House Price Crash Forum

Game in Trouble

HOLA441

1000-1500 sqFt is £140,000 PA+50K rates in centreMK, and guess what , due to game's buying sprees they have 3 of them! Two within spitting distance of each other, the other 50 metres away.

It soon adds up.

With that many in proximity I'd be surprised if leases haven't expired and they've remained on soft deals.

That's probably what agents are optimistically marketing new leases at but existing tenants will be at different points in the rent review cycle and most likely on lower rents. Assuming they were on such terms (£35k+vat/quarter) in centreMK that would average down to a lot less as somewhere like Swindon town centre they'd be paying nowhere near as much.

I know the UK retail market and typical rents very well £20m is the most I could conceivably see their quarterly rent bill being on 600 stores of their size.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

snip

If I'm wrong they're in dire need of a pre-pack to wring much, much softer deals out of landlords.

sounds like a fraud.

Isnt that a classic Mafia trick...run up your credit, sell the goods cheaper than anyone else, rinse and repeat till the money is gone....?

HOLA444

Are they inclduing the international stores?

Wouldn't have thought so as the rent quarterly in advance on commercial leases is typically a UK only thing that goes back to medieval times. This is a big cashflow pinchpoint at the end of this month that is what is believed will almost certainly tip Game into insolvency.

HOLA445

sounds like a fraud.

Isnt that a classic Mafia trick...run up your credit, sell the goods cheaper than anyone else, rinse and repeat till the money is gone....?

No, not at all fraudulent.

Commercial Landlords should not really find themselves in a position of losing significant sums in rent arrears during a business administration given the exceptional arsenal of legal remedy available to them compared with say trade creditors. If they do it simply means they don't think they could easily re-let at the same high rent if they re-entered and that's no-one elses fault and an inherent risk of property speculation.

If a retail chain falls into administration it has the effect of terminating existing leases and terms can then be renegotiated. These terms may simply be to pay the business rates - the landlord has two choices either accept or decline - at this stage in the game most know if they let the existing tenant go the best they could end up with B&M Stores/Poundland/99p Stores or worst case a charity shop or void.

Lease renogotiation is no different after administration than normal except it occurs all at once. If I have a lease expire currently I would not consider renewing it without any major concessions in both rent figure and terms

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Was tempted to buy X-Plane yesterday, £60 when it hit their shelves a week or two ago, down to £45, but I needed time to check out the reviews. So I have a few days.

I'm going to miss them when they go (or rather what they used to be - nearly everything I want now has moved to on-line sales.)

HOLA449

"Fears for the future of retailer Game have intensified after its shares were suspended and it admitted the business has no value."

"It has been reported that Game faces a £21m rent payment on Sunday and a £12m wage bill at the end of the month. It also owes more than £10m in VAT and £40m to suppliers. A new investor would have to pay up to £100m to Game's banks."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/mar/21/game-group-shares-suspended

I don't think they're the only UK highstreet business that has no value, quite a few more will have to bare their soul before 2012 is out.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

"Fears for the future of retailer Game have intensified after its shares were suspended and it admitted the business has no value."

"It has been reported that Game faces a £21m rent payment on Sunday and a £12m wage bill at the end of the month. It also owes more than £10m in VAT and £40m to suppliers. A new investor would have to pay up to £100m to Game's banks."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/mar/21/game-group-shares-suspended

I don't think they're the only UK highstreet business that has no value, quite a few more will have to bare their soul before 2012 is out.

+1

There's an article on it, linked from your links page re:.deloitte report.

Up to 40% of high street shops 'could close over next five years'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/mar/20/high-street-shops-close-deloitte

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA4412

Forgive me for not reading all this thread, but I assume that there must be a chunky debt in there somewhere? Whenever I observe Game (there are 2 in MK), there always seem to be quite a few people in there, and a number of them actually parting with money. Which is more than can be said for quite a few other retailers.

Peter.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9157253/Game-Group-heads-for-pre-pack-administration-shares-suspended.html

Game Group – the video games retailer – is preparing for a pre-pack administration that will see the company slim down to just 300 out of 1,300 stores.

