House Price Crash Forum

Just Paid £1 Off My Mortgage With 2p I've Found On The Floor

HOLA441

I'm now feeling flush this week.....

Son lost his annual bus pass at weekend. Didn't take out the replacement fee when he purchased in August, so a year's travel almost down the drain. Cost - 240€.

Called the bus co. on Monday and they said that it had been found on a bus and handed to the driver. They had it at their HQ. He picked it up this morning.

So, I'm up around 200€ today and it's only Tuesday :))

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
On 21/11/2016 at 8:45 PM, interestrateripoff said:

It's been a good few weeks found around £5.  Last few days have been good found £1 Friday, £1 Sat and £1 today.

Do people pick up coins off the floor anymore?  I walked past a 20p the other day while walking my dog and later came back the same way only to see it still there and forget brown money, when was the last time you saw someone pleased to find 2p?  As a kid every penny counted and 20p was like, well a bag of 1/2p sweets, one of those, one of them, one of those, and a chocolate mouse thanks.

Bitcoin, well can't think i'll find many of them on the street :rolleyes:

Edited by giggler000

HOLA445
8 minutes ago, giggler000 said:

Do people pick up coins off the floor anymore?  I walked past a 20p the other day while walking my dog and later came back the same way only to see it still there and forget brown money, when was the last time you saw someone pleased to find 2p?  As a kid every penny counted and 20p was like, well a bag of 1/2p sweets, one of those, one of them, one of those, and a chocolate mouse thanks.

Bitcoin, well can't think i'll find many of them on the street :rolleyes:

I certainly do.  Not to proud to pick 1p up off the floor.

HOLA446
10 minutes ago, wish I could afford one said:

I certainly do.  Not to proud to pick 1p up off the floor.

Ditto. I think I've had 30p in total this week, mostly copper.

I have found notes in the past too; three fivers rolled up together when I was a student, and a few years later two twenties within a week of each other! Nothing quite so exciting for years though...

HOLA447
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA448
HOLA449
5 hours ago, rantnrave said:

Found nearly £4 over the last week - bit of a Santa rally that's pushed me comfortably over £50 for the year.

You must live among the rich and feckless.

I've found nothing lately, but I did get two free pallets off a bloke after stopping to watch a biker's funeral.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Lockers at my health club take a pound coin but then refund it. There are lots of one-time visitors (it's in a hotel) and perhaps they are not so familiar with how the lockers work. It's quite amazing the number of pound coins I find. For a while I was systematically searching the empty lockers but it's too much trouble and anyway I felt vaguely guilty. The staff probably not that well paid so I leave any good luck for them. 

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
12 minutes ago, interestrateripoff said:

Ive finished about 70 quid up. Decided to put my findings now to buying sovereigns. 

I hope you are not going to waste all those years of honing your eyesight to trawl the pavements by giving up?

That would be like Bradley Wiggins selling his bike and buying a car.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I read through this whole thread last night. Very enjoyable and entertaining! Also got some tips for finding lost coins so I'll try and hone my skills.

My son never empties his pockets so I always do well there before they go in the machine, sometimes one or more pound coins in a haul.

Living in a small rural town I haven't found many dropped coins on the pavements but I can try to do better by going to the type of places tipped on the thread. Also I'll pay more attention to sides of pavements! It would be fun for me to go to nearby Carlisle to see how I do in a city. 

Someone mentioned being given a penny found by someone to pass on luck. This happened to me last year. I wondered what the woman was doing when she passed me a penny she picked up and gave it to me for luck. There'll be none of that from me. I'll be keeping what I find thank you very much! 

Finders keepers IMO if you haven't seen who dropped the money. ?

HOLA4420
21 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

I read through this whole thread last night. Very enjoyable and entertaining! Also got some tips for finding lost coins so I'll try and hone my skills.

My son never empties his pockets so I always do well there before they go in the machine, sometimes one or more pound coins in a haul.

Living in a small rural town I haven't found many dropped coins on the pavements but I can try to do better by going to the type of places tipped on the thread. Also I'll pay more attention to sides of pavements! It would be fun for me to go to nearby Carlisle to see how I do in a city. 

Someone mentioned being given a penny found by someone to pass on luck. This happened to me last year. I wondered what the woman was doing when she passed me a penny she picked up and gave it to me for luck. There'll be none of that from me. I'll be keeping what I find thank you very much! 

I would appreciate a summary of key tips EE.  I've filled this thread on and off but can't remember the tips.

mind I never see notes.  Partner on the other hand seems to find a note every time they venture out.  Perhaps there is something I'm not being told. 

HOLA4421
53 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

LOL :D

HOLA4422
1 hour ago, One-percent said:

I would appreciate a summary of key tips EE.  I've filled this thread on and off but can't remember the tips.

mind I never see notes.  Partner on the other hand seems to find a note every time they venture out.  Perhaps there is something I'm not being told. 

Places:- Bus stops, lockers in gym/swimming pool, vending machines, ice cream vans, pubs, parks

Skill: IRRO is the expert on technique and he may post a reminder much more eloquently than me but the gist is you train your eyes to scan gutters and grass verges on pavements. Like any skill practice, practice, practice will improve performance.

Laughed out loud several times when reading the whole thread last night. Recommended for an hours escapism. Plus it's inspired me to fill a down in the dumps day with a city trip for coin hunting. I've never found any notes but there's always a first time ?

HOLA4423
20 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Places:- Bus stops, lockers in gym/swimming pool, vending machines, ice cream vans, pubs, parks

Skill: IRRO is the expert on technique and he may post a reminder much more eloquently than me but the gist is you train your eyes to scan gutters and grass verges on pavements. Like any skill practice, practice, practice will improve performance.

Laughed out loud several times when reading the whole thread last night. Recommended for an hours escapism. Plus it's inspired me to fill a down in the dumps day with a city trip for coin hunting. I've never found any notes but there's always a first time ?

Excellent thank you.  You need to wander about with my partner.  Takes the dog for a walk and comes back with some folding stuff.  Me, I follow the kids from school and pick up a bit of spare copper. 

HOLA4424

I've just thought of a possible coin finding place that hasn't been mentioned. I like to look in second hand furniture shops. It's not out of place to lift the cushions and have a scout around couches and chairs for pickings....just checking the ....ahem.... soundness of the furniture! This would also work in the likes of DFS.

Lots of people sitting down trying the seats!

Also drive through windows for MacDonald, Costa etc. Potential there perhaps

?

HOLA4425
3 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

I've just thought of a possible coin finding place that hasn't been mentioned. I like to look in second hand furniture shops. It's not out of place to lift the cushions and have a scout around couches and chairs for pickings....just checking the ....ahem.... soundness of the furniture! This would also work in the likes of DFS.

Lots of people sitting down trying the seats!

Also drive through windows for MacDonald, Costa etc. Potential there perhaps

?

I like it. :)  dfs, you need to,focus on the settees that are low and fling you back into them. More opportunity for money in pockets rolling out.  

Second hand shops, I would guess those working in them are already savvy to where money is hidden.

perhaps take up a new career as a piano restorer?  A usual hiding place for stash