House Price Crash Forum

Woman Announces Suicide On Facebook

Britney's Piers

HOLA441
A woman posted a chilling suicide note on Facebook - prompting sickening messages from her online friends.

Before taking her life on Christmas Day, Simone Back, 42, updated her status saying: 'Took all my pills be dead soon bye bye everyone.'

But none of the 1,048 friends she had on the social networking site even attempted to contact her in person to stop her.

Today Miss Back's devastated mother has asked why no-one helped.

Instead of trying to save her, some so-called friends mocked her in cruel messages under her tragic final status update.

One called her a liar and another said it was 'her choice'.

Seventeen hours later, police broke down the door of her flat in Brighton and found her dead.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1344281/Facebook-suicide-None-Simone-Backs-1-048-online-friends-helped-her.html#ixzz1AArLDS2e

Nice friends :huh:

There's something really desperate and sad about the way society functions today.

HOLA442

I wouldnt imagine that anyone who might have been well-adjusted enough to intervene in an yway would have been on FB on Christmas day. They'd have been busy with real friends and family.....

Which leads to an interesting question. Is there an inverse relationship between number of 'friends' on FB and number of 'real' friends? What's the r-squared of the slope?

HOLA443
HOLA444

I wouldnt imagine that anyone who might have been well-adjusted enough to intervene in an yway would have been on FB on Christmas day. They'd have been busy with real friends and family.....

Which leads to an interesting question. Is there an inverse relationship between number of 'friends' on FB and number of 'real' friends? What's the r-squared of the slope?

I reckon I have about 4 friends at the last count.

Friends I class as people who would drop everything if I was in trouble.

I know a few more people, but I would call them acquaintances.

I'm not on FB.

(I am quite happy)

HOLA445

As per usual they have been a little sensationalist with the truth.

Miss Back's horrified mother, Jennifer Langridge, who called 999 after someone finally texted her about her daughter's online suicide note

While some Facebook friends from out of town begged online for her address and telephone number so they could get help, none of those who lived closer did anything to help.

Headline - None of her 1,048 online friends help.

:rolleyes:

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I guess the surprising thing is that nobody took her seriously. I expect if they had, they would have done something about it. Maybe she had a history of making dramatic threats like this and people thought she was just being attention-seeking.

HOLA4411

Yea it's years old for Internet die-hards. Things we all realised yonks back and people are only getting now, friends made soley on the Internet don't count for squat until/if you actually meet the person in real life as well.

HOLA4412

Sad but she wasn't doing herself any favours by going on facebook if she was depressed.

Friends cost 15 cents each in bulk, you can get a thousand for $150

Edit:

http://usocial.net/facebook_marketing/

LIMITED DISCOUNT -- 250,000 targeted facebook fans... For just $9997 $8997.30 (only until 16JAN11), we'll deliver 250,000 targeted and real fans to your new or existing Facebook account in no time at all -- only $9997 $8997.30! Monthly payment plans available.

NOTE: Targeting can be specified by either country or industry/interest group. Please email us after placing your order with your fan page URL as well as information regarding targeting. Order begins delivery within 7 days.

LIMITED DISCOUNT -- 20 million targeted facebook fans... For packages of 500,000 real, targeted Facebook fans, price can vary based on your requirements and delivery times. Please contact us immediately

HOLA4413

I once posted on Facebook that I was getting married the next day. In a similar fashion, not one of my friends stepped in.

:lol:

I've seen a pic of your bird - I would have happily stepped in :D

For 10 seconds or so.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Sadly this phenomenon isn't confined to the Internet. Coincidentally I recently read about Kitty Genovese who was murdered in the US in the 1960s. About a dozen people witnessed or heard parts of the attack but no one helped. The more people who are around the less chance anyone will act- a kind of group mentality emerges with everone waiting for someone to step inand take charge. This effect was studied by two social psychologists Latané and Darley who successfully replicated it in experiments with someone faking a seizure on a New York street. Amazingly the chances of someone helping decreased as the numbers of passers by increased. It's discussed at length in Richard Wiseman's book "59 seconds".

With 1000+ friends this tragedy seems to be a modern version of what is known as the bystander effect or Genovese syndrome.

HOLA4416

To be fair, she's a good wife. I'd prefer it if you didn't bone her - I have read your wants on fetish threads!

To be honest if I did she probably wouldn't even notice !!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I did read that one of the subsequent posters suggested that she had posted like this more than once before. No idea if it's true, and certainly not going to friend her to find out... However, there was a story that used to be told about a boy who cried wolf. One that I don't think is used very much these days due in part to the number of people having 'play' fights out in the street, or shouting 'help' in the middle of the night without really meaning it.

Archived