House Price Crash Forum

Game in Trouble

HOLA441

Now could be a good time to focus ones mind on the HPC boards.

HPC is a little about house prices, but I think we have an off topic area for any that feels the need to talk about toe nail clippings and the like.

Lest we forget the great toe nail clippings thread of 2008. Some say it was corny and rough around the edges, but many chewed it over and over.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

HPC is a little about house prices, but I think we have an off topic area for any that feels the need to talk about toe nail clippings and the like.

Erm... House Price Crash forum> House Prices> House prices and the economy.

Mods tend to move off-topic items.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Though oddly, the Sony store (franchise) - next to the Game store in Windsor - which had gone bust has now re-opened. Weird!

A new purchase of the franchise or perhaps the shopping mall owners have decided to lower the rent? Even in Windsor there have been several shops empty ...

Or perhaps it is all about the 1.8% ...?

HOLA446

A few more ex-shop workers moving in back with mommy and daddy.

BTL 0 HPC 1

Unfortunately it will be a few ex shop workers on hb now having rent paid by new workers who now have to find their own life and someone else's Btl portfolio via taxes. Btl 50 vs hpc 0

Edited by Sir Harold m

HOLA447
HOLA448

You forgot the toe nail clippings sub forum.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Just a heads up that the 'extra £10 for 3 games' offer at Game & Gamestation ends at close of business tomorrow (wed.).

I've cleared all my cr@p / middling old games worth 50p each & got £3.90 or more + trade in, netting several £100's for stuff I was going to take to the charity shop

The Gamers here have been filling their boots....

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/257461-is-game-finished/page__st__5400

The whole thing seems like madness to me... £4.40 for Fifa 07 ? worth about 5p. Remember they only take, ps3. wii, 360 or Ds games, must have manual & a barcode, case & cover

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4411

Game's Oxford St. flagship store threatened with closure

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9262201/Games-flagship-store-threatened-with-closure.html

Game's flagship store on Oxford Street could be shut down, have the locks changed and be forced to halt trading at any moment

after a landmark ruling against Game Group's administrator, PwC...........

........Game had been due to pay more than £100,000 for three months' advance rent to its Oxford Street landlord, Lazari GP, the day before its collapse.

However, PwC has refused to pay the bill on the basis that it only became responsible for the store the day after the rent was due, even though it admitted new occupiers to run the store a week later....

.......A court order on Friday gives the landlord the power to send bailiffs in to drill out the locks immediately, forcing the retailer to stop trading.

More from the trade press ..

.http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/game-oxford-street-could-close-its-doors/096008

I've heard of a "Phoenix company" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_company

But this is more like the end of the Phoenix Club in "Phoenix Nights "

• 3 months later...
HOLA4412
  • 4 months later...
HOLA4413

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/uk-retailers-sell-2-2m-boxed-games-in-last-big-sales-week-before-christmas/0108706

....For the comparable seven day period last year, games retailers sold 3.5m games.

It means that the video game software market is heading for a 29 per cent decline for 2012, a huge drop that will likely have a significant impact on the High Street........

Will they never learn ?

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/surprise-game-looking-to-acquire-hmv-stores-after-stronger-than-expected-xmas/0109461

GAME looking to acquire HMV stores after stronger than expected Xmas

Although Game Retail has not released any numbers for its Christmas trading, Gibbs claims they were “ahead of expectations” and the retailer is confident it can hit its £20m annual earnings target by July.

He added that the approach to Deloitte has been made by GAME management and not by owner OpCapita, which still faces a possible Government enquiry over its handling of the collapse of Comet.

Game Retail's enquiry is said to be one of 50 expressions of interest in HMV assets, with strong competition still coming from HMV Canada owner Hilco and private equity group Endless.

The move, if it comes to fruition, could be good news for HMV. Management remains certain HMV can survive, although it will undoubtedly have to reduce its High Street footprint if it wishes to do so.

What's more surprising is GAME's interest. The chain shed half of its retail real estate a little under a year ago when former owners GAME Group fell into administration. With 300 UK stores still in operation, any increase would raise eyebrows – unless it was offset by the closure of some existing outlets.

Others may well question the wisdom behind such an expansion as we approach the reveal of a new generation of consoles that will place a greater emphasis on digital than we've ever seen before.....

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

How does CEX work? Sell second hand stuff at new prices. I don't get it?

No idea... Money laundering? The only people that go in there are junkies flogging stolen tat, bogan's who either are so thick as to not check internet prices for used stuff or have zero credit facility for online sales (Steam, Amazon, etc), and bored kids to waste time.

I bet there are some shady motives and people behind it all.

• 4 months later...
HOLA4416

update...

P.E milk that zombie CORP.se ?

Game pays OpCapita owners more than £3.2m

..but owes OpCapita £103m

In total Game Retail owes OpCapita £103m and is paying an “interest rate of 7.5 per cent above the base rate of Barclays”.

The discovery has caught the interest of the business press following the criticisms directed at OpCapita after the collapse of Comet – a chain it had rescued from administration just a year ago.

OpCapita boss Henry Jackson is understood to have done very well financially out of the collapse. Indeed, the structure of OpCapita’s retail buyouts mean that it is always first in line ahead of creditors should its brands fail.

Game say they will open 18 more stores

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/10039248/Game-pays-OpCapita-owners-more-than-3.2m.html#mm_hash

The Telegraph reports that GAME posted a loss of £18.2m in the four months following its buyout last April – but in the same period still had to stump up £3.2m in interest and “monitoring fees” to OpCapita.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/game-paid-opcapita-3-2m-in-months-following-buyout-despite-18-2m-loss-new-stores-planned/0115197

• 1 year later...
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Everyone buys new games from Amazon (physical copies), and software copies from Steam or direct download from the Playstation store on PS3/PS4 or the Xbox equivalent.

I don't see how a physical retailer can compete at all - especially as there is nothing to compare, nothing to see/touch or handle. All the game reviews are online and if it is a 9 or 10 out of 10 people will buy it regardless. And not from GAME.

Edited by Errol

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Everyone buys new games from Amazon (physical copies), and software copies from Steam or direct download from the Playstation store on PS3/PS4 or the Xbox equivalent.

I don't see how a physical retailer can compete at all - especially as there is nothing to compare, nothing to see/touch or handle. All the game reviews are online and if it is a 9 or 10 out of 10 people will buy it regardless. And not from GAME.

I buy my kids games at Argos. Normally they are £5 cheaper than Amazon.

We go in Game. Tere's always a big queue. Im not sure what the people are doing.

HOLA4421

I buy my kids games at Argos. Normally they are £5 cheaper than Amazon.

We go in Game. There's always a big queue. Im not sure what the people are doing.

I'm surprised, given the thin margins on games. What type of games are they ?

Looking generally at http://www.find-games.co.uk comparison site, Az are mainly cheaper .

On here a poster believes the large queues are due to a few customers having lots of friends / relatives in the queue with them

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

TBH the trading update is a disaster. Although sales looks strong margins must have collapsed for that kind of profit warning. It is interesting and I do wonder what kind of trade the likes of Tesco (which reported to have turned the corner), Argos must have done on games consoles and the like.

• 1 year later...
HOLA4425