House Price Crash Forum

FUKUSHIMA earthquake and tsunami thread and aftermath

geezer466

God .......its not as if they have enough on their plate

If there is damage that "steam " is going to be well nasty

apparently the fuel rods were exposed to air when they couldnt pump enough water in. as a result the fuel rods started to melt which is why they detected cesium.

doesnt sound too good.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TOKYO: Japan's nuclear authorities warned Saturday that quake-hit atomic plant Fukushima No. 1, about 250 kilometres (160 miles) northeast of Tokyo, "may be experiencing a nuclear meltdown", media said. Kyodo News agency said radioactive caesium had been detected near Fukushima plant, citing the Japanese nuclear safety commission. The cooling system of the plant was damaged in the massive earthquake that struck the region 24 hours earlier, leaving the government scrambling to fix the problem and evacuate more than 45,000 residents within a 10-kilometre (six-mile) radius). Thousands were also evacuated from near a second plant, Fukushima No. 2, which also suffered damage to its cooling system.

Parts of the No. 1 reactor's nuclear fuel rods were briefly exposed to the air Saturday after cooling water levels dropped through evaporation, and a fire engine was pumping water into the reactor, Jiji Press reported. The water levels were recovering, said operator Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO), according to Jiji.

A TEPCO spokesman said that "we believe the reactor is not melting down or cracking. We are trying to raise the water level."

Public broadcaster NHK quoted Japan's nuclear and industrial safety agency as saying that metal tubes which contain uranium fuel may have melted. The broadcaster quoted Tokyo University professor Naoto Sekimura as saying that "only a fraction of the fuel may have melted but the reactor had already been stopped and is being cooled. I urge residents to act calmly."

The government Friday declared an atomic emergency amid growing international concern over its reactors after the 8.9 magnitude earthquake, the biggest in Japan's history, unleashed tsunamis that swept all before them.

When Friday's massive quake hit, the plants immediately shut down, along with others in quake-hit parts of Japan, as they are designed to do -- but the cooling systems failed, the government said. When reactors shut down, cooling systems must kick in to bring down the very high temperatures. These systems are powered by either the external electricity grid, backup generators or batteries.

The fear is that fuel rods, if they can't be cooled, become exposed and release radioactivity, leading to a meltdown. A meltdown is a severe nuclear power plant failure in which the reactor core is unable to properly cool, leading nuclear fuel assemblies to overheat and melt, potentially releasing radioactive materials into the environment.

Tokyo Electric Power Saturday vented radioactive vapour at five reactors between both plants to release building pressure.

On Friday the US Air Force, which has many bases in Japan, delivered coolant to a Japanese nuclear plant, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Friday, without specifying which plant.

Japan's Prime Minister Naoto Kan early Saturday visited Fukushima by helicopter to assess the situation.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/11/japan-declares-nuclear-emergency-quake

since this went a little tfh it reminded me of a post that i read in december....

Just had an interesting meal and 2 hour conversation with a random scientist from Switzerland.

He 'predicted' the Tsunami in Sumatra and Chile Earthquake on his website 2 months before each happened, to do with certain energy and has been in the field for many years. He is a friend of my landlord and a very rich man judging by his 23 bedroom house and 7 cars!

His predictions based on his Space Quantum Physics companies findings:

California 2011

Between June 11, 2011 and August 31, 2011.

Very heavy earthquakes with Magnitude 6.0 to 7.x are expected, triggered by a dangerous MERCURE - SUN - EARTH constellation on June 12, 2011 and by an even more dangerous VENUS - SUN - EARTH constellation on August 16, 2011.

Very heavy earthquakes with Magnitude 6.0 to 8.x are expected, triggered by a very dangerous JUPITER - SUN - EARTH constellation on May 13, 2012 and by a dangerous MERCURE - SUN - EARTH constellation on May 27, 2012 and by a more dangerous SUN - VENUS - EARTH constellation on June 6, 2012.

All these warnings are based on the discovery of the cosmic mechanical Supernova Energy on January 6, 2005 at the Institute for Space Quantum Physics in Switzerland and the new gravitational theory with cosmic mechanical Supernova Energy shock or pressure waves, discovered by Jean-Marie Hans Lehner.

Tsunami

Even worse, it is up to come in the time of March 20, 2011 to April 30, 2011.

During this time window, a even more massive tsunami near the equator line is expected, triggered by a very dangerous URANUS - SUN - EARTH constellation on March 21, 2011 and by an even more dangerous JUPITER - SUN - EARTH constellation on April 6, 2011, which will trigger very heavy earthquakes with magnitude 8.0 to 9.x in the equatorial regions.

The site of the scientist http://www.supernovae-energy.com/

if these meltdowns are occuring because the plants lost external power due to the earthquake, why cant it generate the power to power its own cooling system.

after all, it is a power plant...

Looks like everything goes into shutdown and closed position - maybe there was damage that prevented re-opening. Problem is even when the reactor is scrammed it still produces power. I don't know how you lose power at a nuclear site either - it is a situation that should NEVER happen, regardless of circumstances.

http://powertrends.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-shutdown-and-core-cooling-of.html#comment-form

Based on limited information, this is what I think might happen.

