House Price Crash Forum

Can't Home "owners" Afford A Full Tank Of Petrol Any More?!

HOLA441

The ultra miling guys have something to say about this (they remove almost everything bar the driver seat and controls from their cars!) In that 1 litre of petrol weighs about 720grammes. Therefore if you stick in 50 litres you are carrying an extra 36 kilos around with you if you have a full tank compared to fumes.

are there any losses from evaporation in a half empty tank ? :ph34r:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Sure, not all. But these people looked like the "leveraged" type. I am not sure why. "Demographics" perhaps? Do no.

Are you serious? How can you tell? Is there a particular odour or do people with debt walk funny?

Sure, not all. But these people looked like the "leveraged" type. I am not sure why. "Demographics" perhaps? Do no.

;)

HOLA445

are there any losses from evaporation in a half empty tank ? :ph34r:

Actually yes, which is why a lot of people advise you to fill up first thing in the morning as it is colder. petrol pumps are calibrated by volume or something colder air means less evaporation and you get about 2p more each time.

HOLA446

The ultra miling guys have something to say about this (they remove almost everything bar the driver seat and controls from their cars!) In that 1 litre of petrol weighs about 720grammes. Therefore if you stick in 50 litres you are carrying an extra 36 kilos around with you if you have a full tank compared to fumes.

Where's cells to tell us we should haul round 200kgs of water in the car to heat up with the excess engine heat to dump at home later to save on our heating bills.

There you go ToW, she's taken cells advice and filled her tank with water so only room for 10 quid of fuel.

HOLA447

Is it a supermarket? Lots of people won't put supermarket fuel in their cars as it often has the unleaded has higher levels of bioethanol. Could have been nearly empty and needed just enough to get him to a decent Shell garage for some V-Power 99.

This was a Shell. On the same A road, in less than 5 miles there is also an Esso, a Sainsbury and a Tesco.

HOLA448

Funny, I saw a lovely looking girl getting into an M class down in Poole on sunday, she had on the biggest fur coat I'd ever seen, however as she moved her legs in it slipped to reveal she was wearing no knickers. :ph34r:

Edited by GBdamo

HOLA449

+1

'Pulse and Glide' man :D

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/12/boat-tail-geo-metro/

HOLA4410

Actually yes, which is why a lot of people advise you to fill up first thing in the morning as it is colder. petrol pumps are calibrated by volume or something colder air means less evaporation and you get about 2p more each time.

I guess theres something in that.

Filling up when the fuel is cold does mean you get more for your money. Since the fuel is denser at colder temperatures you get more mass per unit volume and since the energy content of the fuel is dependant on the mass not the volume, then you're getting more for your money. Just make sure you dont then park in the sun as the fuel might expand and overflow and be wasted.

Regarding filling up or keeping the tank emptier, there must be a trade off between the weight saved and hence better consumption and the fuel used in braking, pulling into the filling station and driving off again when putting in a smaller amount more frequently.

Also, keeping the tank nearly empty means the tank is full of air so more water is produced through condensation in the tank (think what your windscreen looks like on a dewy morning at this time of year - well the inside of your petrol tank looks like that too - unless its full of petrol, of course.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

my wife's car is ALWAYS on fumes. She doesn't have any money issues - she just knows that so long as she puts in enough to get home, then muggins will fill it up.

The car I am using at the moment is never filled - it's a loan car as mine is in their garage and they can't tell me when I am getting it back, so why would I top it up and lose that ?

Maybe this was a car dealer's wife or she was a car dealer, they never fill them either....

far too many reasons that they might not be filling it up, but if you want to believe that they are all destitute and it helps you sleep, then it's true....

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

my wife's car is ALWAYS on fumes. She doesn't have any money issues - she just knows that so long as she puts in enough to get home, then muggins will fill it up.

The car I am using at the moment is never filled - it's a loan car as mine is in their garage and they can't tell me when I am getting it back, so why would I top it up and lose that ?

Maybe this was a car dealer's wife or she was a car dealer, they never fill them either....

far too many reasons that they might not be filling it up, but if you want to believe that they are all destitute and it helps you sleep, then it's true....

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=152715&view=findpost&p=2745285

HOLA4416

I always have a sh1t before a long journey for precisely this reason. Saves a fortune.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I always fill my car up because visiting a petrol station is not the most pleasant of experiences, so I prefer to go as little as possible.

Also does anyone else find that their car runs better on a full tank?

Ditto

If you don't fill up very frequently then yes, your (petrol) car will run better on a full tank because the fuel is fresher and therefore less degraded.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

E=1/2 m v^2

why waste energy lugging around all that extra mass from a full petrol tank?

Why waste energy driving to a petrol station, sitting in a queue with your engine running, stopping the engine, starting the engine, driving out of the petrol station 3 times more than you have to?

Edit: Not to mention the extra wear and tear on the car.

Edited by fellow

HOLA4422

Nope. Just that petrol is at record levels, and that you can afford it. Like I can too. But it looks like many people can't, despite driving expensive cars.

Got it now? :)

Putting less fuel in when you visit the petrol station is one of those daft things people do when they feel hard up. The only good reason for doing that is if you only have a ten or twenty on you or it's nearly pay day. Otherwise it's pointless. You drive your car when you have to and you don't save anything by buying fuel in £20's. If time is money then you save time by filling right up and going there less often. It doesn't cost you one single penny more. In fact you save a few pence by not driving there.

HOLA4423

A lot of people just have a habit of putting £20 or so in - if they're passing regularly, it might be part of their routine of popping in for bits and pieces if it has a shop.

Personally, I hate filling up so usually wait until it's well in the red and then fill up completely.

I've got one of those constant mpg indicators on my dash, had the car since March, filled up 4x I think, might be 3x now... £50-60 a time. I get 58mpg.

I do think of every journey I make in terms of it costing me 10p/mile and up to 10p/mile for other running costs though, just because I have a compulsion to count things :)

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

You don't know they aren't filling up without first knowing how much was in the car when they started. I knew a woman once who genuinely believed that if you made more stops and refilled more often it worked out cheaper because you spent less per visit to a petrol station. 'a full tank is 40 pounds! I only spend about 15 a time this way'.

Someone gave her a mortgage.

That's exactly the sort of people they loved giving mortgages too. "What? 30 years of drone slavery to buy a one-bed flat? Sure, where do I sign".