance, etc lots of people have already bought their last car but just don't realise it yet.

Why are the opening all these supermarkets though? Morrisons are opening one where we are and they have others 5 miles West, 7 miles East and 10 miles South. The new one will just reduce sales at the others. Surely there comes a time when they stop opening and start closing more and just do home deliveries from central depots?

HOLA444

Town centres have become places of leisure.. somewhere to go for a coffee when you're bored at the weekend.

For practicality supermarkets offer the consumer a far better experience.. free easy parking, competitive pricing, fast service and everything they are likely to need to a typical weekly/monthly shop.

The only reason I can see for town centres returning to glory is when we become so poor that none of us can afford to drive a car any more.

Until then (unless councils manage to make town centres much more consumer friendly) supermarkets will continue to gain popularity.

Edited by libspero

HOLA445
HOLA446

Funny you should post this now, I don't go out shopping myself (except supermarkets!) but had the misfortune of having to go into Southport yesterday to pick up some gifts. The high street there was pretty much as you have described, many empty units, I can't say what was there as it's been a while since I was last there, I noticed a big shoe shop gone and what used to be a Burton, obviously the Woolworths closed a while ago but that now seems to be a British Heart Foundation store.

So what is there? Dixons, Boots, M&S, WHSmith, HMV, Wilko, fast food, bookies, charity shops and lots of phone shops.

In and out as quick as I could.

HOLA447

We met a couple from Preston while on holiday a couple of years ago. They said they had lived there all their lives and the place wasn't what it was. They had sold their car because they didn't want to go into the town centre anymore and now just got all their shopping via supermarket home delivery. He booked a slot in advance then edited it every day when they thought of anything they needed. It sounded like being prisoners in their own home.

Or how to get rid of all the stale bread.

HOLA448

I guess Bill Hicks was right again.

In the future, all we will see on the road is Pizza delivery vans (or their cheaper supermarket own brand ) firing Pizzas through peoples letter boxes...

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA449

Yes it is because more and more people won't be able to afford a car even if they wanted to go into town. With car prices, fuel, insurance, etc lots of people have already bought their last car but just don't realise it yet.

Why are the opening all these supermarkets though? Morrisons are opening one where we are and they have others 5 miles West, 7 miles East and 10 miles South. The new one will just reduce sales at the others. Surely there comes a time when they stop opening and start closing more and just do home deliveries from central depots?

It's so no matter what direction you drive in they've got you.

Should be good for confused pensioners.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Tesco have put expansion plans for their big warehouses for non food on hold. Morrison have announced plans to get into that market with an internet only play.

Comet and others like them are dead.

I've bought two electrical gizmo's since xmas - a compact camera and a breadmaker. I may buy a new TV in te next few months. I research the goods online, read the customer and pro reviews and comparisons. Then look for the best price from a reputable retailer, order online and and have it delivered.

The idea of trekking around Comet or Dixons on my weekend days off, and having hair gelled sales geeks trying to flog me overpriced 5 year warranties and crap credit terms is why I will mostly buy online.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I've bought two electrical gizmo's since xmas - a compact camera and a breadmaker. I may buy a new TV in te next few months. I research the goods online, read the customer and pro reviews and comparisons. Then look for the best price from a reputable retailer, order online and and have it delivered.

The idea of trekking around Comet or Dixons on my weekend days off, and having hair gelled sales geeks trying to flog me overpriced 5 year warranties and crap credit terms is why I will mostly buy online.

Breadmaker!.....I donated mine to a charity shop yonks ago......make a weeks bread in one batch in the oven four large loves at a time....tastes, looks and the cost is so much better.

Two of our local market towns have a supermarket right next door to the busy town centre, both have a popular outdoors market that sells fresh seasonal fruit and veg, rolls of material, plants etc and good butchers, fishmonger, shoe repairer etc.... the parking is free and having a choice of shopping that appeals to most people increases both the footflow to the supermarkets and the local shops and businesses....best of both/all worlds. ;)

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Think of it as liberation from boring shopping. Was it ever a good experience?

The problem with online selling from a retailers perspective is the lack of upsell opportunity, or from browsing. You just tend buy what you need.

And just wait till 3D printers and home replicators come in. You'll be downloading your own designs from Argos and manufacturing your own tat in no time.

Edited by "Steed"

HOLA4422

horrible suspicion you are onto something here.......reasons;

relentless drive to roll out broadband - it ain't for PPV TV, more like monitoring, electronic home working

relentless ICT ed in schools - let the chavs play games & get edukated & Kompooter literate

I wonder when it's becomes watch list time if your not connected ?

HOLA4423

it's not the end of the world...the car thing that is

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=india+5+on+a+bike&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1024&bih=605&tbm=isch&tbnid=PmDLj_JRoD6mgM:&imgrefurl=http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-photo/glassmerchant/1/1288963262/sikh-family-5-to-a-bike.jpg/tpod.html&docid=lph5f448o1_DhM&imgurl=http://images.travelpod.com/users/glassmerchant/1.1288963262.sikh-family-5-to-a-bike.jpg&w=550&h=413&ei=3ulcT5qbMYjM0QXNu7S1DQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=656&sig=103610349381112388701&page=1&tbnh=127&tbnw=190&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0&tx=49&ty=86

Edited by concerned_money

HOLA4424

it's not the end of the world...the car thing that is

Who says people couldn't share one car between them, split the costs......many a time I have seen people with two shopping lists in supermarkets shopping for others....there are certain items you would never buy online like meat, fish and fruit and veg......who would trust a supermarket to do that for them, I certainly wouldn't, a can of beans maybe. ;)

HOLA4425

Who says people couldn't share one car between them, split the costs......many a time I have seen people with two shopping lists in supermarkets shopping for others....there are certain items you would never buy online like meat, fish and fruit and veg......who would trust a supermarket to do that for them, I certainly wouldn't, a can of beans maybe. ;)

Buying meat/fruit and veg online is fine.

Plus you save the cost of the fuel to the supermarket and save the environment. It's win win.