House Price Crash Forum

Starbucks To Open 300 New Outlets, 5000 New Jobs In Uk

HOLA441

A latte is much cheaper than a pint of lager in the pub.

One of the joys of living in England was to spend a lot of day time in the Pub during a recession. Never a dull moment!

Of course it's all different now. It doesn't feel like a Country or community - more a holding camp.

It does raise one question; Where on Earth do the doleys get their knock off ciggies, booze, blu-rays or decoder boxes from these days?

I get the feeling that independent shops are blatantly selling this stuff nowadays. And why not? We are all in it together! :lol:

Nail on head. You still occasionally come across banter in pubs, but very little compared to the old days. I put it down to the layout in Wetherspoons - not easy or common to just stand at the bar and chat to other customers.

As for knock-off stuff - you still get the local fences, just you have to find the local boozers (as opposed to the disco-bars and metro-gastro-poncey pubs).

HOLA442

Much as I dislike this type of coffee shop (overpriced, takes an eternity to get served, coffee is often lousy) I think I can see their growth market. A lot of mobile, work from home biz customers like to meet somewhere like Starbucks. They get wi-fi internet, a comfortable safe environment to meet clients or colleagues, and all for just the price of a coffee. Housewife groups also seem to enjoy meeting there. I think it's taking the place of the pub as the preferred daytime meetup location.

I think you are bang on. Next the people in this thread will be arguing that we should close all pubs, why pay up to £4 for a beer in a pub when you can get a whole case for a tenner in the supermarket. Actually, that's a good question, who does still go to pubs? Apart from the odd work related drink, where the boss gets the round in, I stay pretty clear these days. I was charged £4.80 in one City pub over summer.

So yeah, if given the choice between Greggs, a pub or a coffee shop.... I don't think the latter is so crazy.

HOLA443

So yeah, if given the choice between Greggs, a pub or a coffee shop.... I don't think the latter is so crazy.

It all depends. Often the pub is the only place in a village where one can order a decent sit-down lunch (on Sundays or other days). Hence most pubs moving towards serving decent meals to bring punters in. AFAIK Greggs don't do sit-down, and coffee shops don't do fish & chips. Harry Ramsdens don't do nice beer (or do they? who cares). Even Wetherspoons offers really good value meals for a quick meal whilst on the move. Even in London.

Plus, the other day I drove by a pub in Bristol centre offering pints at <£2. I was so surprised I nearly rear-ended another car. The punters hanging around outside smoking were quite a good deterrent though.

In a way, I'm glad that this country is so prosperous that we can all afford to spend our time lounging around in "upmarket" coffee houses. :D

HOLA444

I saw an episode of the Simpsons a while ago in which a monster attacked a Starbucks and the customers ran screaming into the street- across the road and into a another Starbucks and carried on drinking their coffee.

So some kind of saturation point has been reached- at least culturally- I thought this was a red light for the company when I saw it.

In Uxbridge there is a large Starbucks in which you can sit and wave at the customers of a Starbucks vendor serving from a hut with four tables outside it- about a 100 feet away! So on a cold day you can sit inside and ponder why the idiots across the road are paying the same price as you are to sit outside in freezing metal chairs trying to stop their coffee blowing away. :unsure:

HOLA445

Of course it's all different now. It doesn't feel like a Country or community - more a holding camp.

:lol:

I saw an episode of the Simpsons a while ago in which a monster attacked a Starbucks and the customers ran screaming into the street- across the road and into a another Starbucks and carried on drinking their coffee.

So some kind of saturation point has been reached- at least culturally- I thought this was a red light for the company when I saw it.

In Uxbridge there is a large Starbucks in which you can sit and wave at the customers of a Starbucks vendor serving from a hut with four tables outside it- about a 100 feet away! So on a cold day you can sit inside and ponder why the idiots across the road are paying the same price as you are to sit outside in freezing metal chairs trying to stop their coffee blowing away. :unsure:

Yes I've seen that Simpsons episode, and how true

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Walking around with a small £2.50 cardboard bucket of branded coffe also seems to be deemed cool and aspirational with many of the 20 somethings I work with. Even though there's free instant and ground coffe available at work.

Held at tit height whilst walking down the street?

Anyway, we all know who these jobs are going to end up going to.

God Bless the EU!

HOLA449

I think you are bang on. Next the people in this thread will be arguing that we should close all pubs, why pay up to £4 for a beer in a pub when you can get a whole case for a tenner in the supermarket. Actually, that's a good question, who does still go to pubs? Apart from the odd work related drink, where the boss gets the round in, I stay pretty clear these days. I was charged £4.80 in one City pub over summer.

