House Price Crash Forum

Krokodil: The Drug That Eats Junkies

HOLA441

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/krokodil-the-drug-that-eats-junkies-2300787.html

Oleg glances furtively around him and, confident that nobody is watching, slips inside the entrance to a decaying Soviet-era block of flats, where Sasha is waiting for him. Ensconced in the dingy kitchen of one of the apartments, they empty the contents of a blue carrier bag that Oleg has brought with him – painkillers, iodine, lighter fluid, industrial cleaning oil, and an array of vials, syringes, and cooking implements.

Half an hour later, after much boiling, distilling, mixing and shaking, what remains is a caramel-coloured gunge held in the end of a syringe, and the acrid smell of burnt iodine in the air. Sasha fixes a dirty needle to the syringe and looks for a vein in his bruised forearm. After some time, he finds a suitable place, and hands the syringe to Oleg, telling him to inject the fluid. He closes his eyes, and takes the hit.

Russia has more heroin users than any other country in the world – up to two million, according to unofficial estimates. For most, their lot is a life of crime, stints in prison, probable contraction of HIV and hepatitis C, and an early death. As efforts to stem the flow of Afghan heroin into Russia bring some limited success, and the street price of the drug goes up, for those addicts who can't afford their next hit, an even more terrifying spectre has raised its head.

The home-made drug that Oleg and Sasha inject is known as krokodil, or "crocodile". It is desomorphine, a synthetic opiate many times more powerful than heroin that is created from a complex chain of mixing and chemical reactions, which the addicts perform from memory several times a day. While heroin costs from £20 to £60 per dose, desomorphine can be "cooked" from codeine-based headache pills that cost £2 per pack, and other household ingredients available cheaply from the markets.

It is a drug for the poor, and its effects are horrific. It was given its reptilian name because its poisonous ingredients quickly turn the skin scaly. Worse follows. Oleg and Sasha have not been using for long, but Oleg has rotting sores on the back of his neck.

"If you miss the vein, that's an abscess straight away," says Sasha. Essentially, they are injecting poison directly into their flesh. One of their friends, in a neighbouring apartment block, is further down the line.

"She won't go to hospital, she just keeps injecting. Her flesh is falling off and she can hardly move anymore," says Sasha. Photographs of late-stage krokodil addicts are disturbing in the extreme. Flesh goes grey and peels away to leave bones exposed. People literally rot to death.

Russian heroin addicts first discovered how to make krokodil around four years ago, and there has been a steady rise in consumption, with a sudden peak in recent months. "Over the past five years, sales of codeine-based tablets have grown by dozens of times," says Viktor Ivanov, the head of Russia's Drug Control Agency. "It's pretty obvious that it's not because everyone has suddenly developed headaches."

Soon to be in the UK when our junkies can't afford their fix?

What an horrific death sentence these people are committing themselves too. Sounds like something in a horror sci-fi film.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I'm eating a big bowl of porridge and all i can say is that it certainly puts things into perspective when you see things like this, poor bastards.

The jocks? Yeah, no one would eat that shit if they could afford real food :lol:

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

lot of opionion on it being fake, tis the internet though so we'll never know - unless you fancy jacking up yourself to test. :lol:

jeasus fvcking christ :o that did not look fake to me ......just kept down my lunch ! shall show the kids tomorrow what drugs can do :ph34r:

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

OMG......This is for real. I've never seen anything like it. I feel sick.

Those poor folk; what a way to die.

They must legalise drugs and stop this crap from happening.

FFS...just legalise it and sort it out.

HOLA4415

OMG......This is for real. I've never seen anything like it. I feel sick.

Those poor folk; what a way to die.

They must legalise drugs and stop this crap from happening.

FFS...just legalise it and sort it out.

:o I'm just about to go to bed and have decided I will watch the vids tomorrow. After reading some of these comments I don't fancy seeing this shit just before I go up. Horrific !!

HOLA4416

As a russian speaker, the dialogue sounded real to me, I couldn't stick with the pictures and turned it off at the sawing sounds.

If the wiki can be trusted this is what it says..

"Tianeptine (under "Coaxil" brand name) has been intravenously injected by drug users in Armenia and Russia.[29][30] This method of administration reportedly causes an opioid-like effect and is sometimes used in an attempt to lessen opioid withdrawal symptoms.[29] As tianeptine tablets do not fully dissolve and often the solution is not filtered well, particles in the injected fluid can block small blood vessels, leading to thrombosis and then severe necrosis".

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

:o I'm just about to go to bed and have decided I will watch the vids tomorrow. After reading some of these comments I don't fancy seeing this shit just before I go up. Horrific !!

Aye - can someone please give a very high level description of the 'oh my god' moment before I decide to watch or not. :o

I am not too squeamish at all - however I have a feeling this may push the boundaries !

HOLA4419

Aye - can someone please give a very high level description of the 'oh my god' moment before I decide to watch or not. :o

I am not too squeamish at all - however I have a feeling this may push the boundaries !

I don't know if anyone here remembers but there was a video on here a couple of years ago, where some poor Lebanese kid had cracked his face open after a tombstone accident. I could only watch 30 seconds of that vid. That was possibly the worst thing I've ever seen, and I don't overly get affected by blood & gore (I even have an odd glance at documenting reality), so those vids are a walk in the park considering.. ;)

HOLA4420

Like most drugs, it isn't the active component that's the problem, it's all the muck thats mixed in with it. When you manufacture it from Codeine, iodine and phosphorus then don't purify it like these idiots do, it's hardly surprising you're going to die.

The pure form is useful as a short term, highly powerful analgesic, and has been used as such.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I don't know if anyone here remembers but there was a video on here a couple of years ago, where some poor Lebanese kid had cracked his face open after a tombstone accident. I could only watch 30 seconds of that vid. That was possibly the worst thing I've ever seen, and I don't overly get affected by blood & gore (I even have an odd glance at documenting reality), so those vids are a walk in the park considering.. ;)

That tombstone vid is the worst thing I've ever seen. I still replay it in my head now and then. It's burnt in unfortunately.

Terrible thing to see.

Put me off my Tea now. :-(

HOLA4425

That tombstone vid is the worst thing I've ever seen. I still replay it in my head now and then. It's burnt in unfortunately.

Terrible thing to see.

Put me off my Tea now. :-(

I've noticed that its on liveleak (for those who are interested)....nice friend of his, who decided to keep filming during the whole incident...

Archived