House Price Crash Forum

FUKUSHIMA earthquake and tsunami thread and aftermath

geezer466

HOLA441

"No Chernobyl is possible at a light water reactor. Loss of coolant means a temperature rise, but it also will stop the reaction,"

Meltdown has already began. It' s just being kept quiet. Now they have what is left from fuel rods spread all over the plant area. This sh*t is million degrees C hot and needs to be picked up quickly. As long as they wont use water to cool this red hot pieces of Uranium there should not be Chernobyl style disaster. That is why they sending their "special firefighters team".

The main difference between Fukushima and Chernbyl is not that of Fukushima reactor being safer. It's different now because after Chernobyl we do have now safety protocols how to deal with a nuclear disaster.

*lates news*- "Leakage at Fukushima plant....radiation around plat Up...".:o

I hope Japanese got safe stock of sodium iodine. Just in case.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

There goes the cunning plan to build 20 reactors in this country. BTW--want to know where one of the deepest fault lines on the planet is? Yup--you guessed it--runs right through the UK across Europe into Jerusalem. It rattles every now and then.

SKY just said there are a lot of rumours on the net on this--is this a do not panic ploy?

HOLA444
If the pressure vessel maintains its integrity then things should be okay. The reactor is destroyed of course. I guess the explosion we are seeing could be a steam release on the primary-side, which would be bad, if the fuel containment is breached -- i.e. if the fuel has melted.

Here you can see the building explode at 0:47. I guess this is the containment building?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg4uogOEUrU&feature=player_detailpage#t=45s

HOLA445
HOLA446

If you look at the BBC video that shows the moment of explosion, you can actually see the shock-wave travelling upwards before the steam starts to escape.

This is one of the big downsides for nuclear. Now I'm all for it as a longer-term source of power, but natural disasters can really give Greenpeace strong arguments against!
There have now been three big disasters in the history of nuclear power. This latest one is the only one of the three to be caused by a natural disaster. And probably not by direct structural damage by the earthquake or tsunami but by systems failure as a knock-on effect. Edited by Hyperduck Quack Quack

HOLA447

and that's supposed to restore our confidence?

this reminds me of GOMs famous little rhyme, which I now get hideously wrong.

We have a problem,

We have a bigger problem,

We have a serious problem

etc etc.

HOLA448
HOLA449

There goes the cunning plan to build 20 reactors in this country. BTW--want to know where one of the deepest fault lines on the planet is? Yup--you guessed it--runs right through the UK across Europe into Jerusalem. It rattles every now and then.

SKY just said there are a lot of rumours on the net on this--is this a do not panic ploy?

hmm,, who has backed CDS on Japan power?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Where are the reactors with respect to the turbine halls then? Because the exploding building was nowhere near one...

No idea, but the reactors would be on site and the site would be about twelve square kilometres

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

If you look at the BBC video that shows the moment of explosion, you can actually see the shock-wave travelling upwards before the steam starts to escape.

Just found out that this reactor is a Boiling Water Reactor, not a PWR as I assumed.

Loss of steam could be very bad.

In a BWR the steam from within the reactor is used to drive the turbines directly.

In a PWR, there is a secondary loop.

HOLA4414

I call BS on that :)

Yes the UK does have the occasion tremmor, but we're not on any plate fault lines. There is one that goes through the med, hence Italy, Greece and Turkey suffering from quakes.

HOLA4415

There have now been three big disasters in the history of nuclear power. This latest one is the only one of the three to be caused by a natural disaster. And probably not by direct structural damage by the earthquake or tsunami but by systems failure as a knock-on effect.

If this has leaked, I would just like to remind younger posters of the consequences of Chernobyl...in the UK

Farmers had to have their fields tested for Nuclear fallout....many hill farms were unable to sell their produce for years.

Japan is a densely populated and farmed country....this could turn out to be extremely serious for all.

HOLA4416

This is a 'Hindenberg moment' for the nuclear power industry. The future of nuclear ended today.

What's escaping from the building is obviously steam, but is it radioactive steam? With all that water gone, what's will happen to the cooling systems? Look at the speed at which the cloud spreads.

There are a couple of certainties with nuclear power stations.

The first is that more and more will be built until a massive disaster occurs.

A massive disaster will occur, sooner or later. It's merely a question of when.

So, if it's this time, you might be right. And maybe it's just as well. Building things that can't be safely removed for thousands of years is a very bad long-term strategy.

HOLA4417

I call BS on that :)

Yes the UK does have the occasion tremmor, but we're not on any plate fault lines. There is one that goes through the med, hence Italy, Greece and Turkey suffering from quakes.

a string of experts now commenting that the explosion is NOT the containment....course, Im not sure how many containment explosions these guys have ever seen.

Edited by Bloo Loo

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

a string of experts now commenting that the explosion is NOT the containment....course, Im not sure how many containment explosions these guys have ever seen.

Big fat zero by the guff that's coming out.

The Japanese have issued severe warnings to the public, I think I will take that on board instead.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

If this has leaked, I would just like to remind younger posters of the consequences of Chernobyl...in the UK

Farmers had to have their fields tested for Nuclear fallout....many hill farms were unable to sell their produce for years.

Japan is a densely populated and farmed country....this could turn out to be extremely serious for all.

Add to this that a lot of their soil just got salted.

Not good.

HOLA4423

Not so much an explosion in the Hollywood sense. That looks like a steam cloud, probably the reactor vessel has ruptured.

Danger is that the steam cloud dispersal will carry over the mainland and irradiate millions, aka Chernobyl.

Unknowns will be how much fissile material was in the core, and what the weather will be like in the next while.

The only fix is to pour cement into the core, but unfortunately for anyone working on that will be subject to massive amounts of ionizing radiation and be dead within a year.

Hopefully it doesn't rain for the next few days there.

I bet we see a CEO or two commit seppuku.

Edit: We have this (Chernobyl at meltdown):

Burnt-Reactor_09864342.jpeg

And we need to do this, make into a sarcophagus.

1.1278354177.chernobyl-reactor-no-4.jpg

Scary stuff

Edited by cashinmattress

HOLA4424

Yes the UK does have the occasion tremmor, but we're not on any plate fault lines.
We do suffer intra-plate quakes from time to time - nothing like what's happened in Japan but there was a big earthquake in the North Sea in 1931 with its epicentre on the Dogger Bank, which shook most of the UK, and resulted in one person dying from shock.

HOLA4425

Bloke on CNN just a moment ago has just said one of the fuel rods has melted and is on the bottom of the container and another reporter has said the explosion has damaged the containment.

CNN ticker flashed up Radiation levels are 1000times higher than normal in the control room and are also sayiing levels are rising around the plant now.

Coolant system at 2nd plant has now failed.

normally, when things explode, and people are working on the thing, A, the people are killed, B, the equipment is lost, and C, there is nobody actually there to tell what the state on the ground is. it takes time for people to return.

Speculation in the press gets people watching and advertisers paying.