House Price Crash Forum

Rampant Food Inflation

Dr Doom

HOLA441

This item is now up to 33p, up from 15p about 18 months ago.

A 120% price increase, incredible!

My theory is the budget items, are going to see the biggest price rises as

peoples' spending patterns have shifted towards the budget range as

household expenditure is squeezed.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
No one said anything about the price of frozen chips and pies!

...but seriously, picking one random product is meaningless. I noted Tescos had knocked down the price on a number of things this week. Without an overall comparison this thread is wasting our time.

It isn't wasting my time, but you can clear off and read something else if you want. I'm sure on a rainy Sunday afternoon you'll find far more self important things to do.

"one random product is meaningless". It isn't when it's something someone regularly buys, added to other products that have been 'Jacked' up.

This greater expence that has to come from somewhere.

Food price increases, the commenting upon it and reporting of it to our fellow citizens is important.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Partial requote: sat 8th nov 2008. 'Tesco Boss Put Pressure On Bank To Cut Rate'.

"Not to mention tesco's 'value' mustard going up from 45p to 81p overnight. RIP OFF.

And their tesco pink salmon going up from 80p a tin to £1.78 or such.

And that new leadenhammer cheese thing, was 82p for a 250g when it come out about 4 weeks ago. (when I noticed it) then 2 weeks ago it went up to £1.49. NOW its £1.89 odd.

Tesco is a bloody disgrace.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Toss co's own 'Value' brand mustard going up from 45p to 81p overnight. A 70% or so increase!!! :angry: :angry: I'm bloody OUTRAGED!!!

That cheap mustard cr@p used to go for 25p in any Euro supermarket, Aldi, Lydl etc.

then recently THEY ALL PRICE FIXED IT AT around the 45p mark, now I bet all of them want around the 80p mark.

It's dear at Morrisons I bet.

The ONLY decent product Morrison sells is their 'value' brand brown sauce at around 20 odd p.

it is not 'watery' like tesco's sainsburys etc's vile stuff.

It's quite firm, and has a HP fruity sauce flavour.

I have it on my bacon that I get for £1.25 a 908g pack, off a local indoor meat market.

Has anyone brought a tin of Tesco's bangers and beans at around 40p.

The main ingredient on many of toss co's products is WATER.

This tin of bangers and beens off tesco's is so WATERY, I bet they just put a different label on it and stick it next to 'Elven' water in their bottled water section. (I brought 5 tins and then took them back)

(All they are doing on a lot of tesco's products lately is to INCREASE the WATER contents).

Sainsbury's bangers and beens for around the same price is SO much better, a few slices of bread and thats a very cheap meal.

People ARE buying up the 'value' brands so much more these days.

THAT is why the Supermarkets are PRICE FIXING their 'value' brands to a much higher level, or discontinuing them altogether.

The 'value' product are no longer a 'value' product anymore in many cases.

We are getting ripped off.

Sure thing, supermarkets may well bring down some products by 1p or such, so they can claim to have 2000 price reductions this week. (you can't buy up 2000 products to save £20.)

BUT when they are raising the prices by up to over 100% or so on popular items, even from 80p to £1.78 on their own brand pink salmon overnight and PRICE FIXING IT WITH OTHER SUPERMARKETS.

THEN it is a rip off, then it is a big problem.

OH, I SEE.

If some % of house buyers are paying 1.5% less in mortgages, then EVERYBODY in the UK is to be charged more for their food from the supermarkets.

That's what it is.

Getting their pound of flesh before the Energy and Utility companies stuff their trouts in the troff.

Instant overnight price increases cause of the base rate decrease.

HOLA443
HOLA444
This item is now up to 33p, up from 15p about 18 months ago.

A 120% price increase, incredible!

My theory is the budget items, are going to see the biggest price rises as

peoples' spending patterns have shifted towards the budget range as

household expenditure is squeezed.

baked beans (the survivalistas trusty standby) have rocketed in price. Tescos own - now £2.16 for 6 cans. I suspect at present this reflects high energy costs over the summer - canning is a relatively energy intensive food production method.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
I would but kilner jars cost a bloody fortune!

