House Price Crash Forum

Another Sad Story Of A Homebuyer!

HOLA441

Well I say sad, but I was laughing on the inside the whole time. :D

I'm looking for somewhere to rent short term, saw an ad for this room seperate bathroom etc... sounds nice so I went to have a look. This couple had just bought a 3 bed house in a new development, and they can't afford to live, so they are desperate to get a lodger, they were litrally bending over backwards with offers to encourage me to stay, I think I could have negotiated that they stay in their room whenever I come home from work just to clinch the deal!

They didn't even have a TV cause they can't afford one. but before you start feeling sorry for the victims of media hype the government, these two were both doctors!

I'm not going to rent it, really don't want to be helping people out in that situation. Maybe I'll help them in a couple of years by buying their property off them for 20% of its current value. :lol:

HOLA442

I'm looking for somewhere to rent short term, saw an ad for this room seperate bathroom etc... sounds nice so I went to have a look. This couple had just bought a 3 bed house in a new development, and they can't afford to live, so they are desperate to get a lodger, they were litrally bending over backwards with offers to encourage me to stay, I think I could have negotiated that they stay in their room whenever I come home from work just to clinch the deal!

They didn't even have a TV cause they can't afford one. but before you start feeling sorry for the victims of media hype the government, these two were both doctors!

I'm not going to rent it, really don't want to be helping people out in that situation. Maybe I'll help them in a couple of years by buying their property off them for 20% of its current value. :lol:

If 2 Gps on their combined income cannot 'keep it together', what hope is there for the rest of us? :(

HOLA443
HOLA444
Thats got to be rubbish or they both have bad drug or gambling habits. Alot of my friends from university are doctors both at hospitals and gps. The GPs earn about £60,000 - £70,000 don't tell me that a joint income of £140,000 can't buy a 3 bed house. House Price are mad but not that mad!!!

I'm pretty sure you can't come out of uni to be a GP on 60k. I think there is some workup to it. These two were working in a hospital so maybe there income is not a bright anyway? maybe they're just greedy?

HOLA445

Doctors start on abt £37K BUT!!!! they accrue massive debts through seven years of studying. Of course the banks fall over themselves to lend to professionals as by the time they are 40 they are loaded and have lots of spare cash for investing, so the bank have probably ignored the 2.5 x joint income benchmark.

HOLA446
Thats got to be rubbish or they both have bad drug or gambling habits. Alot of my friends from university are doctors both at hospitals and gps. The GPs earn about £60,000 - £70,000 don't tell me that a joint income of £140,000 can't buy a 3 bed house. House Price are mad but not that mad!!!

Oddly enough, I was only chatting about this yesterday with a GP, his wife works, and they cannot afford a house in Swansea without stretching to a ridiculous multiple. They are considering moving overseas even though both are from Swansea originally and his dream was always to be a GP in his home town.

And...

Last week I was chatting with several Consultants here in Swansea who were telling me about the ridiculous insurance premiums that they are now being charged. I was shocked to discover that this is in the tens of thousands per annum. In fact, between insurance costs, stress and Government targets these surgeons seemed pretty cheesed off.

HOLA447
HOLA448
im wondering - if the docs are priced out, where are the postmen living ?

That is exactly the point. If there was ever an unacceptable face of capitalism, the house price bubble must be it. Why should young people (and I am not one of them) live in poverty and cramped squallor so that people of a certain generation can enjoy something for nothing.

HOLA449
Why should young people (and I am not one of them) live in poverty and cramped squallor so that people of a certain generation can enjoy something for nothing.

They won't, they aren't that stupid. Give it a couple more years and the current greedy generation will begin to realise what they are sowing.

Nomadd

Edited by Nomadd

HOLA4410

Doctors' basic wages aren't actually that high. The best figures I could come up with where here (the lowest figure for each grade is their basic):

BBC News 2002

The reason they get paid more is due to the number of extra (anti-social) hours they have to put in. This is slowly been cut back as EU directives are introduced. As far as I know it's based on banding which is a percentage of your basic on top. The best being band 3 which is 100%, hence the huge range of pay on each scale.

A few GPs are doing very well for themselves undertaking out-of-hours work.

If you're purely after a job with money then there are easier and better paid jobs out there e.g. Banking, Law etc.

Edited by The_Equalizer

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Doctors' basic wages aren't actually that high. The best figures I could come up with where here (the lowest figure for each grade is their basic):

BBC News 2002

The reason they get paid more is due to the number of extra (anti-social) hours they have to put in. This is slowly been cut back as EU directives are introduced. As far as I know it's based on banding which is a percentage of your basic on top. The best being band 3 which is 100%, hence the huge range of pay on each scale.

A few GPs are doing very well for themselves undertaking out-of-hours work.

If you're purely after a job with money then there are easier and better paid jobs out there e.g. Banking, Law etc.

Admittly my friends are all 29 to 30. You start straight after qualifying as a GP you have to do 2 years+ in a hospital. The ones that work in a hospital earn I think 30,000 basic but you can add another 20,000 because they pretty much have to do the overtime.

