House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
3 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

Hopefully gold is about to have an epic run higher. could finally be time 

I know it's priced in USD but I noticed it didn't drop below £900 even after multiple drops...maybe that's 'our' support level

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Gold demand up 42% as countries abandon US dollar in expectation of geopolitical shift

Demand for gold was up 42 percent year on year in the first quarter of 2018 among central banks, the World Gold Council (WGC) statistics say. Russia and Turkey are the largest net buyers.

Central banks added a net total of 193.3 tons of bullion in the half of 2018, an 8 percent increase from the 178.6 tons bought in the same period last year. This marks the strongest six months for central bank gold buying since 2015, the WGC notes.

“Russia has stepped up buying gold in its reserves in the face of new US sanctions and a possible disconnection from the dollar system,” added the analyst.

According to Muratov, a similar strategy is now being observed in many countries in Europe and Asia. China, Turkey, Venezuela, Iran, Qatar and Indonesia, are aimed at de-dollarization of economies and foreign trade. All these countries are significantly increasing their gold reserves, the expert says.

As the WGC notes in its report, gold buying is not only about hedging currency risks. “In an environment of heightened geopolitical tensions, gold is an attractive asset because it is not anyone else's liability and does not carry any counterparty risk,” the report says.

“Gold is already a familiar asset class for central banks, but the changing nature of the gold market – with ever-growing consumption coming from developing economies – means that gold is increasingly aligned with emerging market economic patterns. Central banks may increasingly recognize that the rules of the game are changing.”

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
On 30/10/2018 at 20:49, chronyx said:

I'm quite impressed with the length of this admittedly minor run upwards.

Anyone else tempted to buy more gold or silver, physical or ETF?

Typically I was skint when it was £900/oz :rolleyes:

Can some one explain how to set up an account and buy ETF

HOLA4412
1 hour ago, No One said:

Can some one explain how to set up an account and buy ETF

All I can say is that I use Hargreaves Lansdown and own some ETFS Metal Securities Ltd (PHSP) and some iShares V plc (SPGP).

Up to you whether to use an ISA or normal stock and shares account

HOLA4413
On 30/10/2018 at 20:49, chronyx said:

I'm quite impressed with the length of this admittedly minor run upwards.

Anyone else tempted to buy more gold or silver, physical or ETF?

Typically I was skint when it was £900/oz :rolleyes:

I purchased some krugerrand when they were £260

my mate Gordon told me 

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Russia’s gold reserves smash Soviet-era record as part of Moscow's de-dollarization drive

The Central Bank of Russia bought over 92 tons of gold in the three months to the end of September breaking the Soviet peak of 2000 tons in gold reserves seen in 1941, according to a new report by the World Gold Council (WGC).

Russia reportedly purchased more gold than any other country in the world, followed by Turkey, Kazakhstan, and India, which bought 18.5 tons, 13.4 tons and 13.7 tons respectively.

That marks the highest quarterly net purchase since 1993, when the WGC started tracking the country’s data. Russia’s gold stockpile now accounts for 17 percent of the country's overall foreign exchange reserves.

https://www.rt.com/business/442934-russia-central-bank-record-gold/

HOLA4419

On 5th November 2018, ex JP Morgan employee in court admits to a large number of  manipulative precious metals trades between 2009 and 2015.

Hopefully  it is the start of JP Morgan getting taken to the cleaners for gold and silver manipulation.

Remember, remember the 5th of November.

https://www.silverseek.com/commentary/crack-dike-17474

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Regarding Venezuelan gold (see below). The world is watching and will understand, as they do with the US sanctions, that the quicker they distance themselves from the US, their vassals and the US dollar the better.

UK Blatantly Violates Norms Of Decent Behavior

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-11-10/uk-blatantly-violates-norms-decent-behavior

HOLA4424
HOLA4425