House Price Crash Forum
Charlie The Tramp Returns

Migrants Free To Claim Full Benefits

Oh well no problem up goes the deficit so George will have to think again. :rolleyes:

More than 100,000 Eastern European migrants will be able to claim tens of millions of pounds in benefits in Britain as the Government is forced to scrap safeguards imposed seven years ago. The ending of the restrictions on access to key benefits will happen within weeks as ministers have conceded that they are powerless to prevent the change. The migrants, from countries including Poland and the Czech Republic, will become eligible to claim jobseeker’s allowance, council tax benefit and housing benefit from May, when a special scheme introduced under EU rules in 2004 is abolished. The admission comes as latest figures show a rise in the number of migrants from former Soviet bloc states seeking work in Britain There is nervousness in Whitehall about the impact on the benefits bill and the potential for abuse once the restrictions end.

Let`s print more money

No, just cap benefits - including tax credits - below min wage. Tax breaks as well.

This state has always thrived on immigration, we just need to reverse the incentive and attract people who produce something other than leeches.

Completely within the state's authority - and every other state in the Schengen agreement. But all states need to keep the fraud accumulating.

ps. leeches includes non-doms and bankers.

No, just cap benefits - including tax credits - below min wage. Tax breaks as well.

This state has always thrived on immigration, we just need to reverse the incentive and attract people who produce something other than leeches.

Completely within the state's authority - and every other state in the Schengen agreement. But all states need to keep the fraud accumulating.

ps. leeches includes non-doms and bankers.

I was just treated to an "award winning" BBC film following Afghan/Pakistanis being smuggled into the UK on a professional smuggling network set up by criminal gangs throughout the Middle East.

It's almost as though our Establishment are encouraging these people to do this - just coz they don't like their lot in their own country.

Alternatively, native chavs' benefits could be cut on the basis that it will discourage the East Europeans from coming :-)

indeed

this may be subtle manipulation of the media by Cameron and co. in order to severly limit benefits in future without the attendant public outrage

I had a telephone conversation tonight . Friend who I used to work with goes into the Job centre in Dartford Kent to sign on . There were ten boths in the job centre with a member of staff behind each . In one both was the friend in another was a man speaking English . The other eight had all had a person in them plus an interpreter .

I had a telephone conversation tonight . Friend who I used to work with goes into the Job centre in Dartford Kent to sign on . There were ten boths in the job centre with a member of staff behind each . In one both was the friend in another was a man speaking English . The other eight had all had a person in them plus an interpreter .

this is where the labour working class vote (as opposed to the labour metropolitan middle class vote) can side with the benefits cuts agenda of the current govt

this is where the labour working class vote (as opposed to the labour metropolitan middle class vote) can side with the benefits cuts agenda of the current govt

The problem is where does it all end and who also gets hurt , the people that have paid in for years and deserve their benefits. We sat on the phone and my friend said

" is there something happening here that we do not know ? what is going on ? where is this going ? what is the agenda ? "

I had no answers.

Quite simple only way to get any benefits is to have 3-5 years Nat insurance contributions already made, for 16-21 year olds in full time education or training token NI contributions are made , so kids bailing out of school at 16 get nothing and immigrants get nothing till they have worked for 3 years, don't really see any downside and a lot of upside...

as ministers have conceded that they are powerless to prevent the change

Which cannot be true. I moved over to France, I cannot claim any benefits at all. I cannot even use the health service without paying the full costs. If they can do it in France, they can do it in the UK. They just don't want to.

The problem is where does it all end and who also gets hurt , the people that have paid in for years and deserve their benefits. We sat on the phone and my friend said

" is there something happening here that we do not know ? what is going on ? where is this going ? what is the agenda ? "

I had no answers.

I agree.

I think immigrants should not have access to benefits until they have worked enough years to deserve this safety net, perhaps 5 to 10 years. (IIRC Denmark requires 7 years?)

This would remove the main argument from the racists and xenophobes. And would not affect the vast majority of immigrants, since most of them are here working and adding to the exchequer, and adding to our cultural life too.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

It took two months and a legal aid solicitor to get my income based jsa, that's after twenty years of tax and NI contributions. All because I have retained my USA passport.

The job centre will happily deny all knowledge of your NI contributions, which you have to prove, so keep your wageslips!

It is weird that new immigrants do not appear to suffer this problem.

It took two months and a legal aid solicitor to get my income based jsa, that's after twenty years of tax and NI contributions. All because I have retained my USA passport.

The job centre will happily deny all knowledge of your NI contributions, which you have to prove, so keep your wageslips!

It is weird that new immigrants do not appear to suffer this problem.

Just tell them you are Albanian that should do the trick!

This is very good news.

They can turn their noses up at low wages like native Brits and live on the dole.

They will not be forced to work in the food factories on wages which are so low that they struggle to afford food.

Wage inflation, here we go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjG0qbKjRK4

+1

Given the amount of Eastern Europeans living rough in this country, it seems even their wage demands are already becoming far too steep for our low wage economy.

Given the amount of number of Eastern Europeans living rough in this country, it seems even their wage demands are already becoming far too steep for our low wage economy.

Yes, it's a myth that they find jobs easy to obtain. Even at the height of the boom unemployment amongst 'hard-working' Eastern European migrants was higher than for British people....

'Unemployment among Eastern Europeans higher than Britons, says bank report' [April 2007]:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23392324-unemployment-among-eastern-europeans-higher-than-britons-says-bank-report.do

Unemployment among the eastern Europeans who have flooded into Britain is significantly higher than for people born here, a report by the Bank of England has revealed.

Some 6.9 per cent of female migrants say they are out of work, compared to only 3.9 per cent of British women - almost double the unemployment rate.

For men, 5.1 per cent of Britons are out of work, compared to 6.1 per cent of eastern Europeans.

The figures, compiled by Professor David Blanchflower of the bank's Monetary Policy Committee, challenge the Government's repeated claim the new arrivals are all hard-working and have no interest in taking advantage of the welfare state.

While immigrants are banned from making a claim for JobSeeker's Allowance when they first arrive, any migrants who complete 12 months in paid employment assume the same rights as Britons.

Where did Times dig this one out? A8 citizens could always claim benefits, that's part of the reason why there's so many of them here. It was Bulgarians and Romanians who could not. Some of my Polish friends say that wages in Poland are now better and most of those not leaving, mostly single mums with several children, are not doing so because of the free house that they get.

On a side note, claiming benefits once within the qualifying period means that one's no more legible to apply for permanent residence.