I frequent pubs regularly - but then in Shropshire we don't pay more than £2.50 or so for a pint of good, local ale.

There are decent pubs out there with (fairly) cheap beer. Pick up a copy of CAMRA's Good Beer Guide.

Unless of course you're a lager lout! :P

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The truth is out - they do serve up weak coffee!

Research from Glasgow University has found that the level of caffeine in shop-bought coffee varies widely, with some outlets selling espresso containing six times the caffeine found in others. One Glasgow shop was selling espresso shots with 322mg of caffeine in it, which sounds like something you'd drink on a dare. Guess whose coffee came bottom, with just 51mg per serving? That's right: Starbucks.

Could it be it's intentional?

So in these uncertain times, we're actually making Starbucks rich by paying more for weaker coffee. I think I understand this. I once worked at a coffee shop, and I served the same old man a single cup of coffee every day for two years. One day I gave him decaf by mistake – actually I couldn't be arsed to make a new pot of regular – and didn't tell him. He failed to notice, drank it without complaint and left.

That afternoon, for the first and only time, he came back for a second cup. Unfortunately I was only 20 at the time, and consequently too stupid to realise I'd invented a world-beating business model.

Lapping up the lattes

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Am I the only person left in the UK who hasn't had a Starbuck's coffee?

You're not missing anything.

I only drink in Starbucks, Costa or Caffe Nero if someone else is paying. My preference if I'm feeling prosperous is for an independent locally owned place with waitress service because I cannot be arsed standing in line for my coffee like a schmuck; failing that, Wetherspoons usually do a decent and very good value coffee, have free Wifi and there's almost always a seat near a plug-socket.

The coffee from McDonalds is actually not bad either.

Edited by Diver Dan

HOLA4416

I don't drink coffee at all - think I've had it twice in the last 5-6 years.

Tea, beer and (very occasionally) hot chocolate. That's all a real Englishman needs... ;)

"I don't drink coffee I take tea my dear"

I love coffee but have switched to tea. I got the feeling that coffee and me just didn't get along.

HOLA4417

Am I the only person left in the UK who hasn't had a Starbuck's coffee?

I've been in twice, not of my own choice. Very expensive. I got those mint frappucinno (don't even know how to spell it) things... tasted ok, mind. Still a rip-off. Felt totally out-of-place due to complete posers hanging out with their apple devices talking b@llox and looking cool. I'm too real for that, man... I'm TOO REAL!

EDIT - actually a THIRD time I got one of those mint drinks again... and I STOOD there for 3-4 minutes with the money for the drink in my hand, holding the drink and looking at the guy serving as if to motion to pay.... nothing. In the end I turned around and walked with a free drink (oops!). Just too frenetic in there.

Edited by guitarman001

HOLA4418

This is good news for me as I will have more places to work from

Here is the deal. I run an online business so instead of staying in the house, using my wifi, spending on heating and being completely on my own (not fun!) I head out to Costa, Starbucks etc and use their free wifi, heating and get to gorp at pretty girls etc all for the price of a black coffee (usually £1 in starbucks as I get a money off with a starbucks card).

They even give me free drinking water and the staff come over and chat now again.

I wouldn't ever do this is an independent coffee shop, usually the owner works there and gets grumpy if you sit there with one coffee for hours on end, and I don't blame them, but I have no such guilt doing it to the big boys.

Starbucks lattes: hot milk!

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

This is good news for me as I will have more places to work from

Here is the deal. I run an online business so instead of staying in the house, using my wifi, spending on heating and being completely on my own (not fun!) I head out to Costa, Starbucks etc and use their free wifi, heating and get to gorp at pretty girls etc all for the price of a black coffee

How do you go on for power outlets (I've never been in one of these places).

Does the wifi last all day?

HOLA4421

How do you go on for power outlets (I've never been in one of these places).

Does the wifi last all day?

I use my Samsung NC10 netbook and the battery lasts +8 hours, even with music playing, and I usually carry a spare battery but have never had to use it.

The places I go the free wifi lasts all day too, no restrictions, and if it's down I just turn my mobile into a secured hotspot and use the 3G so never offline.

I don't sit in these places all day, tend to work from home in morning and then head out for lunch and afternoon in coffee shops. I live in a big city so I don't go to the same ones all the time. The people that work in these places are students generally and don't care if you sit there all day, like I said, some of them are friendly and come over and chat now and again which is cool.

I did rent a desk in a shared office but no one else use to ever be there so I was just sat on my which defeated the object!

Coffee shops provide me with a very cost-effective solution :)

One thing I have noticed over the 5 years I have been doing this is that there seems to be more and more people like me doing this, having meetings etc in these places.