House Price Crash Forum

Lost Job In Germany

what

HOLA441

Just lost my Job in Germany, unemployment here is growing faster

than in the UK and US.

Ok, now the questions, unemployment benefit here is 60% of your final

salary for one year. I do want to take it easy for 1 year hopefully the job market will

pick up next year.

Nothing around and my German is not really the best.

How does a 1 year gap look on your CV ? Do employers think what a lazy guy, taking a year

off or do they understand?

When will thing gets better ?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

than in the UK and US.

salary for one year. I do want to take it easy for 1 year hopefully the job market will

pick up next year.

How does a 1 year gap look on your CV ? Do employers think what a lazy guy, taking a year

I always look at it this way.

Do you really want to work for any **** who thinks a one year gap pissing it up is a bad thing to do with your life?

HOLA447

than in the UK and US.

pick up next year.

What part of Germany and what did you do, if I may ask?

Have a look at toytowngermany.com.. Members sometimes post jobs which do not requre German..

If you end up having to take the year off, and are worried about the gap. plug it by signing up for something serious at the vhs. www.vhs.de.

edit: http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showforum=212

Edited by Wuluf

HOLA448

than in the UK and US.

pick up next year.

It looks bad unless you fill it some how, or do something that looks worthy ie I'm supposed to be an accountant there will be a 8 month hole in my CV when (IF) I return from my trans Eurasian adventure which will take me all year (includes the time I've already been unemployed). But I can show them my trip photos as a get that one big trip out the way before I get too bogged down type mentality which many employers having not done this themselves are a tad more sympathetic to , though they will exploit with lower starting pay as a consequence.

If I wasn't going on this trip I would be mentoring students , doing some teaching on the side or getting another qualification to fill that void, it looks better than spend the last 12 months doing nothing.

As said you are welcome to join me on my big trans Eurasian adventure closing date is Friday when the Visas get applied for. You will need a motorbike and £2.5K as we are going out there uber cheap and only staying in hotels for visa registration purposes and cooking all our own food. And a sense of adventure , risk of failure is medium as there are some unpassable areas which we intend to have a crack at as we can dig each other out.

HOLA449
What part of Germany and what did you do, if I may ask?

Have a look at toytowngermany.com.. Members sometimes post jobs which do not requre German..

If you end up having to take the year off, and are worried about the gap. plug it by signing up for something serious at the vhs. www.vhs.de.

The problem is i am in East Germany where unemployment is 20%. Not too keen to move to the West but i think i might have to.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
I always look at it this way.

Do you really want to work for any **** who thinks a one year gap pissing it up is a bad thing to do with your life?

Those were my thoughts. I think it's a purely British thing where a gap of more than one day on your employment history turns you into some kind of unemployable workshy layabout.

Be creative, tell them you went to save the children in Africa for a year - it works for humanities grads.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
It looks bad unless you fill it some how, or do something that looks worthy ie I'm supposed to be an accountant there will be a 8 month hole in my CV when (IF) I return from my trans Eurasian adventure which will take me all year (includes the time I've already been unemployed). But I can show them my trip photos as a get that one big trip out the way before I get too bogged down type mentality which many employers having not done this themselves are a tad more sympathetic to , though they will exploit with lower starting pay as a consequence.

If I wasn't going on this trip I would be mentoring students , doing some teaching on the side or getting another qualification to fill that void, it looks better than spend the last 12 months doing nothing.

As said you are welcome to join me on my big trans Eurasian adventure closing date is Friday when the Visas get applied for. You will need a motorbike and £2.5K as we are going out there uber cheap and only staying in hotels for visa registration purposes and cooking all our own food. And a sense of adventure , risk of failure is medium as there are some unpassable areas which we intend to have a crack at as we can dig each other out.

Just back from S E Asia. How far are you traveling east?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

than in the UK and US.

pick up next year.

1) Things will not get better within the timescales you are referring to within the UK. I'd say things will get worse for the next 3-5 years.

2) Go "travelling" for a year.... it was one of your "life-times ambitions".... remember ;) .

After completing your life-time ambition of "travelling" for a year, look for further work overseas on your return to Germany.

- Do not return to the UK as there will be nothing here.

- With your skills I would try Switzerland ;) There are still opportunities out there. If not, try Canada, the ME, SE Asia.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Get another job, any job quick. Or else you'll be out of work for 3 years. Sorry, no holiday possible.
My advice also, for what it is worth. But I would not say 'any job'. A job needs to be acceptable to you. It can be a very bad thing to have a shit job, or in a shit company, or with a shit boss.

I suggest you try temping, if you cannot find an acceptable job soon.

PS Sorry you lost your job.

Edited by Fly by Night

HOLA4418
Just back from S E Asia. How far are you traveling east?

We are going to Magadan Russia (via azerbaijan , Kazahkstan and Mongolia), then back to Vladivostok for a ride around Korea, then across to Shandong on the ferry for a bus ride down to Hong Kong then decide what to do there.

HOLA4419

'what', I got back into electronics after five years at least driving a truck. As long as you have a plausible explanation and haven't been sitting on your **** in front of your X-Box you will be alright.

HOLA4420

than in the UK and US.

pick up next year.

Enroll in a school and improve your German.

There sorted.

HOLA4421

If asked about gaps on your CV, simply tap the side of your nose, slide your passport across their desk, nod toward it and mention The Official Secrets Act.

When they've noted the Russian and Korean etc stamps, flatly state 'It may be old-fashioned, sir....but I love this country..'

Edited by juvenal

HOLA4422
If asked about gaps on your CV, simply tap the side of your nose, slide your passport across their desk, nod toward it and mention The Official Secrets Act.

When they've noted the Russian and Korean etc stamps, flatly state 'It may be old-fashioned, sir....but I love this country..'

Thats not a bad idea actually , that reminds me to check if I have enough space in my passport for all those stamps!

Actually UK employment law plays nicely into this too since employers now want to see your UK passport to check if you are a citizen and eligible to work in the UK to avoid fines.

Edited by kennichi

HOLA4423

:lol: Brilliant. Will be in touch if I need career advice. :lol:

HOLA4424

than in the UK and US.

pick up next year.

Before this is over tens of millions will have a gap yar or two.

At the crossroads of my life the path ahead became over-grown and uncertain

HOLA4425

I suppose it depends a little if you still get the benefits if you leave germany.... things may be bad in germany but not much better..... As other poster said, I'd spend a few months perhaps brushing up your german( and your golf swing, fitness or whatever else takes your fancy) get a CV together, get it out to the major agencies etc etc... and see where you are in three months........ there may be a consultancy type job going somehwere if you have the skills .