House Price Crash Forum

House Prices To Fall To 2004 Levels - Telegraph

OLDFTB

HOLA441

why are the media and posters so obsessed with forecasts from institutions that couldn't forecast tomorrow's weather if they had the met office on the phone?

+1. After monitoring these things for years, the predictions just aren't worth the paper they are written on. It's just easy fodder for newspapers to write about.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

House prices this year will plunge as much as 10pc to their lowest level since 2004 after suffering a far sharper decline than expected last month, economists have warned

"Such sharp declines would outstrip the official forecast for a 2.7pc decline in 2011, and roughly match forecasts by National Institute of Economic and Social Research (NIESR) that "real" house prices, after accounting for inflation, would still be at 2003 levels in 2015"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/constructionandproperty/8251318/House-prices-to-fall-to-2004-levels.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They mean 2000 Prices then :lol:

HOLA445

why are the media and posters so obsessed with forecasts from institutions that couldn't forecast tomorrow's weather if they had the met office on the phone?

+1

The average person on this forum has more of a grasp of economics than many of these so called economists. It's almost comical how they simply parrot whatever appears to be the prevailing direction of the argument on that particular day. :lol:

I'm only interested in hard facts.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Oh and I agree - 2004 prices still way too high.

+1

They were always going to fall by at least that much.

1998 prices is the time to buy. ;)

HOLA4410

What is your timeframe for buying, guys... 2, 3 years time?

I think we can safely say this market moves so slowly that picking a good buy-in price should be easy. Just be patient, have a hefty deposit ready, and be sure you can prove income etc.

I'm in no rush, but would guess about 18 months yet before things look affordable imho.

HOLA4411

My rent is currently 35% of an I/O mortgage on the property I live in (assuming a decent deposit).

When that changes I might think about buying again, but I certainly won't be going near property again until interest rates are 'normal' again.

Buckers

Spot on and same situation for me. Just the interest on a mortgage on the house I live in would be more than double of what I pay in rent. It makes no sense at all.

Needless to say, my landlord is scared shitless, and will have to fork out a few grand to repair all gutters which were damaged by the snow.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Prices at 2004 levels are nothing to get excited about because even back then they were insanely high. In 2004 a mid-terrace in a town in the south I monitor would sell at 140k. In 2007 maybe 190k. The problem we have is that the house was worth no more than 75k in 2004, and not much more today. Going back to 2004 prices is not good enough by a long chalk.

Totally agree.

HOLA4414

Well everyone can either wait for the crash or make the crash happen, I bought in Oct 2008 for 25% off asking price, borrowed 3.5 times my one income (excluding O/T bonus) popped down 20% deposit that was saved during renting a lovely dump (honestly I loved the place) with no heating/carpets etc. The house (3 bed semi off road parking etc) I bought was 165,500 (original price) to 122,500 (sold to me price).

Got 25 year repayment.

The chronology of the transaction does not matter, the price is what matters.

Back in my part of the country back at market top, there were 15 sellers for every buyer.

That's pretty much carte blance to do offer what the hell you want.

Never pay over the odds.

Never buy stuff you don't need.

If you need it, save for it.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Half the banks have already been 'brought down' their existence is just an extended illusion brought to by HMG

sooner or later they will disappear, it's inevitable. take steps to protect yourself and your family

The entire banking industry including the fiat currentcy system, has ALWAYS been an illusion - from the outset... :angry:

Greed has blinded people to the whole charade.

Those that know just play the game, as we can't physically exist outside of it.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

CALM DOWN DEAR, IT'S JUST SPECULATION

Seriously I think some posters are getting a bit over excited about this. It is after all, a prediction. One that sounds like the predictions we were hearing in 2009.

No, it sounds like the predictions we were hearing in 2001/2/3/4/5/6/7, just the other way around

HOLA4423

All this media gloom might start fan the flames and cause a much bigger fall. A couple of interest rate increases will cause the beast to gain real momentum. Unemployment may rival US levels the way things are going. I wouldn't buy a property in Britain even with a 15% discount at the moment. When do you decide to catch a falling knife? 20%? 30%? In California they've had over 50% falls in some places and it's only just bottoming out. Fancy that! :huh:

At some point you have to make the decision to jump on. 20% seems very reasonable to me as we are still a fair bit below the peaks of 2007. I really hope we get some solid moves down in 2011 and I will look to move this time next year.

California is probably not a great comparator as it really became insane. There is so much land available that there was an inexhaustible supply of land to build houses on. As the price of land did not increase much, and nor did the cost of building a house, the bubble really was insane.

Our situation is much closer to Japan's - a fairly crowded island and booming economy leading to a debt-fuelled property bubble. All the same, land prices there have pretty much halved in Japan over the last 20 years.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Our situation is much closer to Japan's - a fairly crowded island and booming economy leading to a debt-fuelled property bubble. All the same, land prices there have pretty much halved in Japan over the last 20 years.

Yep, and the reason they halved is because people got poorer

Same as here.

Doesn't matter about the lack of land, only how much people can pay for it