House Price Crash Forum

Rightmove March +0.9%

HOLA441
http://uk.reuters.com/article/domesticNews...16?rpc=401&
Asking prices for houses in England and Wales were 9.0 percent lower than a year ago this month,

slightly less than February's record 9.1 percent annual drop, property website Rightmove said on Monday.

Average asking prices rose by 0.9 percent in March, less than the usual increase for the time of year,

and new listings were 57 percent lower than last year at 79,000, Rightmove said.

Well done that poster.

Rightmove figures are not seasonally adjusted.

With seasonal adjustment, the figures show a drop.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Yep, home owners can ask what they want for a house, however that doesnt mean that they willl get it.

How many buyers do you know that can lay there hands on 20k or even 40k as a deposit? - probably hardly anyone.

Except those that STRd months ago.

So, yes prices are going up (according to Rightmove), but only through desperation.

Real life suggests otherwise.

Strange logic.

HOLA445
So the EA says asking prices are up, but the Halifax say they have crashed £40,000 this year,

the Natinwide say £38,000, and the LandReg say 15%. And mortgages are at a 30 year low.

Maybe it's about time some of these deluded sellers need to learn the basics of the law of gravitation by Isaac Newton .

HOLA446
HOLA447
Even Alan Sugars Amsprop company is buying property developments again.

That's the answer as far as I'm concerned. I'd trust his judgement more than anyone on here's.

I wouldn't.

Anyway, I was wondering which part of the press release you can't read or understand? In particular the bit about sellers being unrealistic.

Either way, I still support the removal of your troll status. I actually think people let you off the hook when they see you ar a troll, whereas if you were a simple bull, you would get savaged more.

HOLA448
Anything you don't like to hear is labeled trolling.

How about all your posts seem like trolling to me?

I can't believe people actually believe what they post on this site. It's just want they would LIKE to see happen. When it doesn't go to plan the dummy comes out of the pram.

If you think houses will drop 90% or you will be able to get a new car at a massive discount then don't let me put you off. Go and buy today.

You'll be living ooop north or in Wales though and your J reg Rover will blow up on the way to Asda. :lol:

:D Like your style sibley.

Can't see the RM argument that people this month are being unrealistic.

In January when asking prices dropped 1.9% they never queried how sensible sellers were. But suddenly this month Rightmove have been lumbered with a bunch of stupid sellers who don't know what they're doing. :o

The 0.9% increase is an average. People in the East Midlands actually reduced their asking prices whereas those in London asked 2.6% more. It's a nonsense to suggest that London folk are being unrealistic yet those in the East Midlands are wise and astute.

Maybe, just maybe, sellers are increasing prices for a valid reason.

HOLA449

Rightmove March +0.9%,

Lets forget for a minute about what we want to see and forget about being sidetracked by silly tongue in cheek posts.

Is anyone surprised?

As discussed to death we are in a bull trap. Although actual prices are falling the slight slowing down of the decline shows this and general viewing activity is definately up (evidence from everywhere) so is it surprising that vendors are putting an optomistic value on their property and EAs are capitulating?

Just read some of the many threads on this forum where so called bears think it is a good time to buy. Around 25% of the bears?

The truth, as I see it, is that we are around 50% through the crash in actual prices.

Facts? as I see them

Average prices have dropped around 20% to date.

We have approx 20 to 25% falls from current prices to go.

Speed of decline will increase once spring bounce is over and the economy deteriorates further.

As has happened on every other occasion prices will slow down and rate of fall will very slowly come to a halt. This could take several years or even much longer before rising.

Interest rates will rise dramatically once any growth in the economy is seen.

Q.E. will distort many of the above, will have a much bigger inflationary affect than offical forecasts, will erode our currency and destroy savings.

Money will become more scarce as what free money is left buys up the falling assets, but in the slightly longer term inflationary fiat monies will destroy any real value we have left.

edited to add

"to go"

Edited by Flat Bear

HOLA4410
Anything you don't like to hear is labeled trolling.

