HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Hmmm. Announced it at 2.25 so they would not have to put it on the lunchtime news.

Now ramping the feel-good factor in 'theatreland'.

I don't what clock you're using, its date stamped 13:25.

Following Iceland's Minister of Commerce Bjorgvin Sigurdsson resigning yesterday and the fact that it is a coalition govt, this was inevitable.

The Prime Minister had already announced the election for May on Friday so maybe it'll be earlier now?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Took them long enough.

If anything this gives me very little hope for the UK. Approx one quarter of the population of Iceland was rioting outside parliament (more than once) trying to get them to resign.

Chances of most Brits actually doing anything are slim, to say the least.

It wasn't a quarter of the population, just a few thousand.

It turned violent last week when a policeman was hit over the head with a frozen skate wing

(I jest), but it was nasty.

The problem that faces the Icelandic people now is - who to vote for in the election ?

There is no credible opposition, unless some sort of new left-wing People's Party comes

to the fore very shortly.

Their only assets now are fishing, aluminium and tourism - it's going to take them years to

pay back just the IMF loan, never mind other creditors.

Harsh times ahead in Iceland.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

"But last month European Union Enlargement Commissioner Olli Rehn said the island might apply for membership as soon as this year. "

Another bust nation under the caring wing of the EU. Later, when Germany can't afford to look after us all any more, the EU may finally dissolve....

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Why vote, the existence of government is the problem. When you eradicate the government you will solve a lot of problems. Of course people will then have to be responsible for themselves. I don't think this island is capable of that just yet as it seems to consist of big kids with little education and an inability to think.

Maybe the people of Iceland will lead the way and abolish central government.

HOLA4420
I am very surprised this even got any coverage to be honest.

Has anyone else seen any media coverage of the riots which bought this about? I might be looking into this too much but has their been media black out on this? For that matter they haven’t mentioned any of the (economic related) civil unrest in Greece.

There were at least 3 threads on it on here as well as this in the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/2...tests-recession

Rueters covered it as well.

Sorry, just shout la la la and put your fingers in your ears.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Hmmm. Announced it at 1.25 so they would not have to put it on the lunchtime news.

Now ramping the feel-good factor in 'theatreland'.

As much as we know it's a scam, can you imagine the carnage if everyone was truly scared and stopped spending? It would be gruesome.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
There were at least 3 threads on it on here as well as this in the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/2...tests-recession

Rueters covered it as well.

Sorry, just shout la la la and put your fingers in your ears.

I meant on media consumed by the masses – TV coverage, tabloids etc. Unless you consider the Guardian and threads on HPC to be mainstream channels of communication?!

Obviously neighbour countries (who we helped kick into the financial abyss) protesting, rioting and overthrowing their leaders just doesn’t cut it

As news worthy these days – my mistake sorry.