House Price Crash Forum

Mortgage Arrangement Fees

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Why would you have to pay someone six or seven hundred pounds to buy something from them?

I completely fail to understand mortgage arrangement fees, can someone explain it to me?

The reason you would pay is that over the life cycle of the mortgage it is cheaper to pay a high fee for a low rate. I understand how some people would see it as a con. What is definitely a bit dodgy is that the fees can usually be added to the loan, no small change when they may be 2.5% of the loan and you add 25 years worth of interest on.

HOLA447
Why would you have to pay someone six or seven hundred pounds to buy something from them?

I completely fail to understand mortgage arrangement fees, can someone explain it to me?

It's a con, Harry. Money for old rope. If people said no, they would have to think again.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I remember one was 2 grand, but they add it to the mortgage, so the mongs dont really feel it..

Which of course ends up as 4 grand with the interest

Banks are cleaver, some say they are so cleaver that they could run their business into the ground and get the government to bail them out, with tax payers money (without a referendum) and then award themselves bonuses.

But I cant really see that happeneing....can you

HOLA4412
Banks are cleaver, some say they are so cleaver that they could run their business into the ground and get the government to bail them out, with tax payers money (without a referendum) and then award themselves bonuses

Nelly, you have a wild imagination. Something so outrageous could never happen.

You should make movies. :lol:

HOLA4413
It's a con, Harry. Money for old rope. If people said no, they would have to think again.

It is a rip-off..not a confidence trick...and a rip-off which is allowed to continue because all banks/moneylenders/thieves agree to make and mask the scam as something justifiable.

EDIT:

Nope...you were correct Tinker...it is a con! :lol:

Edited by confused.don

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

in theory it isn't really a scam at all, and can be good for you if the circumstances are right.

if you know for sure that you will be staying in the place for a long period of time, it can be worth paying an arrangement fee to get a lower fixed rate.

it just takes a bit of math and some solid guesses about the future.

the banks really do have to make a profit, so it's usually either higher rates, or a bigger arrangement fee.

since the people at large are happier having the fee tacked on to the mortgage, that's what's usually done.

Edited by Mr Nice

HOLA4418

its a marketing thing.

remember cheap mail order PCs.....yes you'd get your 468DX processor...but Tiny used to sell them with a mezzanine board attached to a 386SX motherboard, and people brought them into the shop when Tiny failed to do anything about the reliability, and people used to wonder at the speed of our demo machine, which outperformed all their own "top of the range" Pcs bought cheaply from Mail order, yet ( and I refer to some years ago, our 486SX33 PC would outperform all the cheap new Pentiums)/ the reason being the whole PC is a chain of components, so pop the headline as the processor, put crap in the rest of the chain. This reduced the headline cost.

Its the package they see on the advert that sucks them in.... so in the case of mortgages, they see the Headline 2.99% Interest rate, and its that they remember when they are paying the monthlys, but the bank has their fee UP FRONT, so making the total cost for the two year deal or whatever higher, and yet the bank is also earning interest on the fee YOU paid upfront, rather than you.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Mortgage arrangement fees serve two purposes:

1. Immediate, recordable profits for the bank to help rebuild their balance sheets. They also want you to pay it rather than add it onto the loan so it counts as reserves. (some dont let you add it to the loan, that would not count as reserves although it is effectively the same thing).

2. Tie you in. When your deal ends, you go onto whatever rate they choose or stump up more fees.

As you may have noticed, this is not for your benefit.

The fees are so large that I am just reducing offers to levels where I dont need a mortgage.

VMR.

HOLA4421

A mortgage is just a financial 'product' The product maker has to make a profit on that product against what is in reality very stiff competition. If they'd actually been screwing us then they wouldn't be technically bust, would they?

The profit from this type of monthly payment product comes from the continuation of those payments (obviously). But, apart from the competition, the lenders have to account for such things as the future (a total unknown as we're discovering), customers switching deals and defaults as well as deals not going through.

Arrangements fees are just part of that mix.

economicvoicedotcom

HOLA4422
A mortgage is just a financial 'product' The product maker has to make a profit on that product against what is in reality very stiff competition. If they'd actually been screwing us then they wouldn't be technically bust, would they?

The profit from this type of monthly payment product comes from the continuation of those payments (obviously). But, apart from the competition, the lenders have to account for such things as the future (a total unknown as we're discovering), customers switching deals and defaults as well as deals not going through.

That's fair enough, but the simple way to male it fair would be a requirement that the arrangement fee be included in the headline rate, or repayment calculations. So an example costing £1200 over 2 years would have £50 per month added to the example repayments, or the equivilent interest rate.

HOLA4423
That's fair enough, but the simple way to male it fair would be a requirement that the arrangement fee be included in the headline rate, or repayment calculations. So an example costing £1200 over 2 years would have £50 per month added to the example repayments, or the equivilent interest rate.

but you can do it yourself with a pencil and paper or calculator.

the bank has an obligation to be open about the fees that they will be charging, but it really is up to the buyer to run the numbers and see if it works for them.

not that I don't think that the banks have been a bit sly over the past several years, but they only really could do it because the buyers were so apathetic about the whole process.

I would almost say that it is MORE unfair for a buyer to have read the contract, agreed to the terms, then complain a year or two later when their gamble doesn't pay off.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

economicvoicedotcom

Your argument doesn'h hold water. It's perfectly possible for them to screw us on the mortgage front, making juicy profits, and then spunk the money on bad investment decisions in other areas and come out as a net loss with humungous liabilities