The GP's earn over £60,000 by the age of 30. Depends how old these doctors are but if they straight out of uni then they shouldn't really expect to buy a house! 2 doctors on even £40,000 each though can clearly afford to buy a house though even at current inflated prices.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

God forbid should you ever need them to help you out. I've never insulted anyone on this forum but you really are a moron.

HOLA4417

I think your too cruel, but wise. Never lodge. It really is the pits to live in someone elses house, even if they are desperate for your money (particularly if they are desperate for money - they will resent the hell out of you for being better off than them, while they have done all the conventionally 'right' things.)

HOLA4418
Never lodge. It really is the pits to live in someone elses house, even if they are desperate for your money (particularly if they are desperate for money - they will resent the hell out of you for being better off than them, while they have done all the conventionally 'right' things.)

Lizzie is obviously correct, UNLESS you wanna go the Pacific Heights route : sociopathic tendencies required!

If that is your chosen route to property ownership, may I suggest the more they resent you the better!

:P

HOLA4419
God forbid should you ever need them to help you out. I've never insulted anyone on this forum but you really are a moron.

P1ss off. I'm really sick of quasi-bulls playing the hoity-toity sanctimonious moral superiority card. If PM doesn't want to rent from a couple of over-leveraged fools, that's his choice and his business, and no-one else's. So take your miserable insult and stick it up your ****.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
P1ss off. I'm really sick of quasi-bulls playing the hoity-toity sanctimonious moral superiority card. If PM doesn't want to rent from a couple of over-leveraged fools, that's his choice and his business, and no-one else's. So take your miserable insult and stick it up your ****.

Couldn't have said it better. I'm just wound up by people all over this country expecting something for nothing, and life is just not like that. The sooner they all wake up and have to put some effort in to get a return the better. When you open your eyes and look at the sh*t going on in the world (rich governments with poverty population, women being forced into the sex trade for wealthy brits, Rapists winning the lotto and getting UK Tax payer protection, etc....) and then you stand by someone else’s rightful greed for their over extended living 'rights' you should really look at yourself and question your own morels and definition of right and wrong.

HOLA4422
Lizzie is obviously correct, UNLESS you wanna go the Pacific Heights route : sociopathic tendencies required!

If that is your chosen route to property ownership, may I suggest the more they resent you the better!

:P

This would maybe mean something if only I understood "Pacific Heights". From the context of the coversation and the naming convention involved in whatever it is, I can only presume that it is an American version of neighbours with latent psychopathic killers lodging (and/or taking lodgers) in the Hollywood Hills. If you ever find the time please explain.

HOLA4423

Surprised they didnt offer sexual intercourse with whoever whenever wherever and however you wanted too.

HOLA4424
This would maybe mean something if only I understood "Pacific Heights". From the context of the coversation and the naming convention involved in whatever it is, I can only presume that it is an American version of neighbours with latent psychopathic killers lodging (and/or taking lodgers) in the Hollywood Hills. If you ever find the time please explain.

REVIEW - Pacific Heights http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/r1/085391724728.htm

Ever a had neighbour from hell? You know, the one who never cleans, makes too much noise at night with his jigsaw and breeds cockroaches and pumps them into your apartment? Never have? Well, pump up your paranoia with this outlandish if mildly enjoyable thriller starring Melanie Griffith and Matthew Modine as San Francisco yuppies-cum-landlords who rent out an apartment in their Pacific Heights house to mild-mannered Michael Keaton in order to make the mortgage payment.

What seems like a happy arrangement all around turns hellish when (a) Keaton refuses to pay the rent;(B) firmly entrenches himself in the apartment thanks to some legal manoeuvring; and © starts playing with the cockroaches. Ostensibly, Keaton wants to drive Griffith and Modine to bankruptcy and then pick up their fab Victorian house for cheap but as is the way of all thrillers, he's got a sadistic and homicidal bent to back up his real-estate envy.

Director John Schlesinger (Midnight Cowboy) manipulates the thrills somewhat effectively, if not gratuitously, especially with Griffith's damsel-in-distress character, turning on the tension in the don't-go-to-the-attic/garage/basement set pieces. Part of the problem of the film lies in its schizophrenic tone: one moment it's a what's-in-the-dark? thriller, at other times a nifty cat-and-mouse game of psychological wills between Keaton and his landlords. Both sides of the movie are effective in their own right, and Keaton is a great psycho, but Schlesinger doesn't quite bring it together, despite a considerably amped-up climax.

Still, if the sight of a beautiful house being slowly destroyed is your idea of the ultimate horror, you'll be chilled to the bone. Look for Griffith's mother, Tippi Hedren of The Birds fame, in a cameo role

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA4425
I'm pretty sure you can't come out of uni to be a GP on 60k. I think there is some workup to it. These two were working in a hospital so maybe there income is not a bright anyway? maybe they're just greedy?

For the record, when I started work as a consultant in London last year I was on 67K. This was after 17 years training including 6 years as a student. Lots of debts accumultated on the way and as a junior doctor i was on around 40k. Contrary to the popular view, most consultants do not do private practice. So you can see that doctors will be struggling just like everyone else in the current market

DrT