Earthquake hits, high vibration on the main turbine automatically trips the turbine by rapidly closing stop valves. Reactor automatically shuts down (scrams) all rods go in. Earthquake disrupts off site power to the plant and back up diesel generators should have started, maybe they did not. Main sources of water to the reactor are not available. If there is no pipe break off of the reactor, the pressure will slowly increase. After about an hour, a relief valve(1 of about 10) will open at about 1100 psig and drop pressure to about 1080. The steam is sent to a pool of water called a suppression pool in the containment that condenses the steam. This valve will cycle open and close every 5-10 minutes. Operators would use a small steam driven turbine (RCIC) to supply water at high pressure to the reactor under these circumstances for several hours. You can sit like this a long time, hot and at 1000 psig it’s no big deal as long as water covers the fuel in the reactor pressure vessel. If that turbine is not available, there is a larger steam driven turbine (HPCI) that supplies more water meant to provide make up if there was a pipe break. If neither of these systems is available, the relief valve will continue to cycle and reactor water level will slowly drop. At some point before the water level lowers to the point of uncovering the fuel, all the relief valves would be open (ADS) and pressure would be reduced to below 300 psig to allow the low pressure but high flow systems (CS & LPCI) to restore water level and cooling. These pumps however, need electricity, like from the diesel generators, to run. If things get this far but there is no injection, in US plants there are things like diesel fire pumps that can be tied in to provide alternate sources of water. I’m not sure if they are set up to do this in Japan. Without cooling, eventually the fuel temperature will exceed 2200 deg F and the clad will melt. Fission products that are highly radioactive will get dispersed into the reactor vessel. If there is a pipe break or relief valve open, those fission fragments get dispersed through containment.

Looks like everything goes into shutdown and closed position - maybe there was damage that prevented re-opening. Problem is even when the reactor is scrammed it still produces power. I don't know how you lose power at a nuclear site either - it is a situation that should NEVER happen, regardless of circumstances.

http://powertrends.b...ml#comment-form

Based on limited information, this is what I think might happen.

Earthquake hits, high vibration on the main turbine automatically trips the turbine by rapidly closing stop valves. Reactor automatically shuts down (scrams) all rods go in. Earthquake disrupts off site power to the plant and back up diesel generators should have started, maybe they did not. Main sources of water to the reactor are not available. If there is no pipe break off of the reactor, the pressure will slowly increase. After about an hour, a relief valve(1 of about 10) will open at about 1100 psig and drop pressure to about 1080. The steam is sent to a pool of water called a suppression pool in the containment that condenses the steam. This valve will cycle open and close every 5-10 minutes. Operators would use a small steam driven turbine (RCIC) to supply water at high pressure to the reactor under these circumstances for several hours. You can sit like this a long time, hot and at 1000 psig it's no big deal as long as water covers the fuel in the reactor pressure vessel. If that turbine is not available, there is a larger steam driven turbine (HPCI) that supplies more water meant to provide make up if there was a pipe break. If neither of these systems is available, the relief valve will continue to cycle and reactor water level will slowly drop. At some point before the water level lowers to the point of uncovering the fuel, all the relief valves would be open (ADS) and pressure would be reduced to below 300 psig to allow the low pressure but high flow systems (CS & LPCI) to restore water level and cooling. These pumps however, need electricity, like from the diesel generators, to run. If things get this far but there is no injection, in US plants there are things like diesel fire pumps that can be tied in to provide alternate sources of water. I'm not sure if they are set up to do this in Japan. Without cooling, eventually the fuel temperature will exceed 2200 deg F and the clad will melt. Fission products that are highly radioactive will get dispersed into the reactor vessel. If there is a pipe break or relief valve open, those fission fragments get dispersed through containment.

I suspect that the problem, if there is one, is that dealing with water or steam, under pressure, is that in order to inject, under pressure, the connections need to be pretty perfect.

If the Earthquake has damaged the connections, then in order to replace them to inject water, the reactor would be needed to be shut down, but here we may have a situation where the last resort...manual feeding in of water, is not possible as the connections are damaged.

I suspect that the problem, if there is one, is that dealing with water or steam, under pressure, is that in order to inject, under pressure, the connections need to be pretty perfect.

If the Earthquake has damaged the connections, then in order to replace them to inject water, the reactor would be needed to be shut down, but here we may have a situation where the last resort...manual feeding in of water, is not possible as the connections are damaged.

Should be backup gate valves / feed points for such an emergency - still seems a pretty basic issues - no power, no cooling water, just shouldn't happen.

Interesting vid....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=267e1c3Z1XQ

I havent said much lately, but i have to say, watching Obama earlier, condoling the Japanese on the quake and suddenly moving onto 'gas prices' made me sick.

How goddamn insensitive can one man be?

If Bush had done this, hell would be paid.

I thought offering to send in FEMA to help was more insulting.

I just signed into facebook to see if any of my peers were discussing said potential nuclear disaster. Nothing but vacuous ******** about the weather, people's breakfast, their drinking plans for the night and what to wear.

Our society is ******ed.

Our society is facebooked?

Oh christ, i looks like Reactor hall 1 has been destroyed, I guess that'll cause a massive radioactive leak as that's where the nuclear rods are stored!! This is Japans Chernobyl. :(:(:(:o

Edit, Sky news had a feed from a helecopter, the reactor on the left is just a metal skeleton!

Edited by Pauly_Boy

Oh christ, i looks like Reactor hall 1 has been destroyed, I guess that'll cause a massive radioactive leak as that's where the nuclear rods are stored!! This is Japans Chernobyl. :(:(:(:o

Edit, Sky news had a feed from a helecopter, the reactor on the left is just a metal skeleton!

we are sending a team of bankers to assess the situation and protect the system with synthetic investments based on the outcome. A shield of financial stability will protect all.

no need to worry.