How about all your posts seem like trolling to me?

I can't believe people actually believe what they post on this site. It's just want they would LIKE to see happen. When it doesn't go to plan the dummy comes out of the pram. I'm sure the hope is that somebody in power will browse the site and be influenced into making a statement to cause panic to the public.

Come on then. How do you equate RM's asking prices with ACTUALs from both Nationwide and Halifax? You are our spokesperson so we want a good answer.

This weekend, I spent some time with an important business person in Zurich. He made me smile when he told me a little story. He advertises in one of the big national newspapers and noticed they kept running doom and gloom economy stories. He rang the editor and said he would pull out unless they stopped writing rubbish about everything going bust and started printing the good things that are happening in the economy. Quite rightly he told him that there was no reason to pay good money to be in a paper telling people not to spend. He wants good news so people get their hand in their pocket. As I said last week, the company I work for is creating at least 30 new jobs in a depressed area. Why isn't that in the news?

I spent last week in Sweden. The taxi driver said his business is down 30%. Massive knock on throughout Europe. Volvo shutting down and unemployment soaring.

30 jobs in a depressed area is nothing compared to the thousands losing their jobs. Add to that the thousands that work on contract through their own businesses and you suddenly have a lot of people doing nothing and having little or no income. How is that going to push house prices up?

You'll be living ooop north or in Wales though and your J reg Rover will blow up on the way to

Asda. :lol:

I live Ooop North and it is a damn sight more expensive than the shithole you live in. Get over yourself.

HOLA4411
Not at all.

Asking prices ALWAYS rise in spring, simply because that's when the 'kite fliers' come out to play. You know, those people who aren't particularly motivated and will only sell if a mug comes their way and offers to pay over the odds.

The Rightmove index is fundamentally flawed (as I've pointed out endless times on the forum) as it only measures the initial asking price of new instructions. It therefore only serves any purpose as a leading indicator of vendor delusion.

True, it's not seasonally adjusted. However, the important YoY has also declined slighly from -9.1% to -9.0%.

Recoveries always start with small gains initially.

HOLA4412

This is Money reports the Sugars went buying commercial property of £1bn in summer 2006 http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article....mp;in_page_id=2

Was that a good time?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/ma...runch.economics

19 March 2008 "Commercial property prices could fall by a further 15% after 'unprecedented' drop ends 14-year boom"

Not so sweet.

HOLA4413
True, it's not seasonally adjusted. However, the important YoY has also declined slighly from -9.1% to -9.0%.

Recoveries always start with small gains initially.

I would agree with you - unemployment, debt crisis, contraction in exports, real and/or perceived over-valuation of assets, are all likely indicators of a likely surge in property prices. And yes I am insane.

HOLA4414

My opinion on why (initial) asking prices are rising may be that the the seller has a price they have in mind that they are looking to sell for. They are then trying to 'price in', say, 20% below asking price offers and thus adding 20% onto their 'need to sell for' price to come up with this 'initial asking price'.

All it means is that buyers need to start asking for AT LEAST 40% the asking price in order to get anywhere close to the current actual selling prices.

That's if you're buying, that is. House prices are halving from where we are today. 60-70% average falls. This rightmove data hasn't changed any of the fundamentals.

HOLA4415

To be honest I think the survey and comments in the Rightmove are a pretty fair reflection of what is happening in the market right now.

My own view is 25% off peak asking price is where deals are being struck right now. Sellers are still deluded, agents are accepting instructions at about 10% below asking price and hoping to encourage sellrs to reduce later when they get an offer. Volumes are very low as a result.

The gap between asking and actual sales prices is still widening in my view. Low volumes of sales are the end result. Until that gap closes the volume will not pick up. Plain fact is many sellers just cannot afford to accept less than asking price as they would be in negative equity.

HOLA4416
Yep, home owners can ask what they want for a house, however that doesnt mean that they willl get it.

How many buyers do you know that can lay there hands on 20k or even 40k as a deposit? - probably hardly anyone.

