House Price Crash Forum

Novartis Dumps 620 Jobs

HOLA441

Novartis to close UK manufacturing site, research downsized

Novartis is to close its manufacturing site in Horsham, West Sussex, but will retain its work in respiratory research at the site.
Early reports picked up by Pharmafocus suggested the entire site would close, but Novartis has now released an official statement saying its manufacturing operations will close, while its Global Development site will only be ‘partially’ closed, with both measures taking effect over a two-year period.
There are approximately 950 full-time equivalent positions on the campus of which around 330 are dedicated to respiratory research.

Simply too expensive to do anything other than banking in the South East?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Expect a surge in new coffee shops in the area.

No joke, I know 3 people out of work or jobs on the line.... all of them are thinking of opening up coffee shops!!!

Who buys all this coffee! - And it's not like the price of coffee keeps going down due to competition :unsure::rolleyes:

HOLA447
HOLA448

Sad, but its a trend. Pfizer goes, then all the rest start to think the same. The 80/20 rule applies here. 20% of the companies control 80% of the bulk of the money. Devastating for the area.

Glaxosmithkline are this month finishing off the close down of their Dartford plant . Ten years ago 4,000 people worked there and these were well paid long term jobs. Part time jobs in places like Tesco are not going to bridge the gap in peoples earnings .

HOLA449

Glaxosmithkline are this month finishing off the close down of their Dartford plant . Ten years ago 4,000 people worked there and these were well paid long term jobs. Part time jobs in places like Tesco are not going to bridge the gap in peoples earnings .

Yes, and sadder still, when Tesco don't hire local people for managerial/the better paid positions. Although it is not on a large scale admittedly.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Yes, and sadder still, when Tesco don't hire local people for managerial/the better paid positions.

Tesco HR policy for senior Managers is to employ people living a long way from the stores. Average daily commute for a Tesco store manager is over 100 mile round trip !

Edited by Clocker

HOLA4413

Holy sh1t what is going to be the future for any of this pharma / bioscience sector that is supposed to be our future?

*double face palm*

Umm

Nope problem is like so much it is part of our past not our future.

HOLA4414

So that's 620 more lazy people in Horsham.

Seems to be more and more lazy people in the South-East.

You gonna answer the points I made in the thread YOU started and related to ME ?

You gonna do that ? Or are you just gonna scuttle off to another thread and copy and paste your comments - instead of admitting you didn't actually bother to read what I have been saying previously ?

What is it to be ? Admit you didn't really listen to what I was saying - or just tottle off like a schoolkid with their fingers in their ears ?

Up to you. Fire away.

In case you forgot - there is the thread again and here are my points to you. Which you have failed to even have the decency to answer. When it was a thread started by yourself with my name on it. Poor manners at the very least.

HPC Thread

Please point out where I stated that every person who is unemployed is lazy.

Please point out where I stated that unemployment is down to laziness and nothing else.

Please point out where I said that wage arbitration across different countries had nothing to do with unemployment here.

Please point out where I said jobs are not harder to come by today - and those wanting them will have to work harder for them. Please point out where I said the state of our economy is not going to have an impact on employment.

Please point out where I said globalisation is great and nothing bad comes of it.

Please point out where I said all immigrants should be let into this country willy nilly for ever more.

Please point out where I said all foreign workers are better than British ones.

Please point out where I said all UK workers are lazy.

Oh and finally - and please shut up.

These constant infantile debates are boring. People who hear one person saying one thing they don't like - and then ignoring everything else they are saying - when they are in fact probably in broad agreement with their main points.

It is actually like debating with 13 year olds. And I come to this site because the debate is usually better than that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the thread subject - yes there does seem to be a bit of an exodus in certain sectors from the UK. But it's ok - we have Banking to save us !! :D:o:(

HOLA4415
As for the thread subject - yes there does seem to be a bit of an exodus in certain sectors from the UK. But it's ok - we have Banking to save us !! :D:o:(

Don't forget the royal wedding and the olympics that will both provide loads of new high paying permanent jobs...

If all fails we can just permanently sell houses to each other.

HOLA4416

Don't forget the royal wedding and the olympics that will both provide loads of new high paying permanent jobs...

What do you mean 'if'? That's been the UK's main economic activity for over ten years now!

HOLA4417

This plan cannot fail. Why didn't we try it before ?

:lol:

HOLA4418

Expect a surge in new coffee shops in the area.

No joke, I know 3 people out of work or jobs on the line.... all of them are thinking of opening up coffee shops!!!

In my town it seems to be card shops...the mark up is huge on cards don't you know! :unsure:

HOLA4419

Novartis to close UK manufacturing site, research downsized

Novartis is to close its manufacturing site in Horsham, West Sussex, but will retain its work in respiratory research at the site.
Early reports picked up by Pharmafocus suggested the entire site would close, but Novartis has now released an official statement saying its manufacturing operations will close, while its Global Development site will only be 'partially' closed, with both measures taking effect over a two-year period.
There are approximately 950 full-time equivalent positions on the campus of which around 330 are dedicated to respiratory research.

Simply too expensive to do anything other than banking in the South East?

Shocking. :ph34r:

There are some very high skill/high value people in that operation at Horsham. 'Global' top of the tree jobs. I guess they'll end up in Switzerland at some point instead of here.

Whatever Dave and Osborne think they are doing to 'rebalance' the economy stuff like this ought to bring them out in a cold sweat. If the UK can't keep Novartis here then we really will end up in the sh1t with nothing left to do except buy cr4p and sell sh1tty little executive apartments to each other.

For fs Dave/Osborne/Boris get your heads out of your ar5es and look at what's happening. Bob Diamond is not the future - you're screwing this up bigger than you know. :ph34r:

HOLA4420

For fs Dave/Osborne/Boris get your heads out of your ar5es and look at what's happening. Bob Diamond is not the future - you're screwing this up bigger than you know. :ph34r:

Do you honestly think this was caused by what this government has done in the last 10 months?

Printing money -> increased cost of living -> manufacturing becoming uneconomic -> jobs move overseas has been the story for at least 30 years now.

HOLA4421

Do you honestly think this was caused by what this government has done in the last 10 months?

Printing money -> increased cost of living -> manufacturing becoming uneconomic -> jobs move overseas has been the story for at least 30 years now.

Novartis (Ciba-Geigy) have been in the UK much longer than that.

I agree that it started with Reagan and Thatcher and followed up with the WTO rounds as you suggest, yes. Who doesn't??

Point is Dave/Osborne have this head up their a5se notion that they're 'rebalancing' the economy by saying that they are. Companies like this would be instrumental in 'rebalancing' the economy away from banking and the City.

So yes, it's a total fail that these companies are fleeing the UK at all but especially under a Tory govt.

What exactly are they intending to 'rebalance' to if not high added value, high tech Pharma R&D and production? Have you seen the operations and people in Horsham? This isn't some tin shed Chinese toll manufacture.

What's the use eh? Let's just shut down the entire economy outside of bankstering so we can all buy houses for 36p each. That'll work.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423