House Price Crash Forum

Gavin Esler Asks Vince Cable On Newsnight..

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Ex Labour stooge stating that some 'experts' think UK house prices have to drop 40% to get to long term affordable levels.

Funny I never heard much of that when they were in power.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Did they really mention 40%???? Am I dreaming to hear that question asked on a BBC News programme?

Almost 11pm on Newsnight. There is a reason this sort of chat is never heard on the News at 6.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

It's a good question!

Now if only someone would tell us what the answer was...actually, I can pretty much guess.

He evaded, or rather, just flat out refused to answer a direct question about the possibility of a correction in the housing market. He said something about not wanting to make 'predictions'.

He admitted there had been a housing bubble but referred to it in past tense, the interviewer jumped in and pointed out that we're still in the housing bubble and that there hadn't been a correction (or words to that effect) and made reference to a recent article in The Economist. Cable then made a very weak and vague statement about there being some deflation in the housing market.

The panel debate that followed the interview was very interesting. I'm not familiar with the panel members but I think it was an economist, an ex CEO of Asda and a Lord (??) so far as I could tell they were all non-partisan but all very bearish. When answering a question specifically about the housing market the Lord pointed out that the OECD rate the UK property market as 40% overvalued.

Edited by monstermunch

HOLA4416

He evaded, or rather, just flat out refused to answer a direct question about the possibility of a correction in the housing market.

He admitted there had been a housing bubble but referred to it in past tense, the interviewer jumped in at this pointed out that we're still in the housing bubble and that there hadn't been a correction (or words to that effect). Cable then made a very weak and vague statement about there being some deflation in the housing market.

The panel debate that followed the interview was very interesting. I'm not familiar with the panel members but I think it was an economist, an ex CEO of Asda and a Lord (??) so far as I could tell they were all quite non-partisan but all very bearish. When answering a question specifically about the housing market the Lord pointed out that the OECD rate the UK property market as 40% overvalued.

The VI`s are starting to panic, sheeple have believed too hard, they really are holding out, they want their house to be worth "lots", they won`t allow the market to move, this is now pissing into other parts of the economy, and f*ucking things up for vi`s who sold property four years ago.

HOLA4417

The VI`s are starting to panic, sheeple have believed too hard, they really are holding out, they want their house to be worth "lots", they won`t allow the market to move, this is now pissing into other parts of the economy, and f*ucking things up for vi`s who sold property four years ago.

Availability:

Sorry, this programme is not available to watch again.

cant seem to watch it.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Who made the 40% comment?

Of course, we might ask 40% real or 40% nominal.

Probably early days for a wage price spiral, but does anyone have thoughts on this?

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2045894/microsoft-employees-pay-rise

HOLA4425

He evaded, or rather, just flat out refused to answer a direct question about the possibility of a correction in the housing market. He said something about not wanting to make 'predictions'.

He admitted there had been a housing bubble but referred to it in past tense, the interviewer jumped in and pointed out that we're still in the housing bubble and that there hadn't been a correction (or words to that effect) and made reference to a recent article in The Economist. Cable then made a very weak and vague statement about there being some deflation in the housing market.

The panel debate that followed the interview was very interesting. I'm not familiar with the panel members but I think it was an economist, an ex CEO of Asda and a Lord (??) so far as I could tell they were all non-partisan but all very bearish. When answering a question specifically about the housing market the Lord pointed out that the OECD rate the UK property market as 40% overvalued.

Vince proved two things.

Firstly, he is not the economics guru that many here thought him to be and secondly, that power alters every politician beyond recognition meaning that you never get what you thought you were voting for.