Except those that STRd months ago.

So, yes prices are going up (according to Rightmove), but only through desperation.

Real life suggests otherwise.

Strange logic.

Its the age old con of putting property up for sale at a overvalued price then knocking a chunk off and Mr Gullible says look Mrs Gullible that property has dropped by X% lets buy it, its a good job most people are a lot wiser these days and with all the info on the internet its far easier to see if a property is a fair price.

HOLA4417

For a new listing that comes onto the market, say today, how can anyone guage exactly what that house is worth? When I sold my house I told the EA what I wanted it to go up for, this amount was £20k more than they advised, because thats what I valued it at. Prospective buyers turned up regardless of this £20k overpriced asking price. My point is there is no RRP for any house other than what people are prepared to pay, so all this % drop talk is totally dependent on what some spotty little EA thinks a house is worth when he views, not some fixed price for 3 bed semi's in that area for example.

HOLA4418
Hang on.

I can feel myself getting ready to give it the biggun.

This is stage 2 for HPC gang.

Anger.

I bet there will be millions of reasons why this can't be true. BUT.......it is.

Houses are going up. QE was the answer.

That's the answer as far as I'm concerned. I'd trust his judgement more than anyone on here's.

Whilst not normally one to agree with Sibley, I have evidence that commercial property vulture funds have taken QE as a trigger to buy and I know of several deals currently being fast tracked by groups with low gearing and lots of capital in the bank (mainly because they sold off their portfolio durung 2006/07).

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Hang on.

Anger.

nope... cant feel much of that. Amusement, maybe. Is amusement 'stage two'???

I bet there will be millions of reasons why this can't be true. BUT.......it is.

Houses are going up.

hahahahahaha here we go again hahahahaha

QE was the answer.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

that's right wibbly, the answer to 'too much debt' is... more debt!!! hahahahhaahh

You're fired

hahahahahahahahahahahahah

>wipes eyes< ah, wibbly, you are just TOO funny! Keep it up old chap!

HOLA4421
Hang on.

Anger.

Houses are going up. QE was the answer.

Denial

Anger

Bargaining

Depression

Acceptance

I've said this before, you sir are in the ANGER stage ;)

HOLA4422
Then why don't you drop him a line and see if he has any of those Emailer machines left.

You could rent one if his many empty commercial properties off him and fill it with them.

I'm sure they'd sell like hot cakes - especially if you you bundled each machine with a

snazzy Woolworths share certificate. He probably has a few kicking about after he bought

4% of the failed store at the end of last year.

I can see why he'd be your hero.

:lol:

HOLA4423

I don't feel anger, in fact I really don't feel anything.

I don't believe in much stats positive / negative because there is always a purpose behind it.

For me the facts are that unemployment is going up and we are not being encouraged to save.

House prices could rise for 500k for all I care. When you come to sell, whether it's your choice or you are forced into it via an external situation; that will be the only deciding mark on this whole house price subject.

I wish you luck.

Edited by kittingerjump

HOLA4424
This weekend, I spent some time with an important business person in Zurich. He made me smile when he told me a little story. He advertises in one of the big national newspapers and noticed they kept running doom and gloom economy stories. He rang the editor and said he would pull out unless they stopped writing rubbish about everything going bust and started printing the good things that are happening in the economy. Quite rightly he told him that there was no reason to pay good money to be in a paper telling people not to spend. He wants good news so people get their hand in their pocket. As I said last week, the company I work for is creating at least 30 new jobs in a depressed area. Why isn't that in the news?

Ok...and?

The moral of that story is... what, exactly? Why must newspapers print twaddle when it is completely obvious the opposite is true? Good news is great but unfortunately there's not much about right now.

What was the editor's response to the important business person?

As for the reason why your company creating 30 new jobs isn't in the news - um, who knows? Useless PR perhaps? Ring around a bit and I'm sure someone will run the story. Sounds like you need better people.

HOLA4425