You don't need kilner jars though - any old screw top jar will do, you just need to boil the jars (and their lids) for 5 mins in a big pan to sterilise them. You put the stuff in whilst still hot and as it cools the steam in the air space condenses to give a partial vacuum and a good seal.

HOLA448
People ARE buying up the 'value' brands so much more these days.

THAT is why the Supermarkets are PRICE FIXING their 'value' brands to a much higher level, or discontinuing them altogether.

The 'value' product are no longer a 'value' product anymore in many cases.

We are getting ripped off.

Sure thing, supermarkets may well bring down some products by 1p or such, so they can claim to have 2000 price reductions this week. (you can't buy up 2000 products to save £20.)

BUT when they are raising the prices by up to over 100% or so on popular items, even from 80p to £1.78 on their own brand pink salmon overnight and PRICE FIXING IT WITH OTHER SUPERMARKETS.

THEN it is a rip off, then it is a big problem.

Damn right.

HOLA449

Have noticed more and more recently:

The price stays the same but,

The weight is less.

The olive oil I bought not the same as it used to be, not so thick more diluted.

Packet of crisps 18g instead of 28g or 35g.

Cheaper ingredients.

Sometimes you don't notice, but it gets to a point when you fail not to notice. ;)

HOLA4410
You don't need kilner jars though - any old screw top jar will do, you just need to boil the jars (and their lids) for 5 mins in a big pan to sterilise them. You put the stuff in whilst still hot and as it cools the steam in the air space condenses to give a partial vacuum and a good seal.

I have always been dubious of home preservation because of the risk of botulism. I suspect tomatoes are acidic enough for this not to be an issue but Im still uneasy about it. I would want to test the PH and consider salting before putting in the jar

HOLA4411
Have noticed more and more recently:

The price stays the same but,

The weight is less.

The olive oil I bought not the same as it used to be, not so thick more diluted.

Packet of crisps 18g instead of 28g or 35g.

Cheaper ingredients.

Sometimes you don't notice, but it gets to a point when you fail not to notice. ;)

Look out for the new Tescos advertising campaign " Sensible protions form Tesco's - We do not make your kids fat".

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
  • 6 months later...
HOLA4414

Just continuing this thread, just been to sainsburies tonight to pick up some tomatoes for a curry,

and they are now.....

35 pence!!!!

so in the space of 18 months since i started the thread they've gone from:

15p

21p

33p

35p

where will it end, this looks like it could be the early stages of hyperinflation...protect yourself

HOLA4415
Just continuing this thread, just been to sainsburies tonight to pick up some tomatoes for a curry,

and they are now.....

35 pence!!!!

15p

21p

33p

35p

where will it end, this looks like it could be the early stages of hyperinflation...protect yourself

How? Buy a lifetimes supply of food right now?

HOLA4416
How? Buy a lifetimes supply of food right now?

Why not? That's what i would do if i had a big enough cellar.

I have about 3 months supply of tomato soup ready for when the food riots begin.

Wilkinsons were selling off their remaining stock for 12 pence a tin,

for heinz tomato soup! fools ! :-)

HOLA4417
Guest Daddy Bear

and they are now.....

35 pence!!!!

15p

21p

33p

35p

:D

HOLA4418
Why not? That's what i would do if i had a big enough cellar.

I have about 3 months supply of tomato soup ready for when the food riots begin.

Wilkinsons were selling off their remaining stock for 12 pence a tin,

for heinz tomato soup! fools ! :-)

because you need fresh veg (which you can grow if youhave time and space and resources)

and stuff goes off or gets eaten.

And we can't all do it.

(I've got some well stocked cupboards but not quite siege mentality yet)

HOLA4419
Guest absolutezero

and they are now.....

35 pence!!!!

15p

21p

33p

35p

Are tomatoes out of season?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
TINNED TUNA

Tuna steaks in saltwater - gone through the FOOKIN' roof everywhere!

tell me about it- even the econSHit tuna at saino's gone from 28p to 57p in 8 months!!! fooken ell - i can sympathise with hyperinlfationists with these stats :angry: :angry:

HOLA4422
Guest absolutezero
for 18 months?

Fair point.

Could also be that maybe the supermarket had them as a loss leader (like milk) and have decided no more.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425