House Price Crash Forum

Lovely Summers

noddage

HOLA441

Do us Brits take our eye off the ball when big things are happening because it's lovely out?

Biographical reports of 1914 and 1939 always feature the lovely summer: "We thought it would never end. But unbeknownst to us, storm clouds were gathering...etc, etc".

Is this going to be one of those summers?

HOLA442

North Korea and South Korea to commence war this summer. China steps in. All breaks loose, and most countries see the opportunity to bury their debt woes. World War III begins.

100% guaranteed!

HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest The Relaxation Suite

North Korea and South Korea to commence war this summer. China steps in. All breaks loose, and most countries see the opportunity to bury their debt woes. World War III begins.

100% guaranteed!

Small wars are much more expensive than big wars, as well.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Do us Brits take our eye off the ball when big things are happening because it's lovely out?

Biographical reports of 1914 and 1939 always feature the lovely summer: "We thought it would never end. But unbeknownst to us, storm clouds were gathering...etc, etc".

Not according to this UKMETO model for the end of May beginning of June

Rukm1441.gif

GFS predictions for early June are not much better.

Enjoy the warmth while it lasts and pray the models are wrong.

HOLA447
Guest The Relaxation Suite

Rukm1441.gif

Either way the UK starts getting cold again in 15 weeks' time so even if it's a belter, it's only a micro-belter, and then back to the fog and rain.

HOLA448
Guest Noodle

Anyone got the number for The Samaritans, because begeezus if a lot of people here don't need to pick up a phone.

Seriously now, if you're depressed please get some help, start with your GP.

Lights at ends of tunnels and wotnots.

HOLA449

Let's hope so. Lovely summer, eye off the ball, systemic financial collapse and gold funded retirement come September. YEAH BABY!!!

HOLA4410

Anyone got the number for The Samaritans, because begeezus if a lot of people here don't need to pick up a phone.

Seriously now, if you're depressed please get some help, start with your GP.

Lights at ends of tunnels and wotnots.

No! There's no depression here. 1914 and 1939 were really, really lovely summers.

And lets hope for another this year. We can worry about all the awful stuff in late autumn.

After all, you can't have a war until the Michaelmas Daisies come out.

HOLA4411
Guest Noodle

No! There's no depression here. 1914 and 1939 were really, really lovely summers.

And lets hope for another this year. We can worry about all the awful stuff in late autumn.

After all, you can't have a war until the Michaelmas Daisies come out.

Better!

Now careful turn this into a horticulture thread . . . avoid Titchmarsh clips, make anyone a bit down.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

1976 was the best summer in decades. Surely the world should have ended then?

we had a heatwave in 2003 as well.

I remember because we were in Florida and it rained non-stop while we watched footage of Londoners wading through the Trafalgar Square fountains. :(

HOLA4418

God I hope not. In 1914 and 1939, the country had young people who were prepared to stand up and fight for what was right. In 2010 it has young people that blame everyone else for what is wrong.

HOLA4419

Rukm1441.gif

What temperature scale is that? The numbers on the right don't correlate to anything I know.

HOLA4420

God I hope not. In 1914 and 1939, the country had young people who were prepared to stand up and fight for what was right. In 2010 it has young people that blame everyone else for what is wrong.

:lol:

Conscription i.e. a slave army doth not make people prepared to stand up and fight,

Saying they are is like London a few years ago, where the police asked for voluntary help and for black men to give their DNA, if they refused they were arrested.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

What temperature scale is that? The numbers on the right don't correlate to anything I know.

Not a temperature but geopotential height of 500 hpa level

the lower the geopotential 500mb height - the colder the air is likely to be at that height and the greens and blues also indicate the presence of low pressure at that level or an uppper low. Geopotential height is measured in gpdm - short for geopotential decameters (528 gpdm = 5800m asl).

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/46373-understanding-500-hpa-charts/page__view__findpost__p__1212343

HOLA4424
1976 was the best summer in decades. Surely the world should have ended then?

That was the best summer I can remember - unless you happened to be a lawn, then it can't have been much fun! I was working out of doors that year and the heat, sunshine and dryness was relentless. The stormclouds did gather, though, literally. The drought ended with thunderstorms.

HOLA4425
Guest X-QUORK

we had a heatwave in 2003 as well.

I remember because we were in Florida and it rained non-stop while we watched footage of Londoners wading through the Trafalgar Square fountains. :(

We were on our honeymoon in the south of France during that heatwave, the one that killed thousands in Paris. We were there for two weeks and every day the temp was 40C+, the nights around 28C. Did I choose:

a. Air conditioned villa with pool

b. Charming rustic oven without aircon and a pool

Luckily our little Clio hire car had aircon otherwise we'd have possibly died.

Archived