So 1000 stores are going to close, more empty shops for the high street.

HOLA4415

Forgive me for not reading all this thread, but I assume that there must be a chunky debt in there somewhere? Whenever I observe Game (there are 2 in MK), there always seem to be quite a few people in there, and a number of them actually parting with money. Which is more than can be said for quite a few other retailers.

Peter.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9157253/Game-Group-heads-for-pre-pack-administration-shares-suspended.html

The proposal tabled by OpCapita offered to settle the debts with lenders – led by Royal Bank of Scotland, as well as £40m of debts outstanding to suppliers.

RBS is owed more than £45m with Barclays and HSBC are amongst several lenders believed to be owed around £30m each.

Game needs to raise around £180m in time for its 25 March quarterly rent bill.

It just needs a few quid that's all.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

http://uk.games.ign.com/articles/122/1221258p1.html

and there is it

Following this morning's news that GAME's shares have been frozen on the London Stock Exchange, the firm has now announced its intention to go into administration.

Below is GAME's statement to shareholders:

"Further to this morning's announcement of the suspension of trading in shares of GAME Group plc, the board has concluded that its discussions with all stakeholders and other parties have not made sufficient progress in the time available to offer a realistic prospect for a solvent solution for the business. The board has therefore today filed a notice of intention to appoint an administrator."

What does this mean? It means that the company is in dire, dire straits, though the stores will stay open in the immediate term whilst administrators try to determine the future of the company - whether that's refinancing or, potentially, closure. Ultimately, an administrator's goal is to keep the company trading, but there's no knowing what form GAME could be in at the end of it.

We're currently investigating what implications for GAME and Gamestation staff. Hang in there, guys.

More news as we get it.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Blueshore acquired 9% of the shares a day before administration. Are they on the inside? Or just made a bad call?

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/blueshore-urges-fair-and-just-administration-for-game/093142

Blueshore urges "fair and just" administration for GAME

The value of GAME’s assets needs to be reassessed to ensure that shareholders receive a rightful return on their investment, Blueshore Global has told MCV.

Having acquired new stock in the retailer yesterday before its filing for administration and stock freeze this morning, the company – which owns nine per cent of GAME – has expressed reservations about the upcoming period for the retailer.

“We were always prepared for the possibility of administration. We are though a little puzzled that the Board thinks there’s no equity value. We humbly disagree,” Blueshore boss Harsha Gowda told MCV.

“The company reported earlier in the year that their credit line was reduced not increased as reported in the media. GAME clearly stated in February that they will 'operate within lower limits of its existing facilities than was previously available'."

Gowda says that Blueshore was still acquiring GAME stock as recently as yesterday as the value of its raw assets have been misunderstood by the markets.

“The media has discussed the cost of all liabilities without mentioning the value of the assets such as inventory,” he added. “We believe, as per the financial statements, the value of these assets exceed the value of the liabilities.

“I want a proper valuation of GAME's assets, including its HQ, French deposit money and online operations.”

Harsha even stressed that he would be prepared to take legal action should he feel that administration is not correctly handled.

“Money collected from the potential sale go first to secured creditors, unsecured creditors and then shareholders. We believe there should be enough value to fulfill all of those obligations,” he insisted

“Even if, say, 50 per cent of stores are closed, the value received from the buyer of the other 50 per cent would be sufficient to pay off liabilities such as leases and severance and still off substantial positive value for shareholders.

“It needs to be a fair and just process. I’m confident, but a little concerned by the Board’s no equity value statement. We will protect our rights.”

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

It'll be interesting, if it is run as a going concern, whether they will just merge the Gamestation & Game brands, although I wonder if they can do this, with all the rental agreements they have... They were supposed to have two "identities" whereby GS were concentrating on retro...Is there much demand for copies of Night Trap on the MegaCD for instance?

HOLA4425

The Wolf(enstein) is at the door ......

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/report-game-talks-collapse-administration-sell-off-imminent/093340

GAME talks collapse, administration sell-off imminent

http://www.express.co.uk/money/view/310365/Thousands-facing-axe-as-Game-ends-

THOUSANDS FACING AXE AS GAME ENDS

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship