House Price Crash Forum

Migrants Free To Claim Full Benefits

HOLA441

The government estimates that 100,000 may immediately claim this benefit. Given the government track record on previous estimates (13,000 Poles!) is it possible that the figure will be much higher. In addition is it not likely that many more will travel to the UK safe in the knowledge that they can get for free, more money than they could ever obtain through working in their home countries.

It seems to me that the most likely outcome is that demand for rented accommodation is going to go through the roof (pun intended).

If this happens I see the last hope of a serious house price correction disappearing.

With inflation rapidly eroding the value of savings and property readily available with a potential 3 to 5% rental yield it would seem that BTL is once again becoming a no brainer.

Someone please tell me why I am wrong

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Just to reaffirm that things are not as easy in Europe, in Spain you have to work before you get any benefits and then for a total of 6 months the government have just started to make ex gratia payments to the unemployed who have run out of benefit. This is not a permanent payment and no other benefits are given. Wake up England !!!]

HOLA443

I worked for the DWP for a few years a while back. We had Polish on the dole back in 2004 for sure, I recall putting one forward as he had requested for a one w/end only job working behind the bar of a function that if he got the job would have netted him 10 hours at minimum wage and no more. I had to do a 3 way call with the employer, polish dude and the interpreter (?big word @ £170 a pop) - he didn't get the job lol

another girl (polish) on our books

wanted to apply for a cherrypicker role :

me: do you have a cherrypicker license

bemused girl: you need a license to pick cherries ?

me: LMAO

Edited by tomposh101

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I worked for the DWP for a few years a while back. We had Polish on the dole back in 2004 for sure, I recall putting one forward as he had requested for a one w/end only job working behind the bar of a function [....]

[...snip...]

another girl (polish) on our books

wanted to apply for a cherrypicker role

But were they actually being paid Job Seekers Allowance? As EU nationals they can register with the JobCentre to look for work without any entitlement to out-of-work benefits.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

On the other hand, those from A8 and A2 who wanted to come here to claim benefits are already here and claiming, so it might not have any noticeable effect.

They had to work for a year (employed or self-employed) before qualifying for out-of-work benefits*. From this May A8 nationals can claim straight away.

* This was and will continue to be for self-employed A2 nationals (Romanians and Bulgarians) an overlooked incentive for them to take very poorly paid work for their first year here.

HOLA4410

"More than 100,000 Eastern European migrants will be able to claim tens of millions of pounds in benefits in Britain as the Government is forced to scrap safeguards imposed seven years ago. "

Nothing is being "scrapped". The rule has come to its natural end, just like everyone knew that it would seven years ago when they signed it

tim

HOLA4411

If you think it's bad now, wait until Turkey joins the EU.

Turkey wont be joining anytime soon. They could never afford the benefit payments they would be forced to make to their people, most of who are unemployed.

Turkey's an example of a country where the people manage just fine even though there is no benefits safety net.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

The problem is where does it all end and who also gets hurt , the people that have paid in for years and deserve their benefits. We sat on the phone and my friend said

" is there something happening here that we do not know ? what is going on ? where is this going ? what is the agenda ? "

I had no answers.

Does your friend not realise that questioning the logic is racist behaviour? They just need to shut up, put up and keep voting for Labour or the Conservatives. In fact, vote for anyone but the racist BNP as they are out to destroy our great country.

HOLA4415

Hard to see how the deficit will ever be cut with madness like this going on.

Better warm up the printing press as we've another big order to fill...

Exactly ,when I hear about nonsense like this I don't throw my hands up in the air, I rub them together. All they are doing is turbo charging the debt and pushing this country towards insolvency even quicker. The sooner that happens the sooner I win the golden jackpot and the sooner madness like this ends. It's win-win.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I work as an advisor at the CAB and so have some experience in this.

At the moment if you are from one of the A8 countries (East European) you have to have a year in work before you can claim out - of -work benefits (mainly JobSeekers allowance). You can claim in - work benefits (Tax credits child benefit etc) as soon as you start work.

This change will mean that A8 nationals will be able to claim JSA under the same rules as people from France, Germany etc( and for that matter, people born in the UK), that is you will have to pass the habitual residence test, ie you will have to show you have some permanent intention to be in the UK and seek work.

JSA comes in two types, income and contribution based, you get the latter for 6 months if you have paid the right NI in the last two years. The income - based JSA is means - tested over the whole family's income so generally if your partner is in -work you won't get it. If you get income - based JSA you can also get the interest paid on your mortgage and other benefits,

NOTE FOR NIT - PICKERS this is a quick summary. I know there are yet more rules!

HOLA4418
Guest eight

I work as an advisor at the CAB and so have some experience in this.

At the moment if you are from one of the A8 countries (East European) you have to have a year in work before you can claim out - of -work benefits (mainly JobSeekers allowance). You can claim in - work benefits (Tax credits child benefit etc) as soon as you start work.

This change will mean that A8 nationals will be able to claim JSA under the same rules as people from France, Germany etc( and for that matter, people born in the UK), that is you will have to pass the habitual residence test, ie you will have to show you have some permanent intention to be in the UK and seek work.

JSA comes in two types, income and contribution based, you get the latter for 6 months if you have paid the right NI in the last two years. The income - based JSA is means - tested over the whole family's income so generally if your partner is in -work you won't get it. If you get income - based JSA you can also get the interest paid on your mortgage and other benefits,

NOTE FOR NIT - PICKERS this is a quick summary. I know there are yet more rules!

I've asked this question before but never had it answered. Can I go and seek work in another country and claim UK Job Seeker's allowance? Why should I only be able to seek work in my country of birth whilst we not only have free movement of labour within the EU but actually pay JSA to people who come here to find work?

eight

HOLA4419

I've asked this question before but never had it answered. Can I go and seek work in another country and claim UK Job Seeker's allowance?

Yes, provided you have signed on with the Job Centre for four weeks before leaving AND are entiteld to contribution-based JSA on the day you leave AND will be looking for work in a European Economic Area country, then you can continue to claim JSA for up to three months.

'Britons living abroad':

http://www.direct.go...road/DG_4000102

Claiming when abroad

You must let your social security office (or Jobcentre or Jobcentre Plus office) know that you are going abroad. If it is only a temporary move, then give the date you are planning to come back.

Your entitlement to benefits abroad also depends on which country you are going to. If you are going to a European Economic Area (EEA) country or one with a social security agreement with the UK, you might get extra UK-based benefits. Or you might be able to get a benefit which that country provides.

[...snip...]

Jobseeker's Allowance

Information about contribution-based and income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) if you are moving or living abroad.

Contribution-based JSA

You cannot usually get contribution-based JSA outside the EEA. However, you may be able to get contribution-based JSA in the EEA for up to three months if you:

• are entitled to contribution-based JSA on the day you go abroad
  • have registered as a jobseeker for at least four weeks before you leave
  • are available for work and actively seeking work in Great Britain up to the day you leave
  • are going abroad to look for work
  • register for work at the equivalent of a Jobcentre in the country you are going to
  • comply with the other country's rules on registering and looking for work

Income-based JSA

If you are going abroad permanently you cannot get income-based JSA.

You cannot usually get income-based JSA if your stay abroad is only temporary.

Check with your local Jobcentre office if you need to fill in any forms before you go abroad.

Edited by CrashConnoisseur

HOLA4420

I agree.

I think immigrants should not have access to benefits until they have worked enough years to deserve this safety net, perhaps 5 to 10 years. (IIRC Denmark requires 7 years?)

This would remove the main argument from the racists and xenophobes. And would not affect the vast majority of immigrants, since most of them are here working and adding to the exchequer, and adding to our cultural life too.

Thank you!

I have been here for ten years in june, and during that time i have never claimed any benefits, and been in full time employment for all but one day (left one place of work on thursday, started new one on monday). Why shouldnt I be allowed to claim jsa if i were to lose my job? i've paid loads of tax during my ten years.

I bet most immigrants are in a similar position, at least all the europeans i know of are.

Edit: i agree that you should have to pay in before you can claim. The opposite is ludicrous!

Edited by Henrik

HOLA4421

The government estimates that 100,000 may immediately claim this benefit. Given the government track record on previous estimates (13,000 Poles!) is it possible that the figure will be much higher. In addition is it not likely that many more will travel to the UK safe in the knowledge that they can get for free, more money than they could ever obtain through working in their home countries.

It seems to me that the most likely outcome is that demand for rented accommodation is going to go through the roof (pun intended).

If this happens I see the last hope of a serious house price correction disappearing.

With inflation rapidly eroding the value of savings and property readily available with a potential 3 to 5% rental yield it would seem that BTL is once again becoming a no brainer.

I started a thread on this a few months ago. At the moment immigration roughly absorbs most of the annual housebuilding going on. Increasing population, especially more of an itinerant immigrant population, will be a significant prop to BTL and house prices. Prices will still fall, but not as fast or as far. Probably.

HOLA4422

Housing Benefit reforms as of April.

HOLA4423

I had a telephone conversation tonight . Friend who I used to work with goes into the Job centre in Dartford Kent to sign on . There were ten boths in the job centre with a member of staff behind each . In one both was the friend in another was a man speaking English . The other eight had all had a person in them plus an interpreter .

Yep the country will never been the same, now they've got these benifits they will never leave this country to go back to the likes of poland.

HOLA4424

Thank you!

I have been here for ten years in june, and during that time i have never claimed any benefits, and been in full time employment for all but one day (left one place of work on thursday, started new one on monday). Why shouldnt I be allowed to claim jsa if i were to lose my job? i've paid loads of tax during my ten years.

I bet most immigrants are in a similar position, (...)

Edit: i agree that you should have to pay in before you can claim. The opposite is ludicrous!

You're welcome. It is all just common sense actually, and fairness.

(...) at least all the europeans i know of are. (...)

<sigh>

Oh, not you too Henrik? I hope you don't call them "svartskalle"!

HOLA4425

You're welcome. It is all just common sense actually, and fairness.

<sigh>

Oh, not you too Henrik? I hope you don't call them "svartskalle"!

Well, no, actually that part can be safely deleted. I thought for a sec that i only knew europeans, but actually its just occured to me that im married to a non european, and actuall i work with a whole bunch who arent :)

My statement should thus be that i know of no immigrant who has come here to claim benefits. I know of one bout of unemployment, but the gentleman is now back to work.